• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

All the comic buying/selling/trading shenanigans aside, here's one part I can't get past.

The OP keeps saying that he wants to get a job that offers more hours, yet he has a job.

When I managed a restaurant, I never gave hours to anyone...employees earned their hours.

My superstars...the ones that went above and beyond by either covering a last minute call-off, cleaning in between other jobs, or just having great attitudes were the ones I took care of. I always made sure they had the hours they were looking for. I couldn't do my job well without them.

Even the people a step down from my superstars...the people that were always on time for their shift, who followed directions well, and had good attitudes were sure to get 30-40 hours a week depending on their needs. I'd work with them because they made my life easier.

But the bums...the ones that showed up late for shifts, never covered a shift outside of their schedule, people with bad attitudes who obviously took no pride in what they did, these people would generally get 15 hours or less. Even the people who were good at a specific job but had poor attitudes, they are bums to me. I'd take an unskilled hard-worker over a skilled diva with a poor attitude any day.

What I'm saying to the OP is that if you're not getting enough hours at work, it's nobody's fault but yours.

Do a self-assessment:

• Are you there early every day? No exceptions? Remember, if you're "on-time", you're late. Be 5 minutes early for every shift.
  • Is your uniform clean, nails clean and trimmed, hair washed, combed and out of the way? I don't care if you work in the back, you need to look presentable at work at all times.
  • Check your attitude. When you're assigned a job, do you grumble and meander over to it, or is your response a peppy "sure thing!" with physical enthusiasm to match?
  • What are you doing during slow times? If you're a dishwasher, what do you do between trays of dishes to be done? Is your station spotless? If not, clean it. If the area is perfect, grab something like a pot or a board and give it a deep cleaning. Make it like new again. Things like this is restaurants get dingy after time. A little elbow grease goes a long way.
  • Are you smiling? I don't care if you hate the job. SMILE! It goes a LOOOOOONG way.

First off I don't smiled if I don't like something I don't fake my feelings. I was always there about 30 minutes early, my hygiene was so-so when I came to facial hair, I was eager to help others and I had a good attitude until you pissed me off. Everything was so busy there's not really anytime for anything else.

Smiling isn't a feeling. It's a physical expression. You can not like something and still smile. It's a skill, and a useful one if you want to move up in any job/career. I can't think of a single job out there where you're not going to have to put up with something/someone you don't especially like. It doesn't mean you have to grimace your way through it. If nothing else, consider it a form of training for voice acting. Your character's emotion won't always match up with your personal emotion. Despite what you're feeling inside, you need to be able to convey a positive outward appearance.

And having a good attitude "until you pissed me off"? Give me a break. A while back in this thread, before you found your current job, people were telling you that in an entry-level position you don't have the luxury of being "pissed off" if you want to succeed. You take your lumps and use your dissatisfaction with the job as motivation to improve to eventually EARN your way to a better position. Remember that bosses don't give more hours/promotions/raises...employees EARN them. When you stop trying to blame your boss and realize that you hold all the cards when it comes to improving yourself, you will vastly improve your station.

As far as it being so busy that you don't have time for anything else, make time! Go above and beyond. Tell yourself "I'm going to wash these dishes so fast that I'll have 10 minutes at the end of the night to deep scrub that pot until I can see myself in it". Wow your boss.

And if your hygiene was only "so-so" in any area and you work in a restaurant, that needs to be addressed IMMEDIATELY. In my experience, customers will give you a second chance if the service is bad or the food isn't perfect, but they will never come back if they think the restaurant or the people who worked it were dirty.

Re-read what I bulleted in my previous post. These aren't things where you can do them part-way. You're either doing them or you're not. Comics won't break the cycle of poverty you claim to be in, but your job might. It will take a lot of effort on your part, though.

Voice acting is something that I haven't fully done yet. Well my hygiene was really my fingers nail and facial hair and yeah that needs to improve. I had a couple times where I finished before I was supposed to and that felt good and I did that a few times and I tried to ask my boss for different hours and she cut them that was a nice thanks I got.

Dude you are as bad at voice acting as you are at selling comics.

https://www.voices.com/talents/search?search_submit=Search&keyword=gabriel+kawa

Get with reality and grow up. I don't want to have to support you when this all cones crashing down...

That was over two years ago and I stopped because I wasn't good I was told that I have potential but it's really rough and I don't know why you say you'd have to support me you have nothing to do with me.

You mentioned wanting to take voice lessons not that long ago.

By support I mean myself and fellow Canadians supporting you because you refuse to take any real steps to support yourself.

Oh that would only happen if the assessment people would like my demos or at least be willing to teach me and I would be doing this with my own my not any assistance.

I hope that ASM129 comes back 9.0 then what will everyone say

That would be a good thing, but what if it comes back a 7.5? You know as well as anyone else who flips that you need to have that margin for error built into your business model.

What is the margin of error percentage?

The margin of error is lets say you're buying a book for $100 and you submit it thinking it has a good shot at a 9.8 which will then be worth $300. Look up what that book goes for in 9.6 or potentially 9.4. Maybe at 9.6 you break even and at 9.4 it will be a small loss. If you've subbed enough books you start to get a general idea of what CGC is looking for in certain grades, so you have to develop your grading eye so you have some sort of confidence that a book will come back in the grade range you believe it to be.

There's nothing wrong with taking a gamble now and then as long as you can afford to do so, but you should always try to mitigate your losses, especially now as you're trying to build up your cash.

I like the way you laid it out and I do think that way sometimes but not often.

You need to think that way all the time right now. Grind it out, build your cash up and eventually you will be able to take risks on bigger books. Always think about building your cash up, you will take some losses, that happens to everyone, but you want to minimize them as much as possible.

First off I don't smiled if I don't like something I don't fake my feelings. I was always there about 30 minutes early, my hygiene was so-so when I came to facial hair, I was eager to help others and I had a good attitude until you pissed me off. Everything was so busy there's not really anytime for anything else.

It seems like you don't exhibit the behaviors that an employer would find desirable and your attitude about your job is pretty bad. If you don't learn to control your emotions then you will never succeed in a job where you either work with other people or with the public. Your employer is paying you for your time to not only do a job but to also contribute to a team environment. If all you do is give people your attitude, don't smile, complain about the work you have to do, and come in with poor hygiene then you only have to blame yourself for not being able to move ahead in the workplace.

Yeah it does seem like that doesn't it? Yes my hygiene could definitely improve but I always came in on time, was willing to help and a team player. My attitude only come from people that get on my nerves and that didn't happen often there. I do have one employer with thee managers that liked me and said if I ever want a job it will always be there for me. My major thing is I wanted to be treated with respect even though yes I earn minimum wage I'm still a person because I treat others how they treat me it's that simple.

Coming to work on time is only part of it. You're allowing other people to affect your attitude which will impact how your employer will view you. I don't think your lower wage impacts the respect people gives you. Respect is something that is earned, not given.

So if you have three managers who liked you so much that they gave you a standing offer for a job then why don't you jump on that?

That would be a good thing, but what if it comes back a 7.5? You know as well as anyone else who flips that you need to have that margin for error built into your business model.

The margin of error is lets say you're buying a book for $100 and you submit it thinking it has a good shot at a 9.8 which will then be worth $300. Look up what that book goes for in 9.6 or potentially 9.4. Maybe at 9.6 you break even and at 9.4 it will be a small loss. If you've subbed enough books you start to get a general idea of what CGC is looking for in certain grades, so you have to develop your grading eye so you have some sort of confidence that a book will come back in the grade range you believe it to be.

There's nothing wrong with taking a gamble now and then as long as you can afford to do so, but you should always try to mitigate your losses, especially now as you're trying to build up your cash.

Using this example you can look at your ASM 129 which is currently a 8.0. A CGC 9.0 just sold in the ComicLink auction for $1,140 which may be a bit low but even if you get a 9.0 after a press and regrade you have not really made any money after grading fees and shipping etc. So even if you get lucky you still barely break even does not give you much margin of error or profit. Just sell it for a slight loss and I'd avoid doing the crack/press/slab on high end books until you have a ton of experience (especially with CGC grading very tightly right now).

Is CGC grading hard right now because of the terrible cases that they've had? I see it getting a 8.5 if anything but before I try to cpr I'll try to sell it first.

ok, so you've done a full analysis of the costs involved with pressing, including shipping back and forth, grading, insurance, translation fees, any custom or border fees.

And OF course you've calculated some EDUCATED estimated probabilities of receiving a 8.5, 8.0, and 7.5.

And OF course you've calculated some CONSERVATIVE expected realized values per grade upon selling, after selling fees, translation, shipping, insurance, customs duties, and taxes.

And with this information, you've OBVIOUSLY used the probabilities and expected values to calculated a reasonable conservative expected value of return WITH PRESSING, and one WITHOUT PRESSING. And obviously, you've determined that its more worth it through all this math that PRESSING and RESUB is worth it.

Not that you owe an explanation to anyone, but IF you could do this calculation and show your work and estimates and assumptions, I think most of us would be much more supportive. And if you don't know what I'm talking about or can't do the math, there is literally ZERO chance YOU will ever be successful in buying and selling comics, and certainly not with this comic. (Which is not to say every successful dealer can do this kind of math, but those dealers are at least smart enough to buy with such obviously large margins that the math is somewhat moot.)

to add -- some dealers may not go through this level of math - but successful ones - can use their own experience to evaluate deals....

this is what revat is describing -

total investment is what you paid - plus all pressing fees

Left side - is the estimate as to what will happen when regraded - I think I am being generous since 80% of the pressers you spoke with do not want to touch the book for fear of damage.

sales price is based on GPA - the good thing about this book is that there are enough data points that I can snag 30 day average and year high/low and have a reasonable expectation of accuracy. The percentages in this area are the calculation values - 90% of the time the book will sell for average. 5% high. 5% low.

The weighted profit or loss - takes into account the % you will see this book at that grade after CPR. The final number - is a sum of these and represents the average profit or loss from this transaction.

gpa-asm-129.jpg

So - not taking into account fees (ebay, paypal, HA - whatever) - OR OUTBOUND SHIPPING - trying to CPR this book will cost you an extra $100.

Take the project sale price of 8 - remove the extra 110 for CPR --- and you are $100 better trying to sell raw.

not including seller fees

not including shipping of the sale

Here's the thing

Whether it's a $5 book or a $1000 book I don't think Gabe you have the ability to determine a books profit potential

This takes time and work and sometimes a little liuck

It would seem based on the books you buying that you want to make the easy score but often those books the profit margin has already been made by the person selling to you or the previous owner

I rarely buy books that are already graded. Too much risk for me.

I would say that if you are going to keep buying comics to sell then I would advise buying less expensive books as they carry less financial risk

The reality is you are going to do what you want to do. People here should have realized that from post number one. Getting angry at you is just wasted energy

Good luck

All the comic buying/selling/trading shenanigans aside, here's one part I can't get past.

The OP keeps saying that he wants to get a job that offers more hours, yet he has a job.

When I managed a restaurant, I never gave hours to anyone...employees earned their hours.

My superstars...the ones that went above and beyond by either covering a last minute call-off, cleaning in between other jobs, or just having great attitudes were the ones I took care of. I always made sure they had the hours they were looking for. I couldn't do my job well without them.

Even the people a step down from my superstars...the people that were always on time for their shift, who followed directions well, and had good attitudes were sure to get 30-40 hours a week depending on their needs. I'd work with them because they made my life easier.

But the bums...the ones that showed up late for shifts, never covered a shift outside of their schedule, people with bad attitudes who obviously took no pride in what they did, these people would generally get 15 hours or less. Even the people who were good at a specific job but had poor attitudes, they are bums to me. I'd take an unskilled hard-worker over a skilled diva with a poor attitude any day.

What I'm saying to the OP is that if you're not getting enough hours at work, it's nobody's fault but yours.

Do a self-assessment:

• Are you there early every day? No exceptions? Remember, if you're "on-time", you're late. Be 5 minutes early for every shift.
  • Is your uniform clean, nails clean and trimmed, hair washed, combed and out of the way? I don't care if you work in the back, you need to look presentable at work at all times.
  • Check your attitude. When you're assigned a job, do you grumble and meander over to it, or is your response a peppy "sure thing!" with physical enthusiasm to match?
  • What are you doing during slow times? If you're a dishwasher, what do you do between trays of dishes to be done? Is your station spotless? If not, clean it. If the area is perfect, grab something like a pot or a board and give it a deep cleaning. Make it like new again. Things like this is restaurants get dingy after time. A little elbow grease goes a long way.
  • Are you smiling? I don't care if you hate the job. SMILE! It goes a LOOOOOONG way.

Smiling isn't a feeling. It's a physical expression. You can not like something and still smile. It's a skill, and a useful one if you want to move up in any job/career. I can't think of a single job out there where you're not going to have to put up with something/someone you don't especially like. It doesn't mean you have to grimace your way through it. If nothing else, consider it a form of training for voice acting. Your character's emotion won't always match up with your personal emotion. Despite what you're feeling inside, you need to be able to convey a positive outward appearance.

And having a good attitude "until you pissed me off"? Give me a break. A while back in this thread, before you found your current job, people were telling you that in an entry-level position you don't have the luxury of being "pissed off" if you want to succeed. You take your lumps and use your dissatisfaction with the job as motivation to improve to eventually EARN your way to a better position. Remember that bosses don't give more hours/promotions/raises...employees EARN them. When you stop trying to blame your boss and realize that you hold all the cards when it comes to improving yourself, you will vastly improve your station.

As far as it being so busy that you don't have time for anything else, make time! Go above and beyond. Tell yourself "I'm going to wash these dishes so fast that I'll have 10 minutes at the end of the night to deep scrub that pot until I can see myself in it". Wow your boss.

And if your hygiene was only "so-so" in any area and you work in a restaurant, that needs to be addressed IMMEDIATELY. In my experience, customers will give you a second chance if the service is bad or the food isn't perfect, but they will never come back if they think the restaurant or the people who worked it were dirty.

Re-read what I bulleted in my previous post. These aren't things where you can do them part-way. You're either doing them or you're not. Comics won't break the cycle of poverty you claim to be in, but your job might. It will take a lot of effort on your part, though.

Voice acting is something that I haven't fully done yet. Well my hygiene was really my fingers nail and facial hair and yeah that needs to improve. I had a couple times where I finished before I was supposed to and that felt good and I did that a few times and I tried to ask my boss for different hours and she cut them that was a nice thanks I got.

Get with reality and grow up. I don't want to have to support you when this all cones crashing down...

That was over two years ago and I stopped because I wasn't good I was told that I have potential but it's really rough and I don't know why you say you'd have to support me you have nothing to do with me.

You are even worse at dealing comics.

SO STOP!

You'll disagree with me but I'm going to say I'm not.

Keith doesn't want the book he already has an 8.0 not to mention he isnt going to pay 20% over market. If he really wanted it that badly I would have sourced him one. Heck I have an 8.5 I'll be bringing into his shop in 2 weeks time ;)

Is it wrong to say I'm going to laugh when you cpr the book and it doesn't get a grade bump... You don't have the knowledge or the funds to gamble on a grade bump. Many have said cgc us tight atm coupled that with if it doesn't go up a full point (9.0 you are still losing!!!)

If you want to sell comics and make money I have some short boxes filled with $1 books I would gladly sell for $0.33c a unit and heck I would even drive them over just to free some space.

The best I see the asm 129 getting is a 8.5 and I didn't expect him to overpay since he's in the business to make money. I don't want any more 1 dollar comics I don't even know what to do with the ones I have.

You've been told often enough. Sell them. Ebay, Craigslist, etc

No one is even looking or asking questions about my dollar comics and I can't really go less then a dollar for them

Are these books you bought or are they books you got free using the method you posted on YouTube?

Is CGC grading hard right now because of the terrible cases that they've had? I see it getting a 8.5 if anything but before I try to cpr I'll try to sell it first.

you think it will grade 8.5 - but the staple tear will most likely prevent that

at 8.5 - you are most likely making $10 on the transaction without including any credit card fees. see analysis above - and you have LOW % probability for that to happen........

I like the way you laid it out and I do think that way sometimes but not often.

You need to think that way all the time right now. Grind it out, build your cash up and eventually you will be able to take risks on bigger books. Always think about building your cash up, you will take some losses, that happens to everyone, but you want to minimize them as much as possible.

To be honest I don't know how to begin with finding 100 dollar comics I remember the comics that I do because they are key issues and in mist cases easier to flip.

ok, so you've done a full analysis of the costs involved with pressing, including shipping back and forth, grading, insurance, translation fees, any custom or border fees.

And OF course you've calculated some EDUCATED estimated probabilities of receiving a 8.5, 8.0, and 7.5.

And OF course you've calculated some CONSERVATIVE expected realized values per grade upon selling, after selling fees, translation, shipping, insurance, customs duties, and taxes.

And with this information, you've OBVIOUSLY used the probabilities and expected values to calculated a reasonable conservative expected value of return WITH PRESSING, and one WITHOUT PRESSING. And obviously, you've determined that its more worth it through all this math that PRESSING and RESUB is worth it.

Not that you owe an explanation to anyone, but IF you could do this calculation and show your work and estimates and assumptions, I think most of us would be much more supportive. And if you don't know what I'm talking about or can't do the math, there is literally ZERO chance YOU will ever be successful in buying and selling comics, and certainly not with this comic. (Which is not to say every successful dealer can do this kind of math, but those dealers are at least smart enough to buy with such obviously large margins that the math is somewhat moot.)

to add -- some dealers may not go through this level of math - but successful ones - can use their own experience to evaluate deals....

this is what revat is describing -

total investment is what you paid - plus all pressing fees

Left side - is the estimate as to what will happen when regraded - I think I am being generous since 80% of the pressers you spoke with do not want to touch the book for fear of damage.

sales price is based on GPA - the good thing about this book is that there are enough data points that I can snag 30 day average and year high/low and have a reasonable expectation of accuracy. The percentages in this area are the calculation values - 90% of the time the book will sell for average. 5% high. 5% low.

The weighted profit or loss - takes into account the % you will see this book at that grade after CPR. The final number - is a sum of these and represents the average profit or loss from this transaction.

gpa-asm-129.jpg

So - not taking into account fees (ebay, paypal, HA - whatever) - OR OUTBOUND SHIPPING - trying to CPR this book will cost you an extra $100.

Take the project sale price of 8 - remove the extra 110 for CPR --- and you are $100 better trying to sell raw.

not including seller fees

not including shipping of the sale

Awesome chart but how did you get the occurrence percentage and how much I should get value wise? I don't get that complex with my decisions in buying.

Do a self-assessment:

You are even worse at dealing comics.

SO STOP!

You'll disagree with me but I'm going to say I'm not.

You can say whatever you want to say. The evidence is what matters. You are absolutely clueless.

It seems like you don't exhibit the behaviors that an employer would find desirable and your attitude about your job is pretty bad. If you don't learn to control your emotions then you will never succeed in a job where you either work with other people or with the public. Your employer is paying you for your time to not only do a job but to also contribute to a team environment. If all you do is give people your attitude, don't smile, complain about the work you have to do, and come in with poor hygiene then you only have to blame yourself for not being able to move ahead in the workplace.

Yeah it does seem like that doesn't it? Yes my hygiene could definitely improve but I always came in on time, was willing to help and a team player. My attitude only come from people that get on my nerves and that didn't happen often there. I do have one employer with thee managers that liked me and said if I ever want a job it will always be there for me. My major thing is I wanted to be treated with respect even though yes I earn minimum wage I'm still a person because I treat others how they treat me it's that simple.

Coming to work on time is only part of it. You're allowing other people to affect your attitude which will impact how your employer will view you. I don't think your lower wage impacts the respect people gives you. Respect is something that is earned, not given.

So if you have three managers who liked you so much that they gave you a standing offer for a job then why don't you jump on that?

Three reasons actually

1) I don't live there anymore

2) I would only have 27-30 hours per week

3) The cost of living is way more expensive then it is here

Keith doesn't want the book he already has an 8.0 not to mention he isnt going to pay 20% over market. If he really wanted it that badly I would have sourced him one. Heck I have an 8.5 I'll be bringing into his shop in 2 weeks time ;)

Is it wrong to say I'm going to laugh when you cpr the book and it doesn't get a grade bump... You don't have the knowledge or the funds to gamble on a grade bump. Many have said cgc us tight atm coupled that with if it doesn't go up a full point (9.0 you are still losing!!!)

If you want to sell comics and make money I have some short boxes filled with $1 books I would gladly sell for $0.33c a unit and heck I would even drive them over just to free some space.

The best I see the asm 129 getting is a 8.5 and I didn't expect him to overpay since he's in the business to make money. I don't want any more 1 dollar comics I don't even know what to do with the ones I have.

You've been told often enough. Sell them. Ebay, Craigslist, etc

No one is even looking or asking questions about my dollar comics and I can't really go less then a dollar for them

Are these books you bought or are they books you got free using the method you posted on YouTube?

Half of them are free and the other half is my method I posted on Youtube.

Here's the thing

Whether it's a $5 book or a $1000 book I don't think Gabe you have the ability to determine a books profit potential

This takes time and work and sometimes a little liuck

It would seem based on the books you buying that you want to make the easy score but often those books the profit margin has already been made by the person selling to you or the previous owner

I rarely buy books that are already graded. Too much risk for me.

I would say that if you are going to keep buying comics to sell then I would advise buying less expensive books as they carry less financial risk

The reality is you are going to do what you want to do. People here should have realized that from post number one. Getting angry at you is just wasted energy

Good luck

Yes negotiation is something I need to work on and I buy graded books for the opposite reason because if something would come back restored it would be worse as restored comics lose 50-75% of their value if I'm not mistaken.

at 8.5 - you are most likely making $10 on the transaction without including any credit card fees. see analysis above - and you have LOW % probability for that to happen........

Should that happen I wouldn't be worth time investing into and would have been better of buying a better copy or negotiate a better price instead of overpaying for it.

Should that happen I wouldn't be worth time investing into and would have been better of buying a better copy or negotiate a better price instead of overpaying for it.

Or, find another Gabe to sell to.

Or, find another Gabe to sell to.

Haha well I have done it before.

8 8