• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, W16227 said:

Because if you try and be direct - you might scare them off. If they do use volunteers - you need to show interest and see what they have available.  Asking for access to the cash register is simply WRONG. You have a very bad habit of over-reaching and over-extending yourself instead of learning the basics. 

You misunderstood me, I said I want to volunteer at my lcs not just use the cash register but of course it doesn't hurt to ask and see what they say.

10 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

I know you did NOT consider the ASM #129 a scam.  My point was you were scammed 3 times and then you did a big boo boo when you bought the ASM #129 off ICE that a boardie subsequently bought off you to save your skin.  My point was you were scammed 3 X + the ASM #129/ICE purchase mistake. Plus all the other mistakes and bad buys, like the 1st Doctor Aphra, etc. etc. THAT was also a big part of why you were/are in the hole, not just because of those three instances.

I know I brought the FB post up, not sure why you are telling me that but yeah, it speaks to a whole slew of issues.  However, to keep this to the purpose of the thread, from a comic selling "business", who is going to consign with someone who advertises they have money problems? I see some "unknown seller" with an AF #15 or advertising consignment services, I am going to do some research and look them up and lo and behold, they say they have $$$ problems. Who do you think would buy/consign from you after seeing that? You want to work at a Money Mart? Work a cash register? Yes, by all means, advertise cash flow and potential problems with the government...

Social media serves a variety of purposes. Using it how you are is your choice, yes, but there can be this thing called "consequences".

Yes, you make a fair point, I do make many mistakes and everyone has problems and besides the fact of money in my city, many people say they're going to bring stuff and never do they just waste my time and that's long before I even made such a post.  Yes, I'm aware of consequences but considering the city I live in it won't make much of  a difference 

9 hours ago, Patriot6 said:

Hey there,

If the jobs market is lousy out East and it is tough to fill out a work week, then I have to tell you that we are desperate for workers here in MB and I just recently saw a CBC piece that stated that SK and BC were the same. We need to bring in foreign workers to work in the meat packing plants and the potato processing plants.  Those are good paying jobs. We also have to bring in foreign workers to work McDonalds and Tim's. These are all jobs that amount to 40 hrs a week with a fair amount of upward mobility. Basically any retailer is desperate for workers out here and trades. 

Perhaps it is your current location?

I live in Niagara falls, but I did live in Alberta for about a year.

2 hours ago, uchiha101 said:

You misunderstood me, I said I want to volunteer at my lcs not just use the cash register but of course it doesn't hurt to ask and see what they say.

I did not misunderstand you at all. I made a suggestion with respect to your pitch that would greatly improve your chances.

You then did what you always seem to do - ignore sound advice and make up reasons why your way will work.  

Asking for access to a cash register is a bad idea for your pitch. You gain trust by doing the tasks assigned to you - and work your way up.  

3 hours ago, W16227 said:

I did not misunderstand you at all. I made a suggestion with respect to your pitch that would greatly improve your chances.

You then did what you always seem to do - ignore sound advice and make up reasons why your way will work.  

Asking for access to a cash register is a bad idea for your pitch. You gain trust by doing the tasks assigned to you - and work your way up.  

I've been paying attention to what the volunteers have been doing and if you think I'm making things up so be it. Also, unlike other time I watched before I said anything so no I'm not doing the same things as before and you keep bringing up the cash register all the time when I already explained why I need it. Trust issues are something you seem to have regarding when it comes to me and the cash register and they also have camera's all over the place.

3 hours ago, uchiha101 said:

I live in Niagara falls, but I did live in Alberta for about a year.

AB is not a good place to go for work right now. MB and SK are very affordable with lots of work. 

There is no demand for employees at retail outlets or fast food in Niagra? Even if you have to work at two different places 20hrs/20hrs to make forty?

9 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

AB is not a good place to go for work right now. MB and SK are very affordable with lots of work. 

There is no demand for employees at retail outlets or fast food in Niagra? Even if you have to work at two different places 20hrs/20hrs to make forty?

I've heard similar things about SK in terms of the need for workers, especially in terms of entry positions/unskilled labor.  I know a lot of people are somewhat attached to their hometowns, but it doesn't sound like the OP is living in an ancestral home that his great-grandfather built or anything like that, nor do you appeared to be anchored by an awesome job, family, or significant other.  And moving to SK may not advance a 'comic dealing dream', but I think the first goal should be a 'productive member of society capable of sustaining a life for myself.'  You work hard (and sometimes take risks) now to give you more options in the future.  That's how life works.

32 minutes ago, uchiha101 said:

I've been paying attention to what the volunteers have been doing and if you think I'm making things up so be it. Also, unlike other time I watched before I said anything so no I'm not doing the same things as before and you keep bringing up the cash register all the time when I already explained why I need it. Trust issues are something you seem to have regarding when it comes to me and the cash register and they also have camera's all over the place.

But those are existing volunteers that have history with the shop. You are coming in with little relationship and are asking right away to handle the cash drawer. 

8 minutes ago, W16227 said:
43 minutes ago, uchiha101 said:

But those are existing volunteers that have history with the shop. You are coming in with little relationship and are asking right away to handle the cash drawer. 

Ironically, the lack of gravity that the OP assigns to the cash drawer duties automatically precludes him from being qualified to work the cash drawer. 

I wouldn't mention cash drawer at all upon asking to be a volunteer.  I wouldn't want a volunteer that has ANY thoughts about ANYTHING to do with the money.

1 hour ago, Iceman399 said:

What volunteers are you talking about Gabe?  I don't remember the last time I saw someone in the shop that didn't belong there...are you sure they aren't hired help hm 

I've seen some 'volunteers' at some of our local LCS's.  Usually they're just people who love to hang out and chat and/or friends of the employees and/or people waiting to play magic or other games.  They're usually helping out with some of the most basic tasks, like bagging and boarding books, alphabetizing shelves or back issues, helping set up tables in anticipation of games, general cleaning and sorting of the shop.  Some of those same people help out during free comic book day or big sales to answer questions or as theft prevention, those types of things.  But I could conceivably see someone helping to sweep up or put up decorations or displays or something, or break down boxes or take out the trash.  I don't know if its formal 'volunteering', or more just dudes (and the occasional lady) helping out their homies while they're chilling at the shop anyways...

2 minutes ago, revat said:

I've seen some 'volunteers' at some of our local LCS's.  Usually they're just people who love to hang out and chat and/or friends of the employees and/or people waiting to play magic or other games.  They're usually helping out with some of the most basic tasks, like bagging and boarding books, alphabetizing shelves or back issues, helping set up tables in anticipation of games, general cleaning and sorting of the shop.  Some of those same people help out during free comic book day or big sales to answer questions or as theft prevention, those types of things.  But I could conceivably see someone helping to sweep up or put up decorations or displays or something, or break down boxes or take out the trash.  I don't know if its formal 'volunteering', or more just dudes (and the occasional lady) helping out their homies while they're chilling at the shop anyways...

I know the shop that Gabe wants to volunteer and "I don't remember the last time I saw someone in the shop that didn't belong there...are you sure they aren't hired help"

25 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

I know the shop that Gabe wants to volunteer and "I don't remember the last time I saw someone in the shop that didn't belong there...are you sure they aren't hired help"

for sure, not every shop (and probably not most shops) have volunteers or anything resembling them.  But some do.  The other thing to consider is that some employees may resent volunteers if they are not getting paid, but are cutting into the paid hours of real volunteers.

I think that's one of the other issues for the OP.  He's looking for experience, which is good, but most of the volunteers I've seen LOVE being in comic book stores, not for money or experience, but for the love of comics (or games), or because of their relationships with the store owners.  The OP has proven that he loves turning a profit on books (who the eff doesn't like buying low and selling high), but to me hasn't really shown a LOVE (and knowledge) of comics that will make him successful (aside from all the other skills he doesn't have). 

Yes I guess technically you could learn those things if you had to in a more academic fashion if you forced yourself, but if you were forcing yourself to learn something you should probably force something more lucrative.  If you want to work at a store or convince someone you should work at a comic store, what do you bring other than free labor? 

People might want to chat with you about comics.  What can you bring to the table other than "I like archie, I was scammed 3 times on comics, I live with my parents"? 

Do you watch all comic movies and a decent percentage of comic TV?  What independent titles have you read recently that you like?  Have you read Saga?  How do you feel about where they've gone in Walking Dead TV vs the comics?  Invincible is over, what else can you suggest for my pull list?  Who's side are you on in the first Marvel Civil War, howabout the 2nd Civil War? and WHY?  Why aren't old Conan comics worth more?  Is Thanos just a ripoff of Darkseid? My kid loves captain America, what do you recommend for him to read? What's your favorite Deadpool TPB?  Howabout the best Harley TPB? and why?  You've got to PROVE you have the passion, so much so that you can't contain it. 

I don't know all the answers to the above questions (and I don't want anyone's answers), but if I was hiring anyone (even a volunteer) for my shop, I'd want someone who can banter about semi-relevant comic topics fairly comfortably, both for myself as the owner, the other employees, and the customers.  Those are the kind of people you want in the shop, people who are there because they WANT to be there.

Edited by revat

3 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

I'm positive because I heard them say just yesterday that they can't afford to hire any people so they get volunteers 

6 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Good luck Gabe.  I didn't have any luck volunteering at the white house after I kept talking about being very, very close to the president.

Yes, about Trump I don't follow him anymore.

6 hours ago, revat said:

I've heard similar things about SK in terms of the need for workers, especially in terms of entry positions/unskilled labor.  I know a lot of people are somewhat attached to their hometowns, but it doesn't sound like the OP is living in an ancestral home that his great-grandfather built or anything like that, nor do you appeared to be anchored by an awesome job, family, or significant other.  And moving to SK may not advance a 'comic dealing dream', but I think the first goal should be a 'productive member of society capable of sustaining a life for myself.'  You work hard (and sometimes take risks) now to give you more options in the future.  That's how life works.

My answer to that is no I'm not moving there.

6 hours ago, revat said:

Ironically, the lack of gravity that the OP assigns to the cash drawer duties automatically precludes him from being qualified to work the cash drawer. 

I wouldn't mention cash drawer at all upon asking to be a volunteer.  I wouldn't want a volunteer that has ANY thoughts about ANYTHING to do with the money.

That's your opinion and I already said that I'll be asking them.

3 hours ago, revat said:

Yes, they have friends that help but not everyone that volunteer is a friend but an actual volunteer. I also said that I don't mind doing basic things but my eye is on the cash register since I haven't been hired for a cashier job this is another way to get what I want.

49 minutes ago, uchiha101 said:

Yes, they have friends that help but not everyone that volunteer is a friend but an actual volunteer. I also said that I don't mind doing basic things but my eye is on the cash register since I haven't been hired for a cashier job this is another way to get what I want.

I feel that there is somewhat of a disconnect between your desire and reality. The comic shop's register is going to be nothing like the registers in a franchised retail or fast food, so if your end goal is to be proficient on a register, you might as well learn on the register where your job is going to be. The register they will be using in the CS will be old fashioned compared to the touch screen versions in the 'real world.' It is not using the register that is the skill, it is understanding the business, whether it be comics or Big Macs, that is the real skill you should be looking to acquire.

2c 

8 8