• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

Just been sent an email from Midtown stating that one of the Invicible Iron Man #1 JSC covers (unarmored Riri Williams) has been cancelled... does anyone know why or have been sent this message? (shrug)

wonder if any of the unarmored variants made it to print and if they will just destroy those copies? Hopefully, someone saves a few copies and it hits feebay.

btw- is there any other artist that is a polarizing as JSC. hm

Milo Manara. Remember the Spider-Woman #1 variant OUTRAGE!! storm?

And after that, maybe Frank Cho?

It is still stupid.

Agree with Milo manara. However, JSC has a way bigger fan base than manara. if I recall correctly manara is no longer doing mavel covers. Anyone think that marvel will stop using JSC for doing cover art or vice versa? Highly doubt it.

Agree with Milo manara. However, JSC has a way bigger fan base than manara. if I recall correctly manara is no longer doing mavel covers. Anyone think that marvel will stop using JSC for doing cover art or vice versa? Highly doubt it.

Both parties would have to stop loving money.

Jerome

Certainly. Manara isn't even on the same level as JSC when it comes to fan following.

I think that the Spider-Woman controversy was what led Marvel to stop hiring him after a number of successful & relatively popular variants. But the blow-back on that one was big enough mixed with Manara not really drawing in significant numbers of fans on his art alone to make his variants super sought-after, led Marvel to cutting ties at least for a few years until the crazy train forgets about that incident.

On the flip side, JSC's popularity & draw, mixed with the relatively tame blow-back on this in comparison & the fact that it wasn't a Marvel variant, but a store variant and a little bit of both parties love of money for dessert, will lead Marvel to pretty much ignoring this one.

But is this even considered a Marvel variant (yes I know it is a Marvel book)? Do these store variants come under the same editorial consideration and scrutiny that an "official" variant does? I had a friend order a variant run from Marvel. It does not sound like editorial had much influence on the cover (granted it was non controversial, and could see no reason to reject it). He basically said I want to get this variant cover done. Marvel said you must order at least x number of copies and pay us for all of them. He then received his run of books with the cover he supplied.

I can't imagine Marvel NOT having veto power on store variants. Like for instance, if you had Spider-Man ripping someone in half & eating their organs on the cover while naked & borking the Black Cat, they probably have the right to be like "um no. That's just not gonna happen. Submit some not-awful art & we'll approve it"

Edited by Doktor

I can't imagine Marvel NOT having veto power on store variants. Like for instance, if you had Spider-Man ripping someone in half & eating their organs on the cover while naked & borking the Black Cat, they probably have the right to be like "um no. That's just not gonna happen. Submit some not-awful art & we'll approve it"

I am fairly sure somebody looks at request like that, but do they really come under the same level of scrutiny. Granted I have seen some covers that were official, so you never know. Would they see a JSC cover, especially with his long history of variants, and his fan base, and just rubber stamp it?

I would buy that variant...

But is this even considered a Marvel variant (yes I know it is a Marvel book)? Do these store variants come under the same editorial consideration and scrutiny that an "official" variant does? I had a friend order a variant run from Marvel. It does not sound like editorial had much influence on the cover (granted it was non controversial, and could see no reason to reject it). He basically said I want to get this variant cover done. Marvel said you must order at least x number of copies and pay us for all of them. He then received his run of books with the cover he supplied.

You basically just summed up how both store and convention organizer books get commissioned for printing through Marvel.

-J.

Certainly. Manara isn't even on the same level as JSC when it comes to fan following.

I think that the Spider-Woman controversy was what led Marvel to stop hiring him after a number of successful & relatively popular variants. But the blow-back on that one was big enough mixed with Manara not really drawing in significant numbers of fans on his art alone to make his variants super sought-after, led Marvel to cutting ties at least for a few years until the crazy train forgets about that incident.

On the flip side, JSC's popularity & draw, mixed with the relatively tame blow-back on this in comparison & the fact that it wasn't a Marvel variant, but a store variant and a little bit of both parties love of money for dessert, will lead Marvel to pretty much ignoring this one.

I'd say Milo Manara has his own following and it's hard to compare versus J. Scott Campbell, as Manara is seen as a legend within his European erotica niche, and is often seen as "an artist's artist" where professional artists admire his work (much like with Jordi Benet).

J. Scott Campbell is more like a Top 40 pop music type, a bonafide mainstream hit-maker. Where Manara isn't, mainly because of the subject matter more so than his style. J. Scott Campbell is like Maxim Magazine, where Manara isn't even Playboy, he's more like Hustler or Penthouse or even a bit more deviant in just how graphic he illustrates.

J. Scott Campbell draws "fun" pin-ups, rarely do they ever offend or conjure controversy. He's had work published for Disney and tows a PG to PG-13 line. This recent drama regarding the Iron Man cover seems blown way out of proportion with naysayers simply stirring the pot for the sake of wanting to create something that isn't. If you look at any fashion magazine, look at the marketing advertisements for teen clothes, etc. it's not as if you don't see how as bad as it may sound, the "sexy (not sex) sells" aspect is all over the place. You look at the Disney Channel actors, musicians, music videos, and pop culture in general. It's a shame for folks to even attempt to put J. Scott into any undeserved negative light. There are far worst offenders of what he's being accursed of, and just at face value, if you look at the artwork, there's nothing exploitative nor offensive about it, especially since you're talking about a FICTIONAL character.

Yeah, i follow and collect some Milo Manara covers so I am familiar with his work. Manara and Campbell have contrasting art styles for sure.

In terms of Manara covers, this is still my favorite marvel comic cover he has done.

51927c079d6cc.jpg

The flack that manara got for his spider woman cover was overblown tbh.

Good point on the Manara euro erotica art audience. Though how much of that would follow him to mainstream superhero comic covers? I don't know. So it's kind of an apples & oranges things. JSC is definitely a commercial hitmaker at least when it comes to followers. Pop music in comics is probably the best description vs Manara's more musician's musician following.

But regardless, I was just throwing Manara out as someone that's probably equally as polarizing..

And to be honest, all of these so-called "controversies" are wildly overblown by people that are just always finding or looking for something to be offended about.

It seems like 99% of the outrage comes from people that don't even understand comics, how they're made, or who is responsible for what bits of them.

And I would probably lay money that the few of those complaining most, if they buy or read comics at all, buy them digitally so they'd never even see this cover if they didn't go looking for something to get outraged about. I mean, some of the complaints were made to Campbell about the skin-tone coloring. As though he has anything to do with that or even really paid attention to it if he did see it. Like they don't even understand the difference between the jobs of penciller, inker and colorist.

It seems like 99% of the outrage comes from people that don't even understand comics, how they're made, or who is responsible for what bits of them.

And I would probably lay money that the few of those complaining most, if they buy or read comics at all, buy them digitally so they'd never even see this cover if they didn't go looking for something to get outraged about. I mean, some of the complaints were made to Campbell about the skin-tone coloring. As though he has anything to do with that or even really paid attention to it if he did see it. Like they don't even understand the difference between the jobs of penciller, inker and colorist.

This, so this. +1

Jerome

It's stupid. Gross misinterpretation of what he wanted to draw.

And according to his feed, it got to him this time, even more when he tried to avoid it... it's ridiculous and, again, stupid.

Anyway, big surprise tomorrow!