• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

I put up my Black Panther 1 sketch variant last night for auction, with what I thought was a high BIN, and someone jumped on it this morning:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Panther-1-2009-CGC-9-6-Campbell-Sketch-NYCC-Variant-Low-print-run-RARE-/152049695619?

I added it to my watch list... I figured it wouldn't last long... first graded copy to hit the market I've seen... like I've said before... this book is going to be a monster, black panther is gaining a lot of popularity due to civil war and the new comic series that came out... I had several offers for my raw copy of $600 plus sight unseen... June can't get here soon enough so I can get my 2 copies signed by Campbell and slabbed...

I put up my Black Panther 1 sketch variant last night for auction, with what I thought was a high BIN, and someone jumped on it this morning:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Panther-1-2009-CGC-9-6-Campbell-Sketch-NYCC-Variant-Low-print-run-RARE-/152049695619?

I added it to my watch list... I figured it wouldn't last long... first graded copy to hit the market I've seen... like I've said before... this book is going to be a monster, black panther is gaining a lot of popularity due to civil war and the new comic series that came out... I had several offers for my raw copy of $600 plus sight unseen... June can't get here soon enough so I can get my 2 copies signed by Campbell and slabbed...

So, any opinions on how much I left on the table by not leaving it as an auction-only without a BIN? I seriously didn't think it would pop that soon, but in hindsight, with only 4 graded copies (2 9.6s and 2 9.8s) I probably should have known better.

So, any opinions on how much I left on the table by not leaving it as an auction-only without a BIN? I seriously didn't think it would pop that soon, but in hindsight, with only 4 graded copies (2 9.6s and 2 9.8s) I probably should have known better.

I honestly don't know... I figured someone would have put a bid down to kill the BIN... I really wanted to see what it would fetch at auction

I'm not complaining about the sale; just curious. The result paid for the convention ticket where I got the book, the grading free, my CGC membership, and the convention ticket where I submitted it for grading, and I still have a chunk extra.

See, people; being interested in diversity in comics (the books were given away at a Marvel panel about diversity at NYCC), pays!

:roflmao: Well played buddy.

Jerome

That's why you should have sacked up and done a straight no reserve. :baiting:

Great result for you either way. But I do think people are (over) paying for this book without knowing how rare it really is, and looking for "the next" UXM 510 sketch.

Convention books handed out directly to fans have no print run guidelines (yeah, yeah, yeah) and they don't really seem to follow the typical slabbing patterns either.

-J.