• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cool GA Crime

327 posts in this topic

Atlas was also a member of this "pre-code" Code.

Yeah. To be honest I never saw much impact made by that '48 Code! I think many publishers basically stuck it on their books more for propriety than adherance. 1948 marked the early Wertham days, with his Reader's Digest article on comics and the publication of of his book THE SHOW OF VIOLENCE, which made some qallusions to the negative impact of comic books. Kind of an eerie precursor if what was to come!

the nice part of collecting this stuff is that condition isn't the only thing

(not that it is the only thing for everything else, but post a scan of a beat up book on the SA or BA forum and people will say "that's ugly", here it's "that's cool, never saw that one before")

i've got a nice run of painted cover CDNPs, which i'm going to put up once my wife teaches me how to use the scanner

Too bad these crime books aren't cheap anymore. Used to be 5-10 years ago you could pick up beat up readers for $1-3. I suppose they're more now, eh? Then again, these great covers weren't the cheap ones so often.

the nice part of collecting this stuff is that condition isn't the only thing

You got that right. I think a lot of us GA collectors have "beaters" they love as much as their high grade. I know I do. (and I know the SA and BA collectors have some low-grade they love, but definitely more prevelant in GA, probably due to the overall rareness of many GA books, and especially the "lesser" ones that weren;t collected as much.

i've got a nice run of painted cover CDNPs, which i'm going to put up once my wife teaches me how to use the scanner

Funny thing. Last trip with Brain to Joe Field's Flying Color Comics was gping through some GA boxes and came upon a number of CDNP painted covers. To be honest, this was the first time I had seen the painted covers (seemed to be in the high 90's or low 100's for the issue numbers). I do NOT usually like painted covers but was really taken with these. But I hd met my budget with some pre-codes in higher grade and had to pass. But will also be seeking these at Wondercon. There's something about a painted Crime Cover that makes the perception go out of whack, if you know what I mean! grin.gif

this sort of thread annoys me because i live in an apartment

the books i have here, probably about 2000 books, are stuffed in a closet and it's a pain to get them

most of my stuff (about another 8000 books) is in an off site storage room, so really inaccesible.

so i can't find my 40s and 50s crime books to look at em right now.

annoying! i think i need a house with a comic room.

This threads gotten a bit quiet - so I'll post a few more of my favorite crime covers.

True Crime #3 - As much as I love Jack Cole's Plasticman - his crime and horror stuff is just as good!

702432-Truecrime3.jpg

702432-Truecrime3.jpg.a6735749e94c77ffdbd4c3236c4f7c8d.jpg

This threads gotten a bit quiet - so I'll post a few more of my favorite crime covers.

True Crime #3 - As much as I love Jack Cole's Plasticman - his crime and horror stuff is just as good!

702432-Truecrime3.jpg

I know that cover and it is just - well - memorable? grin.gif I am makijg quite a precode crime list and this one is on it as well. Nice to see it in a decent sized image. Makes me want it all the more!

This surreal cover is another favorite of mine - Wanted #50. The garish color scheme is just too wild!

Unlike much pre-code crime the later issues of Wanted are great reading! I'll try and post more in future.

702461-wanted50.jpg

702461-wanted50.jpg.2b1961679512b544c4e7c97dd3634b60.jpg

here's another for your list pov - if you don't already have it. Underworld #7 - of course no story inside matches up with this memorable cover.

702447-Underworld7.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gifheadbang.gif That is definately on my want list!! & Scarce to boot!!

I may have posted this on another thread, but this arrived in my mailbox today.

122203aj.jpg

That is VERY cool, DD. How many times have we seen more modern horror tales in the movies with the television reflecting what vwas to come? A real film/comic horror collector's dream! I want one! cloud9.gif

I may have posted this on another thread, but this arrived in my mailbox today.

122203aj.jpg

I have not read this issue yet. Should I assume, since there is an axe on the coffee table along with neatly stacked Fortune magazines, the nice lady is the axe killer and she is turning up the TV to hear the news story?