• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, uchiha101 said:

Then how come I see boardies charge higher then 10% over gpa and it's fine? Also it's cool that you're beside Keith 

I can't speak to everyone but it depends on the book.  Right now I would love to buy an AF15 CGC 3.5 at GPA.  Why cause GPA isn't correct as to where the market is.  GPA isn't the be all and end all answer...but if after a few ebay searches one can find that you are significantly over priced its not a good idea.  Do boardies do it?  Sure.  Have I done it?  Absolutely.  GPA isn't the answer.  It is a guide and if the guide isn't correct why would I follow it?  ASM 300 is super hot right now cause of the venom movie a CGC 9.6 90 day gpa is $511 at the moment, however most sales are closer to $550.  Why is GPA only at $511 then?  Because the movie bump happened within the last 90 days, so even though there are lots of sales one has to look at where the market is (which is closer to $550 than $511).

You mean Keith is beside me :baiting: 

Edited by Iceman399

2 hours ago, Iceman399 said:

I can't speak to everyone but it depends on the book.  Right now I would love to buy an AF15 CGC 3.5 at GPA.  Why cause GPA isn't correct as to where the market is.  GPA isn't the be all and end all answer...but if after a few ebay searches one can find that you are significantly over priced its not a good idea.  Do boardies do it?  Sure.  Have I done it?  Absolutely.  GPA isn't the answer.  It is a guide and if the guide isn't correct why would I follow it?  ASM 300 is super hot right now cause of the venom movie a CGC 9.6 90 day gpa is $511 at the moment, however most sales are closer to $550.  Why is GPA only at $511 then?  Because the movie bump happened within the last 90 days, so even though there are lots of sales one has to look at where the market is (which is closer to $550 than $511).

You mean Keith is beside me :baiting: 

Ah I see what you're doing and yes that's what I meant to say.

2 hours ago, 50AE_DE said:

Much more reasonable.

Thanks and when I get the comics I'll put the up and ask what the other boardies think since there aren't many fans of modern comics and variants :P

57 minutes ago, uchiha101 said:

Ah I see what you're doing and yes that's what I meant to say.

Also, it is not always about "maximizing" profit. Do you want to do that? Sure. 

But like all things in life, it is a balance.

In my (limited) experience you want to start with slowly building a good reputation.  From there establish a good customer base.  Offer competitive but fair prices.  Your customers or new customers (through previous experience or positive feedback) will be more willing to pay on the higher end of FMV  if the seller is trustworthy and fair and delivers good service.

Some low feedback seller offering a "hot" item at 250 X FMV is not the way to foster your 'brand'.

And sometimes a book will get a nice increase or blow up and you have to be able to roll with and adjust accordingly.  But you develop those skills over time.  Unless you get very lucky, there is no "get rich quick" route here or to "sell a million dollar comic".

Edited by Wall-Crawler

2 hours ago, uchiha101 said:

Then how come I see boardies charge higher then 10% over gpa and it's fine? Also it's cool that you're beside Keith 

Who says its fine?

Many books in the sales forum are way overpriced - and just sit there. People do not call them out in threads because it is not allowed.

Some sell - might be for a good reason or not - but really - you were going to set a price at more than 2x FMV to see what "offer" you were going to get. No comparison.

FYI - ebay has a way for you to auto-decline lowball offers.

2 hours ago, W16227 said:

Who says its fine?

Many books in the sales forum are way overpriced - and just sit there. People do not call them out in threads because it is not allowed.

Some sell - might be for a good reason or not - but really - you were going to set a price at more than 2x FMV to see what "offer" you were going to get. No comparison.

FYI - ebay has a way for you to auto-decline lowball offers.

I know but I don't like using auto decline because it turns people off more often then not and you can't call out overpriced comics?

1 hour ago, uchiha101 said:

I know but I don't like using auto decline because it turns people off more often then not and you can't call out overpriced comics?

This response makes no sense.

Why would you care about turning bidders off who make offers below what you consider to be even a reasonable offer?

"you can't call out overpriced comics" - What are you talking about? You're the seller selling the overpriced comics.

And as someone said previously, there's a difference between asking 10-20% above gpa and asking 100% above gpa.  The former can facilitate negotiation.  The latter encourages everyone to ignore you as not serious.

Also, there's a big difference between setting a high price on a rare golden age book with few comps and setting a high price on a common modern book with many similar books currently available for purchase.

With the golden age rare book the market can move more significantly due to lack of supply.  That's not the case with modern books that are plentiful.

2 hours ago, Red84 said:

This response makes no sense.

Why would you care about turning bidders off who make offers below what you consider to be even a reasonable offer?

"you can't call out overpriced comics" - What are you talking about? You're the seller selling the overpriced comics.

And as someone said previously, there's a difference between asking 10-20% above gpa and asking 100% above gpa.  The former can facilitate negotiation.  The latter encourages everyone to ignore you as not serious.

My grammar still needs work, and I was saying that in response to boardies selling their own comics. I see

8 hours ago, uchiha101 said:

My grammar still needs work, and I was saying that in response to boardies selling their own comics. I see

It is against the rules of the boards to threadkrap in a sales thread.  This includes bashing pricing.  Many general comment threads have sprung up in other board areas discussing this. The reality of the boards, is the overpriced books sit.  Same as eBay. Sellers that consistently overprice things do not get as many looks as those who price better. Same as eBay. Sometimes things sell here for more than one might think they should, same as eBay.  The very best sellers have a good overall feel for pricing strategies and will have a lot of sales. 

I've been out of this thread (but still monitoring) since sometime in 2016 and I haven't posted in it since until now. 

My money is still on "Gabe is messing with us".  Seriously.  Go to any point in this thread.  Any point at all.  The advice doesn't vary much.  The responses don't vary much.  He's gotta be messing with us. 

People are STILL participating in this thread? Talk about schadenfreude...

11 hours ago, W16227 said:

It is against the rules of the boards to threadkrap in a sales thread.  This includes bashing pricing.  Many general comment threads have sprung up in other board areas discussing this. The reality of the boards, is the overpriced books sit.  Same as eBay. Sellers that consistently overprice things do not get as many looks as those who price better. Same as eBay. Sometimes things sell here for more than one might think they should, same as eBay.  The very best sellers have a good overall feel for pricing strategies and will have a lot of sales. 

That makes sense thanks

10 hours ago, Turtle said:

I've been out of this thread (but still monitoring) since sometime in 2016 and I haven't posted in it since until now. 

My money is still on "Gabe is messing with us".  Seriously.  Go to any point in this thread.  Any point at all.  The advice doesn't vary much.  The responses don't vary much.  He's gotta be messing with us. 

I'm not messing with anyone 

8 8