• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERGIRL official TV show thread
3 3

2,562 posts in this topic

Not sure what everyone is worked up about considering they easily could have done something completely different from the comics which would have had us really spooned off. This costume is a classic costume with the skirt which easily could have been a pair of pants/tights. The bucaneer-style boots that cover the knees were used around 1971 when DC did a costume change. As someone above noted, look at how Marvel Studios finally screwed up a costume with the Scarlet Witch given the sports jacket and mild goth-look.

Edited by zosocane

27889565-27889586-large.jpg

It was a great costume, wasn't it? Superheroes could wear bright colours back in the 70s/80s... but not any more :( Nothing was ever the same after the 90s... I guess the costume designers listened to too much Grunge ;)

It was a great costume, wasn't it? Superheroes could wear bright colours back in the 70s/80s... but not any more :( Nothing was ever the same after the 90s... I guess the costume designers listened to too much Grunge ;)

"LOVE THAT CHICKEN" :D

xxx ooo

Rupp

But I love that chicken.

Not sure what everyone is worked up about considering they easily could have done something completely different from the comics which would have had us really spooned off. This costume is a classic costume with the skirt which easily could have been a pair of pants/tights. The bucaneer-style boots that cover the knees were used around 1971 when DC did a costume change. As someone above noted, look at how Marvel Studios finally screwed up a costume with the Scarlet Witch given the sports jacket and mild goth-look.
Animated Supergirl's look was different and didn't me off. Michael Turner's look was different and didn't me off. It was implied in Captain America: Winter Soldier, Scarlet Witch was a captive and mentally tortured young adult (sorry, I guess you didn't watch it yet), so I can buy the angry goth gurl look as it lends to plot somewhat (like the red Starfleet uniforms introduced in Wrath of Khan as the tone became more military). I think everyone on here has right to doubt, when a costume faux-pas (Captain America's in The Avengers) takes away from the impact of one of their favorite characters. Melissa Benoist dominated her small part in Whiplash, and is more than capable of playing a girl od steel, but in that gender flipped Man of Steel outfit, it's gonna be a uphill battle. I think she desrved something that she could have made her own.

Yeah, she definitely WAS hot, but it is nice to see Hollywood types age normally.

+1. For those of us old enough, 30 years certainly will age anyone and Helen is not immune to Father Time. She still looks good.

Animated Supergirl's look was different and didn't me off. Michael Turner's look was different and didn't me off. It was implied in Captain America: Winter Soldier, Scarlet Witch was a captive and mentally tortured young adult (sorry, I guess you didn't watch it yet), so I can buy the angry goth gurl look as it lends to plot somewhat (like the red Starfleet uniforms introduced in Wrath of Khan as the tone became more military). I think everyone on here has right to doubt, when a costume faux-pas (Captain America's in The Avengers) takes away from the impact of one of their favorite characters. Melissa Benoist dominated her small part in Whiplash, and is more than capable of playing a girl od steel, but in that gender flipped Man of Steel outfit, it's gonna be a uphill battle. I think she desrved something that she could have made her own.

even if it's the reason why she wears what she does, it's still a costume in comparisons to the original, and isn't that what the issue most have with this costume.

The costume is based on the "modern classic" blue top with red skirt, however it's just poorly designed, poorly made and has the wrong choice of materials. The boots should have stopped below the knees, as per the classic look. The knee covers just look a bit silly.

The boots you're referring to are the thigh high boots Supergirl wore with a minidress following a change in costume:

49962_20060709122754_large.jpg

These worked together, as per the fashions of the day, although didn't last long before the next costume change.

I should mention "Buccaneer" boots are the boots Power Girl wears with her classic costume:

f2cc30b39258b0bc2a27daf49b30faa1.jpg

I have an issue with the new costume because it's dull and lifeless... although I will say it could have been worse! Supergirl is my favourite superheroine and I was very disappointed when I saw the costume. It should have been brighter, smoother and most importantly... more feminine! It's just not very flattering.

The designers should have gone with the classic blue dress:

49961_20060709122623_large.jpg

MB would look adorable... ;)

The only movie that comes to mind that I last saw her in was "Ruthless People" in '86. lol

Has twenty-nine years went by that quickly. :(

:gossip:

Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns will both celebrate their 30 anniversaries next year in 2016. :o

Think about that. If someone were a kid or teen in 1986,then something 30 years earlier in 1956 would have felt ancient.

A lot of us with me included kind of forget that with it comes to modern generations tastes.

I realize this because my own children reminded me of it. lol

All those 80s movies/pop culture stuff I loved seemed ancient to them.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Indeed Bio. I think if the new SG's hair was as blond as Helen Slater's, most of us would be pleased with the costume.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with you, however it does give rise to an interesting question... Hair or Costume!?!

Hair or Costume hm ...

Hair or Costume hm ...

Hair or Costume hm ...