• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

it was a 0.5 not a 1.5.

Good luck with the rest of it though.

.5 is a different story hm sorry if I can't read

I made the same mistake.

But heck...coverless raws are going for $115 .

Actually, unless this is a different book, I think his JLA1 was a NG not a 0.5.

Yes it is because I have three copies of jla #1

CGC NG

CGC .5

CGC 1.8

Did you grade all of them?

yup all graded by cgc

Why?? You spent $40 - $50 a piece to grade out books that would probably sell at the same price ungraded as graded? I watched your u-tube vide and it sounded like you expected to get a NG on one of the books :o Unless its a Golden Age key book I'd not pay the price to slab a book expecting to get a NG or 0.5.

Edited by 1Cool

And I don't know if this is true or not but I got a pm that you supposedly traded a cgc 9.0 asm129 (1000+) for a raw ba12 (500?). ??

Yes that's true as well a big mistake on my part.

It was a ba12 and $300 cash if I remember correctly. Don't sell yourself short(er).

Pre show announcement that wouldn't have been a terrible trade if there was $300 instant cash on top of the book. The ASM 129 CGC 9.0 were going for $750 ish back then and a NMish copy of BA 12 would be a quick sale for $500 - $600. Problem is you are trading certainty with a graded book for a raw book. What if the book comes back trimmed or has a stain that drops it to a 8.0?

it was a 0.5 not a 1.5.

I made the same mistake.

CGC NG

CGC .5

CGC 1.8

yup all graded by cgc

He is asking did you have CGC grade them or did you buy them already graded?

And I don't know if this is true or not but I got a pm that you supposedly traded a cgc 9.0 asm129 (1000+) for a raw ba12 (500?). ??

It was a ba12 and $300 cash if I remember correctly. Don't sell yourself short(er).

Yup that's correct a ba12 and 300 cash

it was a 0.5 not a 1.5.

I made the same mistake.

CGC NG

CGC .5

CGC 1.8

yup all graded by cgc

He is asking did you have CGC grade them or did you buy them already graded?

Oh yeah I got them graded by cgc and they were all raw.

it was a 0.5 not a 1.5.

I made the same mistake.

CGC NG

CGC .5

CGC 1.8

yup all graded by cgc

Why?? You spent $40 - $50 a piece to grade out books that would probably sell at the same price ungraded as graded? I watched your u-tube vide and it sounded like you expected to get a NG on one of the books :o Unless its a Golden Age key book I'd not pay the price to slab a book expecting to get a NG or 0.5.

It was earlier on and I also thought the jla 1.8 would grade higher but I was wrong about and the alone would have covered the cost of the other slabs. I do have a action comics 15 which I don't want to be graded because of slabbing vs how much I spent like you mentioned.

it was a 0.5 not a 1.5.

I made the same mistake.

CGC NG

CGC .5

CGC 1.8

yup all graded by cgc

It was earlier on and I also thought the jla 1.8 would grade higher but I was wrong about and the alone would have covered the cost of the other slabs. I do have a action comics 15 which I don't want to be graded because of slabbing vs how much I spent like you mentioned.

Post the Action 15.

That's a book you should be trying to sell if you want to get some cash.

Pre show announcement that wouldn't have been a terrible trade if there was $300 instant cash on top of the book. The ASM 129 CGC 9.0 were going for $750 ish back then and a NMish copy of BA 12 would be a quick sale for $500 - $600. Problem is you are trading certainty with a graded book for a raw book. What if the book comes back trimmed or has a stain that drops it to a 8.0?

If it should come back as a 8.0 or something that he didn't mention then I'll ask for the asm 129 9.0 back because I asked him if there's anything wrong with it and he said "no other then what I mentioned there's nothing wrong with it" and I'm holding him to it since I held up my end of the deal.

it was a 0.5 not a 1.5.

I made the same mistake.

CGC NG

CGC .5

CGC 1.8

yup all graded by cgc

Post the Action 15.

That's a book you should be trying to sell if you want to get some cash.

It's a coverless comic missing three wraps and I've listed it about 10 times I've had bites and interest but people want it complete so far.

If it should come back as a 8.0 or something that he didn't mention then I'll ask for the asm 129 9.0 back because I asked him if there's anything wrong with it and he said "no other then what I mentioned there's nothing wrong with it" and I'm holding him to it since I held up my end of the deal.

Did you all agree to that prior to the trade? What if this happens and the guy says either "I sold the Spidey" or "Sorry, the deal was done awhile back"?

But you are still at risk especially in a trade. He probably has sold the ASM 129 by now if it's a dealer and you can't even do a Paypal refund since it's a trade. I'd see trading your ASM 129 CGC 9.0 for a long box of hot copper books if you were trying to make some money selling them one at a time but trading a hot key slab for a raw book doesn't leave you enough meat on the bone if everything goes smoothly in order to justify the risks.

Edited by 1Cool

Did you all agree to that prior to the trade? What if this happens and the guy says either "I sold the Spidey" or "Sorry, the deal was done awhile back"?

Yes I agreed to it before I did the trade so that he knows what's up should he do something I'll file a claim with paypal then and notify comic book group admins what he did.

But you are still at risk especially in a trade. He probably has sold the ASM 129 by now if it's a dealer and you can't even do a Paypal refund since it's a trade. I'd see trading your ASM 129 CGC 9.0 for a long box of hot copper books if you were trying to make some money selling them one at a time but trading a hot key slab for a raw book doesn't leave you enough meat on the bone if everything goes smoothly in order to justify the risks.

Now I'm having doubts again he told me it's in his collection to keep which I doubt because it was before the movie announcement but I can freeze his paypal by making a claim on the money he sent me if I would explain my situation.

Yes I agreed to it before I did the trade so that he knows what's up should he do something I'll file a claim with paypal then and notify comic book group admins what he did.

There is no transaction for Paypal to freeze. Your only recourse is to out the seller and hope they live up to the agreement. But just like your question about the Russia guy - always do a benefit to cost assessment to avoid risk. You are looking to make money in comics and there is a lot "safer" money to made out there.

Now I'm having doubts again he told me it's in his collection to keep which I doubt because it was before the movie announcement but I can freeze his paypal by making a claim on the money he sent me if I would explain my situation.

You want them to freeze the money he sent you??

Why worry now - the book has not come back yet. But these are all things you need to think about before making the deal. Hindsight will kick you in the butt if you don't think it thru first.

Edited by 1Cool

then that's better, but still not "good"....

There is no transaction for Paypal to freeze. Your only recourse is to out the seller and hope they live up to the agreement. But just like your question about the Russia guy - always do a benefit to cost assessment to avoid risk. You are looking to make money in comics and there is a lot "safer" money to made out there.

Yes you have a point I'm PMing him right now and let's see what he'll say about if he sold the comic or not.

Yes you have a point I'm PMing him right now and let's see what he'll say about if he sold the comic or not.

I added this above:

Why worry now - the book has not come back yet. But these are all things you need to think about before making the deal. Hindsight will kick you in the butt if you don't think it thru first.

You want them to freeze the money he sent you??

Yeah it was bad move on my part but believing that I had no choice I didn't exactly think it over either.

then that's better, but still not "good"....

I know but I tried to justify the trade a little more by adding the cash to the trade.

8 8