• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, uchiha101 said:

Yes, they have friends that help but not everyone that volunteer is a friend but an actual volunteer. I also said that I don't mind doing basic things but my eye is on the cash register since I haven't been hired for a cashier job this is another way to get what I want.

What is your hangup about a cash register?  As anyone who has been following this thread for any length of time already knows, if you had any real desire to work a cash register, along with the ability to work one, there are dozens of places you could work and run a cash register, for pay no less.  They are called fast food restaurants and retail stores.  For the sake of argument, let's assume that there is no place in your area that will hire you to run a cash register.  Actually, if potential employers were to read this thread, that's a pretty good possibility.  Why not take a leap of faith and try the following: Instead of just jabbering about volunteering, why don't you actually GO VOLUNTEER at the comic shop you're talking about? According to you, they are on such a shoestring budget that they can't afford employees and have to rely on volunteers.  Why don't you stop babbling about volunteering and go volunteer there?  If they take you on, Great!  If they turn you down, what does that tell you?

9 hours ago, uchiha101 said:

I've been paying attention to what the volunteers have been doing and if you think I'm making things up so be it. Also, unlike other time I watched before I said anything so no I'm not doing the same things as before and you keep bringing up the cash register all the time when I already explained why I need it. Trust issues are something you seem to have regarding when it comes to me and the cash register and they also have camera's all over the place.

Unless someone is posted by where they have their security monitor, security cameras are pretty useless when it comes to loss prevention.  It won't stop it but you'll have evidence of the theft, or whatever, so if someone is dishonest, the camera won't stop them from doing something dishonest.  

4 hours ago, uchiha101 said:

That's your opinion and I already said that I'll be asking them.

I don't think that will be a good idea.  There is no established trust between you and the owner of the LCS except for your books being on consignment at the store.  If i were the owner, I would question your motive and I would definitely not let someone volunteer to handle money and sales transactions.  I would assume comic shops are similar to other retailers in the fact that internal shrink is a big problem.  Small business owners will not put their business at risk for someone they have not put any investment into.

4 hours ago, uchiha101 said:

Yes, they have friends that help but not everyone that volunteer is a friend but an actual volunteer. I also said that I don't mind doing basic things but my eye is on the cash register since I haven't been hired for a cashier job this is another way to get what I want.

If I'm a small business owner (and I owned a shop myself, many years ago), the bolded part is what I'm hearing there, and it's exactly why I wouldn't let anyone other than myself or my (future) wife run the register for almost the entire time the store was open.  Only in the last year did I hire someone to work one day a week to run the store (and use the register and handle money) -- and it was a fellow collector I had been friends with for almost 10 years at that point (and am still friends with today).

Register skills are going to be acquired much easier from a large retail operation, as others have pointed out.

5 hours ago, Patriot6 said:

I feel that there is somewhat of a disconnect between your desire and reality. The comic shop's register is going to be nothing like the registers in a franchised retail or fast food, so if your end goal is to be proficient on a register, you might as well learn on the register where your job is going to be. The register they will be using in the CS will be old fashioned compared to the touch screen versions in the 'real world.' It is not using the register that is the skill, it is understanding the business, whether it be comics or Big Macs, that is the real skill you should be looking to acquire.

2c 

Yes it is an older one and I have used a touch screen one before but only a week. Don't worry I'll also be keeping my eye on what's hot and what's not, how they run and learn from my mistakes that I made. 

3 hours ago, Batman1fan said:

What is your hangup about a cash register?  As anyone who has been following this thread for any length of time already knows, if you had any real desire to work a cash register, along with the ability to work one, there are dozens of places you could work and run a cash register, for pay no less.  They are called fast food restaurants and retail stores.  For the sake of argument, let's assume that there is no place in your area that will hire you to run a cash register.  Actually, if potential employers were to read this thread, that's a pretty good possibility.  Why not take a leap of faith and try the following: Instead of just jabbering about volunteering, why don't you actually GO VOLUNTEER at the comic shop you're talking about? According to you, they are on such a shoestring budget that they can't afford employees and have to rely on volunteers.  Why don't you stop babbling about volunteering and go volunteer there?  If they take you on, Great!  If they turn you down, what does that tell you?

You're assuming again or did you not know that I have applied to places that use cash registers and other people that had experience took priority.  I'm not jabbering I'm telling you the reasons why I do things and why I'm trying to buck up the courage to do it. I'm not sure what it would tell me if the turn me down, I guess they wouldn't need any more volunteers at the time?

2 hours ago, 50AE_DE said:

Unless someone is posted by where they have their security monitor, security cameras are pretty useless when it comes to loss prevention.  It won't stop it but you'll have evidence of the theft, or whatever, so if someone is dishonest, the camera won't stop them from doing something dishonest.  

I see, but I meant it gives people less incentive to steal with cameras being there.

2 hours ago, 50AE_DE said:

I don't think that will be a good idea.  There is no established trust between you and the owner of the LCS except for your books being on consignment at the store.  If i were the owner, I would question your motive and I would definitely not let someone volunteer to handle money and sales transactions.  I would assume comic shops are similar to other retailers in the fact that internal shrink is a big problem.  Small business owners will not put their business at risk for someone they have not put any investment into.

Well, there's only one way to find out but I'm feeling optimistic about this.

2 hours ago, ChiSoxFan said:

If I'm a small business owner (and I owned a shop myself, many years ago), the bolded part is what I'm hearing there, and it's exactly why I wouldn't let anyone other than myself or my (future) wife run the register for almost the entire time the store was open.  Only in the last year did I hire someone to work one day a week to run the store (and use the register and handle money) -- and it was a fellow collector I had been friends with for almost 10 years at that point (and am still friends with today).

Register skills are going to be acquired much easier from a large retail operation, as others have pointed out.

Yes, but you're only seeing and hearing what you want because you deem it important, I've handled money and cash registers before but again it will depend on what they say.

Just now, uchiha101 said:

Yes, but you're only seeing and hearing what you want because you deem it important, I've handled money and cash registers before but again it will depend on what they say.

Any business owner that doesn't deem who they entrust with their cash register important isn't going to be in business very long.  Assuming this store has been in business a while, my guess is they're going to take the same approach.  

2 hours ago, ChiSoxFan said:

Any business owner that doesn't deem who they entrust with their cash register important isn't going to be in business very long.  Assuming this store has been in business a while, my guess is they're going to take the same approach.  

Yes but I wasn't talking business specifically, I have been hanging around the lcs since they first opened, I've been cosigning comics with them and what I believe also building my relationship with them so that should be worth something.

Edited by uchiha101

3 hours ago, DeadOne said:

If you want register experience, try this:
996800_Enlarged_1.jpg

(shrug)

Most comic shops I've been to use registers that are essentially glorified calculators.  Just get yourself some currency to practice making change and you've got yourself a perfectly fine at-home practice register.  It won't teach you the personal side of things, but if I were a young teenager with the ambition to do well at my first job and I knew I wasn't strong at math, I'd certainly do this.  Not a bad idea.

Again, this isn't advice.  Just stating facts and making observations.  If it wasn't clear in the last few posts relating to the register, the OP will only listen to advice that gels with what he already wants to do and actively fight anything else.  So I won't be giving any advice here. 

1 hour ago, uchiha101 said:
3 hours ago, DeadOne said:

If you want register experience, try this:
996800_Enlarged_1.jpg

(shrug)

You're joking right?

Not really.
I'm trying to figure out why being on the register is such a big deal to a "volunteer".

For what it's worth, I would never let a volunteer handle my businesses money or my customers personal information (in the case of a credit/bank card transaction). That would be a position for a paid employee, family, or a very close, personal friend. Why? Because anyone else would have no vested interest in my business.
Anyone "volunteering" at a comic store should expect to clean, load boards into bags, and move heavy things, all for the simple joy of being around the culture surrounding the LCS.

I think trying to volunteer is a good thing for you, but you need to be realistic in your expectations and exactly what you are trying to get out of your volunteering.

1 hour ago, uchiha101 said:

Yes but I wasn't talking business specifically, I have been hanging around the lcs since they first opened, I've been cosigning comics with them and what I believe also building my relationship with them so that should be worth something.

Okay, if it's "worth something", then why don't you go over there tomorrow and offer your services, such as they are, on an unpaid,  volunteer basis?  The worst they can say is no, in which case you will not be any worse off than you are right now. Also, other boardies have brought up the point about your digital footprint, which you obviously care nothing about.  Well, you better start caring about it, and I'll tell you why.  My sister in law is a regional sales manager for a very large pharmaceutical company, and her job requires her to hire (or not hire) a fair number of people on a regular basis.  I'm not going to name the company, but unless you've been living under a rock, I guarantee you've heard of it.  Before she hires anyone, her second step, after reading their resume, is to do an Internet search on them.  Sixty percent of the applicants whose resume lands on her desk are dropped from further consideration based solely on the Internet research she does on them, which a lot of the time is to simply Google their name and see what pops up.  Just last week, she was set to fly to California to interview an applicant whose qualifications were outstanding.  Guess what happened?  She Googled the applicants name and up popped their Facebook page.  After about ten minutes of reading some of the applicants posts on that page, my sister in law sent the applicant a note thanking them for their interest, but letting them know they were no longer being considered for the job.  That person lost out on a $130,000.00 a year job, with benefits most of us only dream of, all because of some comments they made on a social media site which called their character into question and convinced my sister in law that she did not want this person representing her company.  Hiring managers do this all the time, so you might want to give some thought to some of what you post on the Internet, or you will likely be living at home with your parents forever.

8 hours ago, uchiha101 said:

That's your opinion and I already said that I'll be asking them.

As I've always said, poverty has NOTHING to do with lack of money.

:facepalm:

Go ahead, ask them if you can have access to their cash register on day-one. What do they have to lose? (shrug) Do you even know HOW to operate their cash register? Maybe you should ask the owner to spend his time training you on it on your first day of "volunteering" also?

While you're at it, ask them where their highest-value comics are stored also.

Do they have a safe? Maybe you can ask them for the combination so you can go in and "clean" the inside of the safe for them - you know, as a "volunteer".  I'm serious. Ask them where they keep their grails.

Maybe you can ask the owner for the keys to his car and tell'em you're going to go get a car wash for him, you know, as a volunteer. You'll gain much more responsibility that way! And with responsibility comes trust!

Maybe he'll make you his partner after a few days of "volunteering".

Sounds like you are on the sure path to entrepreneurial success with this "go for the cash register first" approach! 

Edited by jcjames

10 hours ago, Turtle said:

Most comic shops I've been to use registers that are essentially glorified calculators.  Just get yourself some currency to practice making change and you've got yourself a perfectly fine at-home practice register.  It won't teach you the personal side of things, but if I were a young teenager with the ambition to do well at my first job and I knew I wasn't strong at math, I'd certainly do this.  Not a bad idea.

Again, this isn't advice.  Just stating facts and making observations.  If it wasn't clear in the last few posts relating to the register, the OP will only listen to advice that gels with what he already wants to do and actively fight anything else.  So I won't be giving any advice here. 

Well, I do have 6 calculators so I guess I can do that.

8 8