• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cool GA Crime

327 posts in this topic

Underworld True Crime Stories #3 has a fairly pedestrian cover, but the story 'The Widow of Death" about Belle Guiness is the sickest story I have ever seen in any pre-code comic, horror or crime. This is the most disturbing panel in a story loaded with violent images.

689727-uw3panel.jpg

Ugh! Is that a butcher knife through the kid's head?!?!! Or did she just whack him with something? Either way, a disturbing panel indeed!

Or is that Nanny 911? insane.gif

Geezus, that's over the top...

Maybe Wertham had a few points! confused-smiley-013.gif

You can't see it in the scan, but the "cigarette" box on the table says "Marijuana" and the vials say "Cocaine".

I never noticed the marijuana cigs on the table - now I have an excuse to add this to my "marijuana story" want list. Does the story involve weed, or just heroin?

I don't remember. I'll have to read it again. I'll check it out this weekend and let you know.

gg4.jpg

Tyhat LB Cole cover is yet ANOTHER callous on my poor butt. I bought this book fro Steve Higgins (owner of Outer Limits thumbsup2.gif) so many years ago and it went the way of my second to last butt-callous sale! frown.gif

The perspective is just amazing!

Well, if there's one thing I've learned from this thread it's that Biro was one sick mother [#@$%!!!].

Biro- maybe sick, maybe not. Great comic book writer either way IMO...

Bob Wood... Absolutely sick.- If you don't know what I mean do a little Google search on how he "ended" his career...

Pov, whatever ya paid for that Suspense Detective, it was worth it. thumbsup2.gif That's one to be proud of! What a great image, cutting the phone cord with the scissors and all. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks SH! It is appreciated. I actually saw it last month on my first trip with Brain to his LCS, but got those pre-codes I posted and this was just too much to add into them. But I thought about that book literally every day since then. The image is so simple - just scissors, a gun, a phone cord and a victim. But DANG it is powerful.

Funny thing - never saw it before seeing it last month, but as soon as I saw it it became a true grail. But I could not bypass the pre-code horror on that trip. But now - Crime is going to be as actively collected by me as horror. I love seeing the other books posted in this thread. I hope there be more to come!