• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

I hope that ASM129 comes back 9.0 then what will everyone say

That would be a good thing, but what if it comes back a 7.5? You know as well as anyone else who flips that you need to have that margin for error built into your business model.

As fun as it would be Hector let's be real with Gabe.

Back to basics Gabe with dollar books . Have you ever done a comic sale at your house (yard sale)? Have you ever listed them on Kijiji what sets and issues you have? Have you thought about a Facebook page where you can post the lots etc? Have you thought about setting up at a toy/comic show where a table only costs $50? You really need to stop looking for the grand slam and making 300$ and work at landing a single.

I was just being a dink for dinks sake

Gabe the best advice I can give you from a flippers perspective is to stick to books under $100.

$20 is a sweet spot for me. Most of the time you can double your money if you know what to buy and are willing to work hard for it, and at worse you might be out $20.

I agree with Logan in that large figure books carry a bigger risk and sometimes the reward isn't that great. The only benefit is that you can move them quicker. I've lost big on the last few silver/bronze keys I've purchased and had graded. It happens. However my profit margins are enough that I can afford the occasional loss here and there.

Stick to copper and modern keys (not 2015/2016 moderns) under $100 and you'll do much better.

Is there an echo in here? I just said that to him :makepoint:

That would be a good thing, but what if it comes back a 7.5? You know as well as anyone else who flips that you need to have that margin for error built into your business model.

As fun as it would be Hector let's be real with Gabe.

Back to basics Gabe with dollar books . Have you ever done a comic sale at your house (yard sale)? Have you ever listed them on Kijiji what sets and issues you have? Have you thought about a Facebook page where you can post the lots etc? Have you thought about setting up at a toy/comic show where a table only costs $50? You really need to stop looking for the grand slam and making 300$ and work at landing a single.

I've listed a few lower end comics that sold on there but I haven't tried dollar books yet. I don't have a fb page but I do list my comics in the groups I'm in either that or ebay. There is a flea market that is in St Catherines which is 15km away from me. It costs 20 dollars per week and there's no commitment to show up which is great but my problem is transportation as the hours of the flea market would go past how long the buses stay out for and I already considered walking but there's no path to do so.

What is the margin of error percentage?

Things don't always turn out the way you want so always factor in the negatives when making a deal. Buying one slab in the hopes of doing a press and flip when you have high shipping cost and expenses is a receipt for disaster. Now if you had 10 raw $100 books that could press up to be $300 if you get lucky then the margin of error would be in your favor since you only need a few to hit the 9.8 to make some good money. All of your eggs in one big basket gives you no option but to be right all the time which none of us are.

Whoomp there it is.

All the comic buying/selling/trading shenanigans aside, here's one part I can't get past.

The OP keeps saying that he wants to get a job that offers more hours, yet he has a job.

When I managed a restaurant, I never gave hours to anyone...employees earned their hours.

My superstars...the ones that went above and beyond by either covering a last minute call-off, cleaning in between other jobs, or just having great attitudes were the ones I took care of. I always made sure they had the hours they were looking for. I couldn't do my job well without them.

Even the people a step down from my superstars...the people that were always on time for their shift, who followed directions well, and had good attitudes were sure to get 30-40 hours a week depending on their needs. I'd work with them because they made my life easier.

But the bums...the ones that showed up late for shifts, never covered a shift outside of their schedule, people with bad attitudes who obviously took no pride in what they did, these people would generally get 15 hours or less. Even the people who were good at a specific job but had poor attitudes, they are bums to me. I'd take an unskilled hard-worker over a skilled diva with a poor attitude any day.

What I'm saying to the OP is that if you're not getting enough hours at work, it's nobody's fault but yours.

Do a self-assessment:

• Are you there early every day? No exceptions? Remember, if you're "on-time", you're late. Be 5 minutes early for every shift.
  • Is your uniform clean, nails clean and trimmed, hair washed, combed and out of the way? I don't care if you work in the back, you need to look presentable at work at all times.
  • Check your attitude. When you're assigned a job, do you grumble and meander over to it, or is your response a peppy "sure thing!" with physical enthusiasm to match?
  • What are you doing during slow times? If you're a dishwasher, what do you do between trays of dishes to be done? Is your station spotless? If not, clean it. If the area is perfect, grab something like a pot or a board and give it a deep cleaning. Make it like new again. Things like this is restaurants get dingy after time. A little elbow grease goes a long way.
  • Are you smiling? I don't care if you hate the job. SMILE! It goes a LOOOOOONG way.

First off I don't smiled if I don't like something I don't fake my feelings. I was always there about 30 minutes early, my hygiene was so-so when I came to facial hair, I was eager to help others and I had a good attitude until you pissed me off. Everything was so busy there's not really anytime for anything else.

Smiling isn't a feeling. It's a physical expression. You can not like something and still smile. It's a skill, and a useful one if you want to move up in any job/career. I can't think of a single job out there where you're not going to have to put up with something/someone you don't especially like. It doesn't mean you have to grimace your way through it. If nothing else, consider it a form of training for voice acting. Your character's emotion won't always match up with your personal emotion. Despite what you're feeling inside, you need to be able to convey a positive outward appearance.

And having a good attitude "until you pissed me off"? Give me a break. A while back in this thread, before you found your current job, people were telling you that in an entry-level position you don't have the luxury of being "pissed off" if you want to succeed. You take your lumps and use your dissatisfaction with the job as motivation to improve to eventually EARN your way to a better position. Remember that bosses don't give more hours/promotions/raises...employees EARN them. When you stop trying to blame your boss and realize that you hold all the cards when it comes to improving yourself, you will vastly improve your station.

As far as it being so busy that you don't have time for anything else, make time! Go above and beyond. Tell yourself "I'm going to wash these dishes so fast that I'll have 10 minutes at the end of the night to deep scrub that pot until I can see myself in it". Wow your boss.

And if your hygiene was only "so-so" in any area and you work in a restaurant, that needs to be addressed IMMEDIATELY. In my experience, customers will give you a second chance if the service is bad or the food isn't perfect, but they will never come back if they think the restaurant or the people who worked it were dirty.

Re-read what I bulleted in my previous post. These aren't things where you can do them part-way. You're either doing them or you're not. Comics won't break the cycle of poverty you claim to be in, but your job might. It will take a lot of effort on your part, though.

Voice acting is something that I haven't fully done yet. Well my hygiene was really my fingers nail and facial hair and yeah that needs to improve. I had a couple times where I finished before I was supposed to and that felt good and I did that a few times and I tried to ask my boss for different hours and she cut them that was a nice thanks I got.

Dude you are as bad at voice acting as you are at selling comics.

https://www.voices.com/talents/search?search_submit=Search&keyword=gabriel+kawa

Get with reality and grow up. I don't want to have to support you when this all comes crashing down...

Edited by Wall-Crawler

Things don't always turn out the way you want so always factor in the negatives when making a deal. Buying one slab in the hopes of doing a press and flip when you have high shipping cost and expenses is a receipt for disaster. Now if you had 10 raw $100 books that could press up to be $300 if you get lucky then the margin of error would be in your favor since you only need a few to hit the 9.8 to make some good money. All of your eggs in one big basket gives you no option but to be right all the time which none of us are.

I like the sound of that and I agree putting all your eggs in one basket is risky since I made two mistakes with the asm 129

All the comic buying/selling/trading shenanigans aside, here's one part I can't get past.

The OP keeps saying that he wants to get a job that offers more hours, yet he has a job.

When I managed a restaurant, I never gave hours to anyone...employees earned their hours.

My superstars...the ones that went above and beyond by either covering a last minute call-off, cleaning in between other jobs, or just having great attitudes were the ones I took care of. I always made sure they had the hours they were looking for. I couldn't do my job well without them.

Even the people a step down from my superstars...the people that were always on time for their shift, who followed directions well, and had good attitudes were sure to get 30-40 hours a week depending on their needs. I'd work with them because they made my life easier.

But the bums...the ones that showed up late for shifts, never covered a shift outside of their schedule, people with bad attitudes who obviously took no pride in what they did, these people would generally get 15 hours or less. Even the people who were good at a specific job but had poor attitudes, they are bums to me. I'd take an unskilled hard-worker over a skilled diva with a poor attitude any day.

What I'm saying to the OP is that if you're not getting enough hours at work, it's nobody's fault but yours.

Do a self-assessment:

• Are you there early every day? No exceptions? Remember, if you're "on-time", you're late. Be 5 minutes early for every shift.
  • Is your uniform clean, nails clean and trimmed, hair washed, combed and out of the way? I don't care if you work in the back, you need to look presentable at work at all times.
  • Check your attitude. When you're assigned a job, do you grumble and meander over to it, or is your response a peppy "sure thing!" with physical enthusiasm to match?
  • What are you doing during slow times? If you're a dishwasher, what do you do between trays of dishes to be done? Is your station spotless? If not, clean it. If the area is perfect, grab something like a pot or a board and give it a deep cleaning. Make it like new again. Things like this is restaurants get dingy after time. A little elbow grease goes a long way.
  • Are you smiling? I don't care if you hate the job. SMILE! It goes a LOOOOOONG way.

First off I don't smiled if I don't like something I don't fake my feelings. I was always there about 30 minutes early, my hygiene was so-so when I came to facial hair, I was eager to help others and I had a good attitude until you pissed me off. Everything was so busy there's not really anytime for anything else.

Smiling isn't a feeling. It's a physical expression. You can not like something and still smile. It's a skill, and a useful one if you want to move up in any job/career. I can't think of a single job out there where you're not going to have to put up with something/someone you don't especially like. It doesn't mean you have to grimace your way through it. If nothing else, consider it a form of training for voice acting. Your character's emotion won't always match up with your personal emotion. Despite what you're feeling inside, you need to be able to convey a positive outward appearance.

And having a good attitude "until you pissed me off"? Give me a break. A while back in this thread, before you found your current job, people were telling you that in an entry-level position you don't have the luxury of being "pissed off" if you want to succeed. You take your lumps and use your dissatisfaction with the job as motivation to improve to eventually EARN your way to a better position. Remember that bosses don't give more hours/promotions/raises...employees EARN them. When you stop trying to blame your boss and realize that you hold all the cards when it comes to improving yourself, you will vastly improve your station.

As far as it being so busy that you don't have time for anything else, make time! Go above and beyond. Tell yourself "I'm going to wash these dishes so fast that I'll have 10 minutes at the end of the night to deep scrub that pot until I can see myself in it". Wow your boss.

And if your hygiene was only "so-so" in any area and you work in a restaurant, that needs to be addressed IMMEDIATELY. In my experience, customers will give you a second chance if the service is bad or the food isn't perfect, but they will never come back if they think the restaurant or the people who worked it were dirty.

Re-read what I bulleted in my previous post. These aren't things where you can do them part-way. You're either doing them or you're not. Comics won't break the cycle of poverty you claim to be in, but your job might. It will take a lot of effort on your part, though.

Voice acting is something that I haven't fully done yet. Well my hygiene was really my fingers nail and facial hair and yeah that needs to improve. I had a couple times where I finished before I was supposed to and that felt good and I did that a few times and I tried to ask my boss for different hours and she cut them that was a nice thanks I got.

Get with reality and grow up. I don't want to have to support you when this all cones crashing down...

That was over two years ago and I stopped because I wasn't good I was told that I have potential but it's really rough and I don't know why you say you'd have to support me you have nothing to do with me.

I don't think this means what you think it means.

Take some businesses classes. Seriously. Seriously.

The margin of error is lets say you're buying a book for $100 and you submit it thinking it has a good shot at a 9.8 which will then be worth $300. Look up what that book goes for in 9.6 or potentially 9.4. Maybe at 9.6 you break even and at 9.4 it will be a small loss. If you've subbed enough books you start to get a general idea of what CGC is looking for in certain grades, so you have to develop your grading eye so you have some sort of confidence that a book will come back in the grade range you believe it to be.

There's nothing wrong with taking a gamble now and then as long as you can afford to do so, but you should always try to mitigate your losses, especially now as you're trying to build up your cash.

I deleted my post as I think it just encourages behavior that should probably be discouraged

This flipping business isn't easy. I felt my original post made it sound like anyone can do it and in reality they can't

Part of your success will depend on many factors some of which I hate to say you don't have at this time

I'm driving now but I'll elaborate later

Yeah it does seem like that doesn't it? Yes my hygiene could definitely improve but I always came in on time, was willing to help and a team player. My attitude only come from people that get on my nerves and that didn't happen often there. I do have one employer with thee managers that liked me and said if I ever want a job it will always be there for me. My major thing is I wanted to be treated with respect even though yes I earn minimum wage I'm still a person because I treat others how they treat me it's that simple.

The obvious question here is "Why aren't you working for them then?".

You've said you've put out countless resumes over the summer with nary a bite.

No the one piece of advice I can think I don't listen to is people telling me to stop buying and selling comics.

.. and there you have it, Gabe. You have brought your problem home in one sentence .. and it's not like it's the casual poster in this thread offering this advice to you .. it's virtually everyone .. because we can see what a mess you are slowly (but surely) getting in to.

Please don't reply with " .. what mess? .. " .. as there's 206 pages of your

up

deals, trades, whatever. You have got lucky on a couple. That's not the norm for you.

LISTEN TO THAT ONE PIECE OF ADVICE! You might not like hearing it being repeated ad infinitum .. but, maaaan .. you do need to act on it.

I know I see that but my mistakes are being fixed one by one in terms of comics. My asm 129 is my latest mistake but that as well can be fixed.

.. until the next mistake, Gabe .. but that will be fixed too, I guess.

I don't think this means what you think it means.

Take some businesses classes. Seriously. Seriously.

Why did you say that twice? and I did take a business class before.

The margin of error is lets say you're buying a book for $100 and you submit it thinking it has a good shot at a 9.8 which will then be worth $300. Look up what that book goes for in 9.6 or potentially 9.4. Maybe at 9.6 you break even and at 9.4 it will be a small loss. If you've subbed enough books you start to get a general idea of what CGC is looking for in certain grades, so you have to develop your grading eye so you have some sort of confidence that a book will come back in the grade range you believe it to be.

There's nothing wrong with taking a gamble now and then as long as you can afford to do so, but you should always try to mitigate your losses, especially now as you're trying to build up your cash.

Using this example you can look at your ASM 129 which is currently a 8.0. A CGC 9.0 just sold in the ComicLink auction for $1,140 which may be a bit low but even if you get a 9.0 after a press and regrade you have not really made any money after grading fees and shipping etc. So even if you get lucky you still barely break even does not give you much margin of error or profit. Just sell it for a slight loss and I'd avoid doing the crack/press/slab on high end books until you have a ton of experience (especially with CGC grading very tightly right now).

Do a self-assessment:

Get with reality and grow up. I don't want to have to support you when this all cones crashing down...

That was over two years ago and I stopped because I wasn't good I was told that I have potential but it's really rough and I don't know why you say you'd have to support me you have nothing to do with me.

You mentioned wanting to take voice lessons not that long ago.

By support I mean myself and fellow Canadians supporting you because you refuse to take any real steps to support yourself.

I like the way you laid it out and I do think that way sometimes but not often.

I deleted my post as I think it just encourages behavior that should probably be discouraged

This flipping business isn't easy. I felt my original post made it sound like anyone can do it and in reality they can't

Part of your success will depend on many factors some of which I hate to say you don't have at this time

I'm driving now but I'll elaborate later

Thanks I'll be reading it.

Yeah it does seem like that doesn't it? Yes my hygiene could definitely improve but I always came in on time, was willing to help and a team player. My attitude only come from people that get on my nerves and that didn't happen often there. I do have one employer with thee managers that liked me and said if I ever want a job it will always be there for me. My major thing is I wanted to be treated with respect even though yes I earn minimum wage I'm still a person because I treat others how they treat me it's that simple.

The obvious question here is "Why aren't you working for them then?".

You've said you've put out countless resumes over the summer with nary a bite.

That would be because I don't live anywhere near there anymore if I did I would have already been with them/

Using this example you can look at your ASM 129 which is currently a 8.0. A CGC 9.0 just sold in the ComicLink auction for $1,140 which may be a bit low but even if you get a 9.0 after a press and regrade you have not really made any money after grading fees and shipping etc. So even if you get lucky you still barely break even does not give you much margin of error or profit. Just sell it for a slight loss and I'd avoid doing the crack/press/slab on high end books until you have a ton of experience (especially with CGC grading very tightly right now).

That is a lot of money to tie up in a single book when he's already in debt. He could've bought 10-15 books or more with the same $900 and had a better chance at turning a profit.

No the one piece of advice I can think I don't listen to is people telling me to stop buying and selling comics.

.. and there you have it, Gabe. You have brought your problem home in one sentence .. and it's not like it's the casual poster in this thread offering this advice to you .. it's virtually everyone .. because we can see what a mess you are slowly (but surely) getting in to.

Please don't reply with " .. what mess? .. " .. as there's 206 pages of your

up

deals, trades, whatever. You have got lucky on a couple. That's not the norm for you.

LISTEN TO THAT ONE PIECE OF ADVICE! You might not like hearing it being repeated ad infinitum .. but, maaaan .. you do need to act on it.

I know I see that but my mistakes are being fixed one by one in terms of comics. My asm 129 is my latest mistake but that as well can be fixed.

.. until the next mistake, Gabe .. but that will be fixed too, I guess.

Yeah I disappoint people with my mistakes but now all my mistakes really is the asm 129 and working of that 1100 debt

Do a self-assessment:

You are even worse at dealing comics.

SO STOP!

8 8