• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, uchiha101 said:

Thoughts

I'm considering volunteering at my lcs, I would get experience with a cash register, customer service and I would enjoy volunteering there.

That sounds great Gabe, but you should probably focus on getting more paid hours at work before volunteering your time to a pursuit that hasn't worked out very well to this point.

10 hours ago, Foley said:

That sounds great Gabe, but you should probably focus on getting more paid hours at work before volunteering your time to a pursuit that hasn't worked out very well to this point.

I'm aware of that as well but I'm still interested in volunteering and it hasn't worked well because of my mistakes but one by one they're getting fixed. 

1 hour ago, uchiha101 said:

I'm aware of that as well but I'm still interested in volunteering and it hasn't worked well because of my mistakes but one by one they're getting fixed. 

Okay, Gabe, that's not a bad idea.  Instead of just thinking about it, why not go to your LCS tomorrow and volunteer your time and services, and let us know what they say?

4 hours ago, Batman1fan said:

Okay, Gabe, that's not a bad idea.  Instead of just thinking about it, why not go to your LCS tomorrow and volunteer your time and services, and let us know what they say?

You may not believe it but I get nervous when I talk to them about certain things especially when I deem it important 

3 hours ago, uchiha101 said:

You may not believe it but I get nervous when I talk to them about certain things especially when I deem it important 

That sounds like a bit of social anxiety Gabe, and it's normal for a lot of people. I get nervous in certain situations too, especially public speaking. It's something you can work on and get better at. I'm not sure if you're still seeing a psychologist or counsellor, but cognitive-behavioral therapy is very effective for this. The important thing is you have to actively practice what you learn on your own time.

Best of luck.

9 hours ago, Foley said:

That sounds like a bit of social anxiety Gabe, and it's normal for a lot of people. I get nervous in certain situations too, especially public speaking. It's something you can work on and get better at. I'm not sure if you're still seeing a psychologist or counsellor, but cognitive-behavioral therapy is very effective for this. The important thing is you have to actively practice what you learn on your own time.

Best of luck.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

On 5/14/2017 at 8:01 AM, uchiha101 said:

Thoughts

I'm considering volunteering at my lcs, I would get experience with a cash register, customer service and I would enjoy volunteering there.

While this is not a bad idea - make sure you have reasonable expectations going in. 

Cash register? - doubtful. Even if they know you well, this is not a reasonable position for a volunteer. Same with customer service. If a shop trusted you as being their face and handling cash ( and had a need for this from the store perspective) - this would be a paid job.

If they take you on, you will likely be performing grunt work. Sorting the cheap bins. Moving longboxes. Setting up bags and boards. Things the manager does not want to do themselves - and where free labor makes the most sense.

5 hours ago, W16227 said:

While this is not a bad idea - make sure you have reasonable expectations going in. 

Cash register? - doubtful. Even if they know you well, this is not a reasonable position for a volunteer. Same with customer service. If a shop trusted you as being their face and handling cash ( and had a need for this from the store perspective) - this would be a paid job.

If they take you on, you will likely be performing grunt work. Sorting the cheap bins. Moving longboxes. Setting up bags and boards. Things the manager does not want to do themselves - and where free labor makes the most sense.

I realize that and I've been watching what the other volunteers have been doing, using the cash register, bagging and boarding, pricing comics and re-arranging and organizing things. It doesn't hurt to ask as well what I'm expected to do.

17 minutes ago, uchiha101 said:

I realize that and I've been watching what the other volunteers have been doing, using the cash register, bagging and boarding, pricing comics and re-arranging and organizing things. It doesn't hurt to ask as well what I'm expected to do.

Wow - is getting volunteers that easy at a comic shop?

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Wow - is getting volunteers that easy at a comic shop?

I've seen it at more than a few places, usually from guys who are friends of the owners, or 'would-be' friends of the owners (the occasional weirdo who just loovees hanging out all day and the owners don't know how to get rid of them).  They'll sit there waiting for someone to play magic with or what not, or chatting about the newest Dr. Who, and in the meantime help sort books or put books in bags and boards, or help put books on shelves.  Usually not something too physical (for liability purposes), and not usually anything that involves going behind the counter or handling money.

I think compensation typically involves getting a discount on comics, or first opportunity to buy variants.

But I think the OP can benefit from this, at least watching interactions, watching people make some decisions, being responsible for things (even small tasks).  When you're starting at the bottom, moving in any direction is progress.  As some have noted though, this should absolutely not take the place of working for money or seeking an opportunity to work for money.  Additionally, if you have time to volunteer at comic store when you don't have a real job, you should probably consider doing some ACTUAL volunteer work, like helping out at a homeless shelter or planting some veggies in the community garden

1 hour ago, revat said:

planting some veggies in the community garden

I love this idea. Love it. (I do a variation of it myself, see my own journal and anyone with a garden can do it too!)

8 8