• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

I put up my Black Panther 1 sketch variant last night for auction, with what I thought was a high BIN, and someone jumped on it this morning:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Panther-1-2009-CGC-9-6-Campbell-Sketch-NYCC-Variant-Low-print-run-RARE-/152049695619?

I added it to my watch list... I figured it wouldn't last long... first graded copy to hit the market I've seen... like I've said before... this book is going to be a monster, black panther is gaining a lot of popularity due to civil war and the new comic series that came out... I had several offers for my raw copy of $600 plus sight unseen... June can't get here soon enough so I can get my 2 copies signed by Campbell and slabbed...

So, any opinions on how much I left on the table by not leaving it as an auction-only without a BIN? I seriously didn't think it would pop that soon, but in hindsight, with only 4 graded copies (2 9.6s and 2 9.8s) I probably should have known better.

That's why you should have sacked up and done a straight no reserve. :baiting:

Great result for you either way. But I do think people are (over) paying for this book without knowing how rare it really is, and looking for "the next" UXM 510 sketch.

Convention books handed out directly to fans have no print run guidelines (yeah, yeah, yeah) and they don't really seem to follow the typical slabbing patterns either.

-J.

I agree with J. Left some money on table? Who knows at this point. Congrats on the sale. You still won at the end with a nice very sold price.

I put up my Black Panther 1 sketch variant last night for auction, with what I thought was a high BIN, and someone jumped on it this morning:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Panther-1-2009-CGC-9-6-Campbell-Sketch-NYCC-Variant-Low-print-run-RARE-/152049695619?

I added it to my watch list... I figured it wouldn't last long... first graded copy to hit the market I've seen... like I've said before... this book is going to be a monster, black panther is gaining a lot of popularity due to civil war and the new comic series that came out... I had several offers for my raw copy of $600 plus sight unseen... June can't get here soon enough so I can get my 2 copies signed by Campbell and slabbed...

So, any opinions on how much I left on the table by not leaving it as an auction-only without a BIN? I seriously didn't think it would pop that soon, but in hindsight, with only 4 graded copies (2 9.6s and 2 9.8s) I probably should have known better.

Great result for you either way. But I do think people are (over) paying for this book without knowing how rare it really is, and looking for "the next" UXM 510 sketch.

Convention books handed out directly to fans have no print run guidelines (yeah, yeah, yeah) and they don't really seem to follow the typical slabbing patterns either.

-J.

The story about it on Marvel's website describes it as "a very exclusive, very limited spotlight variant cover" that "was printed in an extremely low quantity and distributed for free exclusively to fans that attended the Marvel panels." No actual numbers, true, but if they're honest, then the max number is the number of attendees of those panels.

http://marvel.com/news/comics/6859/nycc_09_exclusive_black_panther_1_variant_cover_

-J.

The story about it on Marvel's website describes it as "a very exclusive, very limited spotlight variant cover" that "was printed in an extremely low quantity and distributed for free exclusively to fans that attended the Marvel panels." No actual numbers, true, but if they're honest, then the max number is the number of attendees of those panels.

http://marvel.com/news/comics/6859/nycc_09_exclusive_black_panther_1_variant_cover_

77,000 people attended the NYC Con in 2009.

How many of those people attended the Marvel panels?

Most likely, a lot.

I do believe the book is relatively rare but I don't believe it is as rare as many people seem to believe it is.

-J.

-J.

Most likely, a lot.

I do believe the book is relatively rare but I don't believe it is as rare as many people seem to believe it is.

-J.

I think it's because the book has low census #s. Only 2 graded in 9.8? curious to see what the census #s will look like after a year.

-J.

Most likely, a lot.

-J.

The number of people that attended the convention is far more than the people that attend panels. Keep in mind a lot of people aren't even there for comics, and once the panel rooms are full, they close it off. The Marvel and DC panel rooms are generally in the larger panel rooms (not the rooms that they do the movie and television stuff in, but the ones in the panel area), and they were only distributed at two panels, according to the article. I would guess about 1000 were distributed, but of course not everyone is going to have a mylar available to immediately protect it, so the number in high grade are going to be significantly less than that probably.

Don't know if this info is the same as 2009, but it's something:

http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/About/Pros/Speaker-Manual/Panel-Room-AV-Specifications/

Was the Alias comic handed out last year just at the Marvel booth or some type of panel? Only reason I ask is because people said there were endless stacks of them. Granted, 1,000 comics piled up looks like a lot.

Edited by ygogolak

Was the Alias comic handed out last year just at the Marvel booth or some type of panel? Only reason I ask is because people said there were endless stacks of them. Granted, 1,000 comics piled up looks like a lot.

No, that one was handed out at the booth. There was a setup where you could take pics at a desk with a backdrop that looked like her office, and they handed them out to people there. They probably also gave them out at the Jessica Jones panel and screening, and they may have even been available as freebies in general. It's also a thinner book, which suggests to me it was a mass-produced giveaway.

I'm so confused... what is happening??? superman gen13 :ohnoez:

Is it just me or is that cover not very good?

-BIGS

That goes for all of Campbell's covers. He draws Barbie dolls that couldn't possibly function as an actual organic being in reality.

Look up Lindesy Pelas. Definitely real, definitely natural and certainly an exception to the rule. :luhv:

Not sure if J Scott knows her or not but she sure as heck looks like some of the drawings he creates.

-BIGS

That goes for all of Campbell's covers. He draws Barbie dolls that couldn't possibly function as an actual organic being in reality.

I'm still in the appreciation thread right? (shrug)

-BIGS

but certainly, not ALL of them are winners.

I'm actually more of fan of his 'masked' heroes than his 'faces', which all kind of look the same to me (the nose!). But I'm a big fan of his Spider-man and Spider-Gwen art.

Proportionwise ....well comics are fantasy art. GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT!! (unlike Zack Snyder)

-BIGS

I appreciate the boatload of money the books can bring in.