• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cool GA Crime

327 posts in this topic

Dynamite #3 - 1st appearance of Johnny Dynamite - a severely underappreciated series

691461-Dynamite3.jpg

So I assume Mr. Dynamite lost his right eye in this issue? Or did they just change his appearance in the following issue to make his character seem grittier?

I went digging through some books that I've had for years last night, and found a few low grade but entertaining GA Crime. This one would actually be pretty nice if it didn't have a coffee stain(I hope its coffee!) running through the whole bottom of the book.

698465-exposed.jpg

698465-exposed.jpg.f02130eef52882d0e508f1d09574b726.jpg

This is one of my personal favorites, "The Polka Dot Gang"! This one always got a chuckle whenever I showed someone the cover.

698472-underworld.jpg

Yeah, I'm not sure that I'd be too intimidated by these guys.

Now that I think of it, does the term "polka dot" have anything to do with polka dancing/music? confused-smiley-013.gif

Now that I think of it, does the term "polka dot" have anything to do with polka dancing/music?

Yeah, Wertham had a fit because of this story. The Polka Dot gang kill their enemies by stuffing them with keilbasa.

Sweet book! Nice painted cover. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks. The posted Crime Does not Pay #103 was the personal copy of Walter Gibson, better known as Maxwell Grant, the creator of The Shadow. Walter wrote a story that was published in the #103 issue. He had other stories published in this series as well.

Thanks. The posted Crime Does not Pay #103 was the personal copy of Walter Gibson, better known as Maxwell Grant, the creator of The Shadow. Walter wrote a story that was published in the #103 issue. He had other stories published in this series as well.

That's a pretty neat pedigree!

Here's the latest addition to my quest for a complete Lev Gleason set. Not a "high grade copy", but by far the nicest of the 3 copies of this issue I've owned over the years. Super glossy and very flat with a nice white interior.

cap_68.jpg

Nice book but I'm curious about the Comic Code Logo in the star on this cover. Is this a precursor to the official CCA logo or just an attempt to appease the government?

700410-CCAs.jpg

700410-CCAs.jpg.b8d86a57c62c0ddf75e8d00104b649a4.jpg

Jayman-

It was an earlier attempt by a group of publishers and distributors to self-regulate content as the general level of grumbling was rising about the "comic book problem". ACMP stands for "Association of Comic Magazine Publishers" and it was founded in 1948. Some publishers (like DC & Dell) refused to join because they didn't want to be associated with the "bad comics". I know EC was a member until 1950. The ACMP fell apart and failed a few years later when the members simply couldn't agree to a group of standards.

Here is the original 1948 set of standards:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Code of the Association of Comics Magazine Publishers, 1948

1. Crime should not be presented in such a way as to throw sympathy against law and justice or to inspire other with the desire for imitation. No comics shall show the details and methods of a crime committed by a youth. Police-men, judges, Government officials, and respected institutions should not be portrayed as stupid or ineffective, or represented in such a way as to weaken respect for established authority.

2. No scenes of sadistic torture should be shown.

3. Sexy, wanton comics, should not be published. No drawing should show female indecently or unduly exposed and in no event more nude than in a bathing suit commonly work in the United States.

4. Vulgar and obscene language should never be used. Slang should be kept to a minimum and used only when essential to the story.

5. Divorce should not be treated humorously nor represented as glamorous or alluring.

6. Ridicule or attack on any religious or racial group is never permissible.

----------------------------------------------------------

I know that Lev Gleason, EC (until 1950), Famous Funnies, and Orbit (published crime comics like Wanted) were members. I'm not sure who else. I'm sure others can come up with covers displaying the seal.