• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm now a member of the SDB club. Are you?

25 posts in this topic

Safety Deposit Box

It was making me nervous to leave the house for short amounts of time as I do travel to comic shows a lot of weekends.

My small collection of comics that I call my collection was growing in value and the insurance policy was not keeping up. Sure I can up my policy but that is not cheap.

I have been reluctant in the past because now I have to visit my comics but really I feel a sense of relief knowing they are safely tucked away.

I kept thinking people who come over and know what I do would like to see old valuable comics but really this is a hobby that mostly only us comic geeks can appreciate. So I have no need for them to be here for the friends or family to enjoy because they don’t care.

I would like a home safe and I know I can take the proper precautions to not allow staple rust but they still will not protect them against a total house fire. I had a house fire back in 1997 and it did burn to ground and all was lost so yes it can happen. I did not have a safe at the time but from what I understand the paper would survive but what shape would it be in.

There has been a lot of discussion in the past about home safes and SDB's and I will list several of the links.

Storing comics in a Safety Deposit box...ok?

PROS and CONS of a safety deposit box with a bank?

safe deposit boxes

Are Safe Deposit Boxes Ok for Comics?

I put a Temp and RH sensor in my safety deposit box....

Safe Deposit Box...

I asked about this at my bank. I knew about the fire-safe issue (causing staples to severely rust), so I asked them if their SDB's had that issue and they didn't know. Does anyone else know if SDB's might have that problem?

SDB's at a bank the climate is typically air conditioned. If air conditioned environments cause rust on the staples then yes it would happen.

I asked about this at my bank. I knew about the fire-safe issue (causing staples to severely rust), so I asked them if their SDB's had that issue and they didn't know. Does anyone else know if SDB's might have that problem?

SDB's at a bank the climate is typically air conditioned. If air conditioned environments cause rust on the staples then yes it would happen.

My bank turns the A/C off at night. It's hot and humid in the summer - as most banks are A's they try to keep costs down. I have only a handful of books there now and thankfully no rust.

Having a safety deposit box is a smart thing to do. You can run into some stringent insurance requirements where a home safe is concerned. Safety deposit boxes are affordable and you don;t have to worry about much.

Good move on the SDB. (thumbs u

I can't get over the fact that you call your collection of comic books, your collection.

It has me baffled.

Well now I'm baffled.

Not sure how you took it but to try and clarify. I probably have less than 100 comics in what I call comics I collect (my collection) and I'm not trying to sell. Of these, 10 are worth more than the rest by a great amount. These few comics I now keep in a safe deposit box.

This allows me to drop my CIS policy by about $80K saving me about $1500 a year on a dealer policy.

I can't get over the fact that you call your collection of comic books, your collection.

It has me baffled.

Well now I'm baffled.

Not sure how you took it but to try and clarify. I probably have less than 100 comics in what I call comics I collect (my collection) and I'm not trying to sell. Of these, 10 are worth more than the rest by a great amount. These few comics I now keep in a safe deposit box.

This allows me to drop my CIS policy by about $80K saving me about $1500 a year on a dealer policy.

I can't imagine not being able to not have my books near me at my home,would rather pay the additional cost of insurance.I use collectinsure and they are great to deal with.

I have multiple SDB's, each one at a different Bank. I also have a Home Safe. As Leroy stated, having your best books in different locations keeps the insurance down. With your books at 3 different locations, a blanket coverage of say, 80K, will effectively insure you for 240K. Rotate the books, visit them occasionally, and it's all good.

Regarding the Home Gun Safe controversy. I saw pics of the original 'problem' book as submitted to Borock. I remember it as a CGC 9.8 ? Hulk 181. The staple was literally disintegrated. I still shudder when I think about it. However, I just can't believe this is commonplace. If this were commonplace we would have heard about more incidents. Still, I open my safe frequently to 'air it out', sometimes using a fan. I watch the humidity carefully, not just in the safe but in my whole basement. I have a dehumidifier running constantly in the summer. I feel better about the climate at home than I do in the Bank SDB. Card collectors have it so easy !