• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is X-Men #1 graded CGC 9.2 underrated (Value)?

286 posts in this topic

This may be surprising, but when it comes to comic books I fully agree. I had a chance to buy several high dollar books in high grade and just couldn't do it. The one I regret most however was passing on a Hulk #1 in CGC 9.2 for $70,000. This was many years ago. Ironically I have no problems buying five figure plus antiques. Don't know what kind of mental block is employed that stops me from paying that much for a 'funny book' though.

Thanks guys this really helps......glad I found this place!!! Do you know how hard it is to actually locate such a book? Does one come up for sale say every few years or once a year on average in the 9.2 grade?

This is the only book I would want in a 9.2 I could never afford a AF15 in a 9.2 (plus I am not a Spider-Man fan yeah I know it's a ''sin'' he is the most loved silver age character of all time.......I feel the same about Superman......never feel in sink with him either BUT I do LOVE Batman more than any other character ever). I want to build a X-Men collection from # 1 to the last issue not going to go after high graded copies except for the #1......the rest I just want to be able to read and enjoy.

yes someone else who likes Batman and welcome to the boards :)

This may be surprising, but when it comes to comic books I fully agree. I had a chance to buy several high dollar books in high grade and just couldn't do it. The one I regret most however was passing on a Hulk #1 in CGC 9.2 for $70,000. This was many years ago. Ironically I have no problems buying five figure plus antiques. Don't know what kind of mental block is employed that stops me from paying that much for a 'funny book' though.

I think it's just that they aren't antiques and you can't see yourself spending that much because you're somehow associating value with age and size imo :)

I think it's just that they aren't antiques and you can't see yourself spending that much because you're somehow associating value with age and size imo :)

Keep in mind that the simple definition of an antique is an item defined as being one hundred years old or more. Sooner rather than later Action Comics #1 will be a TRUE antique! Antiques can also be just as speculative as some collectibles. Got to feel sorry fro those people who bought Victorian furniture in the early 1990's! Mid Century Modern is the new standard.

Size has nothing to do with it. In fact don't always assume that antiques are large in size; as most are not. Here are the types of antiques I typically collect (the smaller the better, IMHO):

advertising - Coca Cola advertising is now well over one hundred years old for some of the better pieces and prices reflect that

marbles -handmade marbles are a favorite, but I also like rare machine made marbles as well

bottles -bitters to poisons I love them all. I own a very rare Drake's Bitter Bottle in a very rare color.

historical artifacts - no introduction is need

antiquities - Indian artifacts to arrowheads to prehistoric fossils

art glass/pottery/art - Tiffany glass is my specialty!

We have had this discussion before on these forums, but I view a lot of comic books as very speculative right now (my sole opinion and I am entitled to it). While this may NOT extend directly to books like Hulk #1 and other higher end keys, when books like New Mutants 98 and Ms. Marvel #1 are easily over the four figure mark in 9.8 it is time to be concerned; in my opinion. That being said, the market is still quite healthy for the mega keys and more books do have room to grow. Comic books are an established hobby.

Do I regret not buying the Hulk #1 in CGC 9.2 for $70,000? YES. However, in my defense this was back in 2005-2007. I was just getting into CGC graded comic books and wanted to take it slow. As a result I can't blame myself.

Perception is quite funny. On this forum I am viewed as someone who has a disdain for items of a collectible nature (which isn't true at all as half my collections are devoted to collectibles). Ironically, in the antiques world I am viewed as someone who has too much of an attachment to collectibles and not enough commitment to antiques. I really can't win at all.

White paged books will always command a higher premium over lesser PQ books. Just how much more is not an exact science though. Usually 10-20%

A "white pages" AF 15 6.0 just got a beat down on comic link compared to the "ow/w" 6.0 on comic connect. I have never seen "PQ" command any kind of "premium" on any consistent basis. And if one did appear to exist it would be closer to the 3-5% range. I have however seen marvel chipping get books punished in price, regardless of the "PQ" on the label.

-J.

I do not understand ''funny book'' sorry guys can someone explain that terminology?

It's and old timey term for comic books. Likely derived from the fact that comic books originally started as reprints of newspaper comic strips. Posters who use the term are being tongue-in-cheek.

-J.

I have never seen "PQ" command any kind of "premium" on any consistent basis. And if one did appear to exist it would be closer to the 3-5% range.

-J.

So the difference between a C/OW, OW or OW/W to W is 5%. Gotcha. (thumbs u

Let me quickly come up with a sample to corroborate your statement ...

keeping with the X-men ...

OWW sold for $3933 Date Listed: 7/30/2014

W (and less well centered IMO in comparison) sold for $5,101 Date Listed: 8/23/2014

I could fill the next few pages with examples but I have more to do. Took me 3 min to find this recent example.

Problem is, for every example you can find I can find a counter example....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-Giant-Size-1-CGC-9-2-White-Pages-First-New-X-Men-/321510162873?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4adb7fc1b9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Giant-Size-Xmen-1-Cgc-9-2-1st-App-New-X-Men-Storm-Nightcrawler-2Nd-App-Wolverine-/171559309704?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item27f1bb5188

...which makes the results random to the point of meaninglessness.

There is simply no consistent or actual "premium" observed for books with "white pages" on the label. Not only that, but "PQ" can degrade in the slab, it is just a snap shot in time, and not even quantifiable on a consistent basis. That's why it has been known to flip flop around on books that have been re-subbed.

-J.

I have never seen "PQ" command any kind of "premium" on any consistent basis. And if one did appear to exist it would be closer to the 3-5% range.

-J.

So the difference between a C/OW, OW or OW/W to W is 5%. Gotcha. (thumbs u

Let me quickly come up with a sample to corroborate your statement ...

I've seen high end key books go for 10-20% more with white pages. I've painfully paid premiums for better PQ even when people say it doesn't matter. To me, it does matter. The closer to off the rack you can get, the better.