• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

Agree with many posters. A lot of bosrdies here with much lower aspirations and much lower investment have made A LOT more money selling comics over the past two years, both in ROI and absolute dollars. Of course there are many contributing factors, but those factors matter, as they are the difference. The number of buyer dollars out there may seem infinite, but they are not, you are competing with all of those people to buy low and sell high, and competing with multiple disadvantages.

you don't have to cash out completely if you don't need to and think your values will rise, but all of your efforts should be put into finding a steady sustainable income stream. Whether it's sending out 50 resumes a day, taking classes, disability therapy, trade school, working out, apprenticeship, volunteer work, anything and everything.

Ask yourself "why would someone hire me or buy from me? What makes me qualified?" Make your answer a good one

Working for others, although more dependable, is not the best way to make money.

Best way to make money is being a backup quarterback on a west coast football team. Barring that, if your starting from scratch you need steady money. Comic related? Great! But that not easily done to sustain ones self and start a business. Although I guess in fairness, nothing is really easily done.

But seriously, I could quit my job, hire a coach and practice for 10 hrs a day for two years and still not be anywhere close to being an nba point guard, no matter how much I want it. Not everyone can be everything. I'd don't think the op has shown he's ready for any of the 'best ways' is making money, comic or otherwise. Start with 'not losing money while working hard to make it'

I think this has been mentioned before but I'll repeat. And I'm saying this from a positive place. I'd stop what I'm doing, take a long look in the mirror and honestly ask "can I be good at this?" or "am I doing everything to be successful?".

I've been in sales for a long time. Not comic sales. Point is when I started it was rough, or at least I thought it was rough. When I asked myself a few honest questions my perception changed, my work ethic changed and the trajectory I was on changed.

Having read 37 pages of this journal I'm not sure this is a good path for you. At least not right now.

P.S.

I'm actually planning to sell my books to decrease my collection but I have no plans on selling anything worth more than $20. This way if someone takes advantage of me I'll be able to smile and say "Go with God and enjoy!".

Either way, good luck.

Pete

What questions should I ask myself? If this is for me?

Agree with many posters. A lot of bosrdies here with much lower aspirations and much lower investment have made A LOT more money selling comics over the past two years, both in ROI and absolute dollars. Of course there are many contributing factors, but those factors matter, as they are the difference. The number of buyer dollars out there may seem infinite, but they are not, you are competing with all of those people to buy low and sell high, and competing with multiple disadvantages.

you don't have to cash out completely if you don't need to and think your values will rise, but all of your efforts should be put into finding a steady sustainable income stream. Whether it's sending out 50 resumes a day, taking classes, disability therapy, trade school, working out, apprenticeship, volunteer work, anything and everything.

Ask yourself "why would someone hire me or buy from me? What makes me qualified?" Make your answer a good one

Hmmm right now what I want to do comic wise is sell what I have right now. Job wise I'm looking for a entry level job and I'm still not getting hired.

Gabe, what area of comics are you focusing your business on?

Tough question since I focus on what I believe I can flip but my biggest focus with the my sales has been the silver age comics.

Ok let me clarify...

what area of the hobby do you know enough about to use to make a profit?

The internet made information quickly and readily available, EVERYONE can see what books are selling for, sales histories, census numbers and so on to determine if a book is a good "buy low, sell high" candidate.

One trick is to be faster than everyone else. But that means you have to know your numbers, like do you have a good sense of the market value for all of the silver age keys to know when there's meat on the bone and when there's not? eBay BINs that are good deals get snatched up fast, just like they do here. If you know your stuff you can take advantage of that, but you have to be the fastest.

And yes, I think a healthy percentage of people here on the boards focus (in part) on what they think they can flip, so you have a LOT of competition, so here's another thought. Where is there space in the market? What area has room for profit without a lot of people existing in that space? Maybe its pulps? Maybe it's an emerging market? Silver Age books already have a TON of eyes on them and they are far more experienced than you both at knowing the books, the current market, and maybe even at predicting possible market movement, maybe look for a different area to profit from? (Yes if SA books come in the door you take them, if SA owner wants consignment you take it, but I'm talking about your proactive purchases for the purpose of flipping).

The only way I see you making money via the "buy books for 50% of FMV" method is if you get enough coin together to buy full collections and use the bulk purchase to negotiate enough of a discount on FMV to make it profitable. But then that gets into a different area of hustle which is you have to network, hunt and bird dog your region to FIND those collections (so you can make the offer).

just some unsolicited advice...

What I want to do is sell the comics I have and find stuff that's local to me like you said because good deals do pop up and I'm always out of cash. The best area for me has been silver age comics and next time I won't overpay for comics. Consignment wise I'm going to give it a try since I have three consignments going.

I was reading the market reports from the past Overstreet. This isn't something you can seriously jump in and be successful at in a short period of time. Even with a giant stack you need to be well educated like the above poster mentioned. Too many folks eat, sleep and breathe this and have been doing so for decades.

I've become risk adverse in my old age. Some of the stuff I've read in this journal compounded with the personal hurdles makes my cringe.

Yes I make lots of mistakes but I'm learning from them and maybe if I think of this as a game it'll do better something along the lines of risk.

Here's my short list, assuming you already have the experience in the hobby (which you seemingly do not) :

1. Customer Service.

2. Networking/Relationships.

3. Hard CONSISTENT Work.

My main mantra is customer service, but right behind that is the realization that I have to do something a little extra every day that furthers my business. Having an off day and don't want to deal with it after the regular work is done? Tough. Do *something* extra that furthers the business. List 10 BiN auctions. Bag and board 500 comics. Cut cardboard for shipping. Organize some toys for a night's auctions. Run a sale in the eBay store. SOMETHING.

After a while it'll become common practice and the benefits are huge in the long run.

I think I can say I do customer service pretty well I haven't had any complaints but when they happen I do my best to fix them and make them happy. What your saying goes for anything business related even if comics don't work out for me these can be transferable skills.

Working for others, although more dependable, is not the best way to make money.

I agree I want to be my own boss one day but I know I have a lot to learn before that happens.

Best way to make money is being a backup quarterback on a west coast football team. Barring that, if your starting from scratch you need steady money. Comic related? Great! But that not easily done to sustain ones self and start a business. Although I guess in fairness, nothing is really easily done.

But seriously, I could quit my job, hire a coach and practice for 10 hrs a day for two years and still not be anywhere close to being an nba point guard, no matter how much I want it. Not everyone can be everything. I'd don't think the op has shown he's ready for any of the 'best ways' is making money, comic or otherwise. Start with 'not losing money while working hard to make it'

I've made a profit with the comics I have sold so far so it's a start and a lot of mistakes have kept me from making more but I have to start somewhere.

I was reading the market reports from the past Overstreet. This isn't something you can seriously jump in and be successful at in a short period of time. Even with a giant stack you need to be well educated like the above poster mentioned. Too many folks eat, sleep and breathe this and have been doing so for decades.

I've become risk adverse in my old age. Some of the stuff I've read in this journal compounded with the personal hurdles makes my cringe.

Yes I make lots of mistakes but I'm learning from them and maybe if I think of this as a game it'll do better something along the lines of risk.

To get ahead you should treat it like a job, not a game. It takes hard work and experience to succeed. Put ads on kijiji, go look at collections, buy collections, grade and price the books, bag and board, list them on ebay or here or wherever.

My partner and I have bought dozens of collections this year. Some small and some big. Most aren't exactly key laden but we're willing to buy anything if there's a profit to be made.

Same goes for finding a job. Go and ask employers why they didn't hire you. Take their feedback objectively - don't get mad and don't embrace denial - and use their feedback to turn things around.

Don't just sit there,, do something. Make up a big sign that screams "I WANT A JOB' and walk down the busiest street in town. Employers want employees with skills and experience but they're always looking for motivated people who want a job and want to work hard.

Edited by thehumantorch

To get ahead you should treat it like a job, not a game. It takes hard work and experience to succeed. Put ads on kijiji, go look at collections, buy collections, grade and price the books, bag and board, list them on ebay or here or wherever.

My partner and I have bought dozens of collections this year. Some small and some big. Most aren't exactly key laden but we're willing to buy anything if there's a profit to be made.

Same goes for finding a job. Go and ask employers why they didn't hire you. Take their feedback objectively - don't get mad and don't embrace denial - and use their feedback to turn things around.

Don't just sit there,, do something. Make up a big sign that screams "I WANT A JOB' and walk down the busiest street in town. Employers want employees with skills and experience but they're always looking for motivated people who want a job and want to work hard.

I'll think of it as a job and I do put ads on kijiji but so far it's been people who have came to me with drek. I'd love to have a partner but I'm not sure how to go about looking for one other than asking here on the boards. I thought it's not allowed to ask employers why they didn't hire you? Also I want to pm you about something.

...we're willing to buy anything if there's a profit to be made.

This is another great tip. I know about a lot of different hobbies as I've collected a lot over the last 30 years, but when something pops up on CL that I don't know much about I'll research it to see if I can profit. Case in point, I bought a butch of baseball statues that I checked out before purchasing and made a great profit on. If you work at it hard enough you can do it.

...we're willing to buy anything if there's a profit to be made.

This is another great tip. I know about a lot of different hobbies as I've collected a lot over the last 30 years, but when something pops up on CL that I don't know much about I'll research it to see if I can profit. Case in point, I bought a butch of baseball statues that I checked out before purchasing and made a great profit on. If you work at it hard enough you can do it.

So far what I've done are yugioh cards, video games, coins and comic books.

Hmmm right now what I want to do comic wise is sell what I have right now. Job wise I'm looking for a entry level job and I'm still not getting hired.

I'm not sure what kind of jobs you're applying to but moving around as much as you have are red flags on your resume. It costs money to train employees, and employers want team members who are dependable and reliable, not ones who bounce around from place to place.

How many jobs are you listing on your application and what is the length of employment you are listing for each job? If you're listing multiple jobs per year with only a few weeks to a few months at each job then you would be an applicant I would pass on. Having a ton of jobs listed on your resume, or application, doesn't make you look better but more of a liability since you'll most likely be a temp employee.

Have you gone to a Government of Canada/Alberta or other local employment office/service?

Being a younger person with an identified learning exceptionality, you might have services available to you. They might be able to help you develop your resume and find you placement/work if you are having trouble on your own.

I'm not sure what kind of jobs you're applying to but moving around as much as you have are red flags on your resume. It costs money to train employees, and employers want team members who are dependable and reliable, not ones who bounce around from place to place.

How many jobs are you listing on your application and what is the length of employment you are listing for each job? If you're listing multiple jobs per year with only a few weeks to a few months at each job then you would be an applicant I would pass on. Having a ton of jobs listed on your resume, or application, doesn't make you look better but more of a liability since you'll most likely be a temp employee.

I only apply for customer service or a dishwasher position and I've had three jobs which the most I worked at was a year and yes I do move around a lot.

Have you gone to a Government of Canada/Alberta or other local employment office/service?

Being a younger person with an identified learning exceptionality, you might have services available to you. They might be able to help you develop your resume and find you placement/work if you are having trouble on your own.

hmmm when I was in Alberta all they wanted me to do is construction and I'm not built for that but I was able to improve my resume with them.

hmmm when I was in Alberta all they wanted me to do is construction and I'm not built for that but I was able to improve my resume with them.

Are there Temp Agencies in Canada that you could go apply/join?

Other companies "rent" employees from Temp Agencies. You may work at multiple different companies over the course of a year. And one of those could lead to full time employment. It may also offer the chance for you to see what type of work you really like and/or excel at.

Here's my short list, assuming you already have the experience in the hobby (which you seemingly do not) :

1. Customer Service.

2. Networking/Relationships.

3. Hard CONSISTENT Work.

My main mantra is customer service, but right behind that is the realization that I have to do something a little extra every day that furthers my business. Having an off day and don't want to deal with it after the regular work is done? Tough. Do *something* extra that furthers the business. List 10 BiN auctions. Bag and board 500 comics. Cut cardboard for shipping. Organize some toys for a night's auctions. Run a sale in the eBay store. SOMETHING.

After a while it'll become common practice and the benefits are huge in the long run.

#1 for me is to set your goals. How do you know what you're doing if you don't know where you're going? "Make as much as I can" is never the right answer.

Listen to these 2 folks Gabe - one is the king of hoarding future monster books and establishing relationships with writers, the other works his behind off and is out morning,noon and night searching for deals and collections.

They aren't lucky, they just work hard and smart.

It's seeing Chips results (100k) last year if memory serves, that inspires me to hit up sales, run ads, and network constantly.

It works!

See the "garage sales" thread for examples of my very modest scores.

But each one, despite being modest, turned a respectable profit that enables me to purchase book I want to keep.

So listen to them Gabe, for your own sake.

8 8