• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need assist with contacting CAF member if possible

13 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone could help me out with getting in touch with CAF member Martin Arlt? He hasn't been active since earlier this year and I have tried contacting him through CAF a few times with no response. Not sure if this is ethical or not but I have a proposition I'd like to make on one of his pieces and just want to explore every avenue before I admit defeat. A finders fee will be included if a deal is reached. So PM me if you could help me establish contact.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

I would think a kind, non-desperate followup message via the appropriate channels (CAF message) would do the trick. Try asking him if he would let you know if he is not interested in whatever deal you are offering, and you will stop sending him messages about it.

If he responds "not interested" then there you go. If no response comes after a few days, then perhaps his spam filter caught it. Or he doesn't care if you continue to pursue him. Or he's just ignoring you. But I wou;ldn't jump straight to stalking him off CAF and fishing for other folks to give his information out unbidden.

I've had a couple guys that have been after me for the same pieces for years, despite my letting them know (politely) that they are not for sale. They never seem to give up. That gets old after a bit. I much prefer to let people know I will keep their info and contact them when I am ready to sell, rather than having the barrage of PMs.

Eric,

Thanks for the advice. I haven't ever done this before so I wasn't sure if I should try it or not and your advice is sound. Please don't get the impression that I am stalking him I just haven't heard anything back from the few attempts to contact him and I just though maybe this might work as you have said that there is a possibility my emails are showing up as spam is all.

Normally most people respond back with, as you said, a polite "No but thanks" and I leave it very much alone since I feel like I am pestering a person to the point that they will never do any business with me due to me irritating them. And hey if they say no I will get over it and move on. Just had a bit of extra money this Holiday season and I was curious if I could make it work to my advantage for the season is all.

Chris

This reminds me of when I was new to collecting and I saw some cool Travis Charest pieces for sale on CAF. I emailed the member with a bit of a lowball offer. He replied that he would rather keep them. I short time later someone mentioned that the collector was getting married and was in the NY Times. Only then did I realize whom I had lowballed - the executive producer of Curb Your Enthusiasm and noted Seinfeld writer David Mandel. He was really nice about it.

This reminds me of when I was new to collecting and I saw some cool Travis Charest pieces for sale on CAF. I emailed the member with a bit of a lowball offer. He replied that he would rather keep them. I short time later someone mentioned that the collector was getting married and was in the NY Times. Only then did I realize whom I had lowballed - the executive producer of Curb Your Enthusiasm and noted Seinfeld writer David Mandel. He was really nice about it.

:grin:lol. I've low ball David Mandel as well in the past. I wasnt aware who he was until now. He was nice about it too. Also did the same with Glenn Danzig.

I lost one of my all time favorite pieces to David. I bid way more than I could afford and much more than I think it probably would "normally" go for and I got whipped. When he posted it in his CAF, I understood why. :)

Sigh... At least, he has it where I can see it. :)

Curt%20Swan_Legion_Index_2_cover.jpg