• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cool GA Crime

327 posts in this topic

did you notice how the teeth of the guy behind bars are green? i think the colorist thought the teeth were the coattail of the shooter.

My local comic shop guy is bringing in a box full of crime books from the 1950s for me to look through. He said all the books will be between VG and Fine, and if we can agree on the grades he's going to sell them to me for half OS guide price.

Question: I don't buy this stuff regularly and would like to know whether OS pricing is accurate for these type books in this grade range. Also, are there any titles that are just super low quality and I should avoid at all costs? And, conversely, any titles that I should pick up without hesitation?

Any help would be much appreciated. I hate overpaying for books that sell for fractions of their guide prices. Thanks!

I would be leary of that deal. While classic covers and stories will sell for guide or above, judging by prices on ebay, the vast majority of pre-code crime books sell for 20-40% of guide, even in higher grade, this even includes most later issues of well known titles like Crime Does Not Pay. Issues with femme fatale or headlight/bondage covers, and/or art by the likes of Cole, Baker, Toth, Wood & Simon & Kirby usuallyt go for 50% of guide or more, but most pre-code crime, especially from the 1950s is pretty dull stuff, and has little demand, especially compared to pre-code horror.

I would be leary of that deal. While classic covers and stories will sell for guide or above, judging by prices on ebay, the vast majority of pre-code crime books sell for 20-40% of guide, even in higher grade, this even includes most later issues of well known titles like Crime Does Not Pay. Issues with femme fatale or headlight/bondage covers, and/or art by the likes of Cole, Baker, Toth, Wood & Simon & Kirby usuallyt go for 50% of guide or more, but most pre-code crime, especially from the 1950s is pretty dull stuff, and has little demand, especially compared to pre-code horror.

Ah, just the kind of info that I needed, thanks!

I posted this in my WonderCon thread, but wanted to give it a permanent home here. Picked it up from Redbeard at a nice fellow-scuba-fan-discount price.

perfectcrime5-85.jpg

Hey Scott!

When you showed that book to me I was really taken with it. I remember starting to do Russian accents when I was talking about it.

A really sweet pickup. I saw it and thought about buying it myself but, to paraphrase Jack London in JOHN BARLEYCORN, "I had the craving for BA Horror and it was upon me!".

Glad it went to a good home! thumbsup2.gif

I just saw this. Cool book. Now I know it went to a good home. Nice snipe thumbsup2.gif That'll teach me never again not to bid aggressively enough. Do you agree with the VG+ they advertised?

This was a CGC graded book but not a vg+ so you have me/it confused with something else.

Adam,

sorry if I confused you, I was talking about the Fight Against Crime 6 that Wolverine posted. I was bidding on that one as well.

my bad. sorry.gif

I just saw this. Cool book. Now I know it went to a good home. Nice snipe thumbsup2.gif That'll teach me never again not to bid aggressively enough. Do you agree with the VG+ they advertised?

I think it is in the Very Good range. The spine seems to be the only thing that is really damaged. Its a great copy to pick up for only $30.00...Where you the bidder underneath me? I wasn't going to bid on this comic, I was bidding on the Tales from the Crypt #28 but luckily I checked out their other auctions. When I saw this comic I just had to bid!

Yeah,

also you slightly beat me on the Tales from the Crypt too. tonofbricks.gif I mean slightly as we put bids within a dollar of each other, only yours was higher. At least we agree to the valuation of these. I was bidding on their Mystery Tales 1 (lost that one too). I only won the Hot Rod and Speedway (and paid a little too much for it).

Finally - CDNP #42 - a fantastic and underrated electric chair cover.

711850-CDNP42.jpg

Really great books! 893applaud-thumb.gif

That cover is amazing. What % of guide would a nice mid-grade copy get? Does this issue fetch a premium? How rare is it? I would love to track down a copy....

You would think that it would go for close to guide, as Overstreet doesn't attach much of a premium to it, but a year ago I sold a bunch of low grade lower number CDNP, and they all fetched about half of guide on Ebay, including a VG- copy of issue #42. While #22, #24 & #33 sell for over guide, the rest of the run seems to be available for well under. Except for the first three issues, CDNP is a fairly easy title to find as it was one of the best selling titles of the GA.

You would think that it would go for close to guide, as Overstreet doesn't attach much of a premium to it, but a year ago I sold a bunch of low grade lower number CDNP, and they all fetched about half of guide on Ebay, including a VG- copy of issue #42. While #22, #24 & #33 sell for over guide, the rest of the run seems to be available for well under. Except for the first three issues, CDNP is a fairly easy title to find as it was one of the best selling titles of the GA.

Great! Now maybe I actaully have a chance at affording a GA book I want. Thanks for the info. thumbsup2.gif