• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The comic you almost purchased but did not and now have regrets?

63 posts in this topic

Saw a CGC ST #110 6.0 on the boards here a few years back for either $500-600.... hummed and hawed. Passed on it.

ugh.

Hi Ernie,

Our wheelhouse seems too close at times.

If it was Roy's (Vintage) copy of the ST 110 I picked that up.

That being said, you did scoop a JIM 85 CGC 6.0 W by about 3 minutes. I'm still interested in that book by the way...

Cheers,

Cole

Back in the mid-80s. There was a little store in downtown San Diego called House of Comics that had boxes of 70s comics--multiples of various issues at 50¢ a pop. They were in perfect condition and you just had to sift through multiple copies of an issue to find the most perfect. At the time, I remember looking for Frank Miller covers and interior art issues. I think I got the John Carter Warlord of Mars 18 and a few other later issues of Byrne X-men for that price.

The one that sticks out is the nearly full long box of NM copies of Nova #1. I passed on that because it was an utterly worthless issue. . .and it stayed that way for the next 30 years or so. . .until recently.

Now it's a vastly over-hyped worthless issue. Wish I'd bought the whole box.

doh!

Back in the mid-80s. There was a little store in downtown San Diego called House of Comics that had boxes of 70s comics--multiples of various issues at 50¢ a pop. They were in perfect condition and you just had to sift through multiple copies of an issue to find the most perfect. At the time, I remember looking for Frank Miller covers and interior art issues. I think I got the John Carter Warlord of Mars 18 and a few other later issues of Byrne X-men for that price.

The one that sticks out is the nearly full long box of NM copies of Nova #1. I passed on that because it was an utterly worthless issue. . .and it stayed that way for the next 30 years or so. . .until recently.

Now it's a vastly over-hyped worthless issue. Wish I'd bought the whole box.

doh!

:D Great story!

I was buying quite a lot of #1's off the stand in the '70s, including Nova #1, but I only bought one of each.

And we get to my second biggest mistake...though not as large as my Hulk 1 snafu.

Strange Tales 110. It is no secret that I love Dr. Strange. The story and the origin of the character are just so cool. Johnny Depp would be the perfect actor to cast for this role.

Well about four years ago when we t back into my 'I should buy a mega key in high grade phase' I found a dealer who wanted to sell me a Strange Tales 110. Problem is it was in 9.0 and I only collect 9.2 or higher. Needless to say I really don't regret not buying it, but also kind of wish I did.

Now you can barely find that book in 9.0 or higher and when you do the price is starting to creep up on a consistent basis.

Enough said.

About 2 years ago I had the opportunity to purchase a 1.0 All-Star Comics #8 for about $1,200. I had been going back and forth with the seller for about 3 weeks until he lowered the price for me. When I was finally ready to pull the trigger, he had just sold it. I still think about that book today.

About six or seven years ago I had a chance to buy It's Game Time 2 from a seller on the boards. It was in decent shape but I was low on cash at the time and I had to pass it up. I've never seen another decent copy anywhere. I have issue # 1 of the title and though I'm currently selling the bulk of my collection, I will hang onto my slabbed copy of It's Game Time 1 (CGC 7.0 with OW/W PQ), the 2nd-highest of only eight copies in the census.

A friend of my brother's had amassed a Spider-Man run of Amazing Fantasy #15 and Spider-Man #1-100. This was about 1994 and he wanted $5,000 for the whole lot and would not piece it out. I looked at the whole collection and I bet no copy was any worse than 6.0 with most of the later ones being no worse than 9.0 with some of them looking to be pristine unread. I just could not come up with that much cash at that time, but that probably would have been the best investment I could have ever made as far as comic books are concerned. I'm still kicking myself for letting that opportunity go. Won't ever get a chance like that again.