• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, DeadOne said:

Not really.
I'm trying to figure out why being on the register is such a big deal to a "volunteer".

For what it's worth, I would never let a volunteer handle my businesses money or my customers personal information (in the case of a credit/bank card transaction). That would be a position for a paid employee, family, or a very close, personal friend. Why? Because anyone else would have no vested interest in my business.
Anyone "volunteering" at a comic store should expect to clean, load boards into bags, and move heavy things, all for the simple joy of being around the culture surrounding the LCS.

I think trying to volunteer is a good thing for you, but you need to be realistic in your expectations and exactly what you are trying to get out of your volunteering.

So you want to know why I want the cash register so badly? I want it because I need the experience and it will get me the jobs that I want and also if it were really that easy to get that job I wouldn't even be talking about it.

9 hours ago, Batman1fan said:

Okay, if it's "worth something", then why don't you go over there tomorrow and offer your services, such as they are, on an unpaid,  volunteer basis?  The worst they can say is no, in which case you will not be any worse off than you are right now. Also, other boardies have brought up the point about your digital footprint, which you obviously care nothing about.  Well, you better start caring about it, and I'll tell you why.  My sister in law is a regional sales manager for a very large pharmaceutical company, and her job requires her to hire (or not hire) a fair number of people on a regular basis.  I'm not going to name the company, but unless you've been living under a rock, I guarantee you've heard of it.  Before she hires anyone, her second step, after reading their resume, is to do an Internet search on them.  Sixty percent of the applicants whose resume lands on her desk are dropped from further consideration based solely on the Internet research she does on them, which a lot of the time is to simply Google their name and see what pops up.  Just last week, she was set to fly to California to interview an applicant whose qualifications were outstanding.  Guess what happened?  She Googled the applicants name and up popped their Facebook page.  After about ten minutes of reading some of the applicants posts on that page, my sister in law sent the applicant a note thanking them for their interest, but letting them know they were no longer being considered for the job.  That person lost out on a $130,000.00 a year job, with benefits most of us only dream of, all because of some comments they made on a social media site which called their character into question and convinced my sister in law that she did not want this person representing her company.  Hiring managers do this all the time, so you might want to give some thought to some of what you post on the Internet, or you will likely be living at home with your parents forever.

I'm not worried about things like that because I'm not in a position where things like that will affect me. 

8 hours ago, jcjames said:

As I've always said, poverty has NOTHING to do with lack of money.

:facepalm:

Go ahead, ask them if you can have access to their cash register on day-one. What do they have to lose? (shrug) Do you even know HOW to operate their cash register? Maybe you should ask the owner to spend his time training you on it on your first day of "volunteering" also?

While you're at it, ask them where their highest-value comics are stored also.

Do they have a safe? Maybe you can ask them for the combination so you can go in and "clean" the inside of the safe for them - you know, as a "volunteer".  I'm serious. Ask them where they keep their grails.

Maybe you can ask the owner for the keys to his car and tell'em you're going to go get a car wash for him, you know, as a volunteer. You'll gain much more responsibility that way! And with responsibility comes trust!

Maybe he'll make you his partner after a few days of "volunteering".

Sounds like you are on the sure path to entrepreneurial success with this "go for the cash register first" approach! 

What is your problem? I'm not going to steal anything and they let me hold their higher end comics, I just look at them and give them back I have no intention of stealing it despite what you may think. Yes, I have worked a cash register before both an older one and a touch screen one and since that was a while back I would need to be retrained on it.

11 minutes ago, uchiha101 said:

I want it because I need the experience and it will get me the jobs that I want and also if it were really that easy to get that job I wouldn't even be talking about it.

You can always go to Staples and buy a register. It wouldn't be your worst investment.
Heck, I got one for my 4yr. old at Toys R Us.... and it's the pink variant  xD

41ntSrYTdDL.jpg

7 hours ago, Batman1fan said:

Okay, if it's "worth something", then why don't you go over there tomorrow and offer your services, such as they are, on an unpaid,  volunteer basis?  The worst they can say is no, in which case you will not be any worse off than you are right now. Also, other boardies have brought up the point about your digital footprint, which you obviously care nothing about.  Well, you better start caring about it, and I'll tell you why.  My sister in law is a regional sales manager for a very large pharmaceutical company, and her job requires her to hire (or not hire) a fair number of people on a regular basis.  I'm not going to name the company, but unless you've been living under a rock, I guarantee you've heard of it.  Before she hires anyone, her second step, after reading their resume, is to do an Internet search on them.  Sixty percent of the applicants whose resume lands on her desk are dropped from further consideration based solely on the Internet research she does on them, which a lot of the time is to simply Google their name and see what pops up.  Just last week, she was set to fly to California to interview an applicant whose qualifications were outstanding.  Guess what happened?  She Googled the applicants name and up popped their Facebook page.  After about ten minutes of reading some of the applicants posts on that page, my sister in law sent the applicant a note thanking them for their interest, but letting them know they were no longer being considered for the job.  That person lost out on a $130,000.00 a year job, with benefits most of us only dream of, all because of some comments they made on a social media site which called their character into question and convinced my sister in law that she did not want this person representing her company.  Hiring managers do this all the time, so you might want to give some thought to some of what you post on the Internet, or you will likely be living at home with your parents forever.

Realistically, Gabe is not applying for a job that requires a lot of experience or skill.  The bar is much lower for entry level team members.  Where I work, once a conditional offer is made, we can only contact the applicant's previous employers to verify employment.  State background checks are done electronically, and applicants are  required to pass a drug test.  We don't check on their internet posting history since the only two things that will disqualify the individual is a failed background check or drug test.  

Small business obviously operate differently but I would assume larger retailers have the same hiring processes as above.  Having to explain in court why you chose not hire an applicant due to their internet posting will be difficult to back up since the posting may not be objectionable to everyone, but failing to pass a state background check or drug testing is black or white.

2 minutes ago, 50AE_DE said:

Realistically, Gabe is not applying for a job that requires a lot of experience or skill.  The bar is much lower for entry level team members.  Where I work, once a conditional offer is made, we can only contact the applicant's previous employers to verify employment.  State background checks are done electronically, and applicants are  required to pass a drug test.  We don't check on their internet posting history since the only two things that will disqualify the individual is a failed background check or drug test.  

Small business obviously operate differently but I would assume larger retailers have the same hiring processes as above.  Having to explain in court why you chose not hire an applicant due to their internet posting will be difficult to back up since the posting may not be objectionable to everyone, but failing to pass a state background check or drug testing is black or white.

Why on Earth would you ever be in court for something like this?  I've never heard of someone applying for a job and then suing when they didn't get an interview.  (shrug)  Serious question. 

11 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Why on Earth would you ever be in court for something like this?  I've never heard of someone applying for a job and then suing when they didn't get an interview.  (shrug)  Serious question. 

Discrimination claim from the applicant saying they were denied employment due to their ethnicity.   

24 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Two years ago Target had to settle with the EEOC (they paid out about $3 million). They were using a set of application tests to screen out applicants and it was disproportionately screening out minorities and women. There are lots of instances of this kind of stuff happening sadly.

2 minutes ago, 50AE_DE said:

Discrimination claim from the applicant saying they were denied employment due to their ethnicity.   

WHAT?

Many people have been denied positions because of their online postings. A frivolous claim that they were being denied because of their ethnicity and not their idiotic posts is likely on thin ice.  Political candidates have been forced to pull out due to their previous online comments.  We are living in an age where more and more people are being vetted on social media.  

Look, let's bring it back to the purpose of this thread.  Trying to make money selling comics.

If some unknown (Gabe) is looking to consign AF #15's (another one of his stated 'fever dreams') or other comics for that matter or even just selling,  I think many reasonable people would do a basic internet search on this guy looking to deal in high end books.  If I am dealing with someone I have never dealt with before, I usually do a basic search or sometimes out of curiosity if I see a low feedback seller with some super awesome books, I do some sort of basic research/vetting. A five second search on his Facebook Page reveals he is "screwed" and having "money problems" along with a plethora of other questionable posts.

As a buyer and/or seller, would YOU want to deal with him based on what you can find online? It speaks to his "brand". His reputation. Trustworthiness. Professionalism.  

5 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

Two years ago Target had to settle with the EEOC (they paid out about $3 million). They were using a set of application tests to screen out applicants and it was disproportionately screening out minorities and women. There are lots of instances of this kind of stuff happening sadly.

Yes, but that was a legitimate systemic issue.  Different than what is being discussed. 

1 minute ago, jaybuck43 said:

I don't know enough about this to really question it, but it sounds a little more like a computer filtering problem and less of actual humans doing due diligence on candidates.  Of course, I'm no lawyer (and I think you are???), so I could certainly be wrong.

20 minutes ago, 50AE_DE said:

I see what you're saying...a by-product of our lawsuit-happy culture we live in these days. 

6 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

WHAT?

Many people have been denied positions because of their online postings. A frivolous claim that they were being denied because of their ethnicity and not their idiotic posts is likely on thin ice.  Political candidates have been forced to pull out due to their previous online comments.  We are living in an age where more and more people are being vetted on social media.  

This is exactly what I was getting at.

38 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

I agree that many people have been denied positions based on their online postings and even more have been terminated after their postings, whether past or present, were discovered to be inconsistent with the company's goals/vision but those are usually people in higher or sensitive positions.   The OP is applying for an entry level job.  Those types of jobs don't require much experience since it's mostly train as you go and is not a sensitive position.  I can't imagine a non-franchise McDonalds manager disqualifying an applicant because their online views and opinions are different from him/hers.  The applicant will most likely be flipping burgers so as long as they can pass a State background check/drug test then all should be good.  

36 minutes ago, 50AE_DE said:

I agree that many people have been denied positions based on their online postings and even more have been terminated after their postings, whether past or present, were discovered to be inconsistent with the company's goals/vision but those are usually people in higher or sensitive positions.   The OP is applying for an entry level job.  Those types of jobs don't require much experience since it's mostly train as you go and is not a sensitive position.  I can't imagine a non-franchise McDonalds manager disqualifying an applicant because their online views and opinions are different from him/hers.  The applicant will most likely be flipping burgers so as long as they can pass a State background check/drug test then all should be good.  

When I managed a restaurant, I didn't hire any employees that I intended on "sticking in the back"...that means random cooks, dishwashers, etc.  Of course, we had an open kitchen, so I required everyone to be presentable at all times.  I would encourage cooks to go out and follow up on how the people liked their dishes.  I would encourage dishwashers to smile and engage customers when bussing tables.  I hired entry level people all the time and I would often look over social media when they'd bring in an application.  People who posted positive things, words of encouragement to others, etc. would often get an interview.  People who's post histories are riddled with bashing others and putting people down, not so much. 

So I'd disagree.  All would not be good just because someone passed a drug test/background check.  To me, having a job, any job, is more than simply going through motions and doing a bare minimum.  Every worker contributes to a working environment.  When possible, I want that positive energy to be palpable. 

1 hour ago, 50AE_DE said:

Well, based on his "goals", roll this all back to selling comics, it DOES impact him...At least in my view...

2 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Let's bring it back to the purpose of this thread.  Trying to make money selling comics.

If some unknown (Gabe) is looking to consign AF #15's (another one of his stated 'fever dreams') or other comics for that matter or even just selling,  I think many reasonable people would do a basic internet search on this guy looking to deal in high end books.  If I am dealing with someone I have never dealt with before, I usually do a basic search or sometimes out of curiosity if I see a low feedback seller with some super awesome books, I do some sort of basic research/vetting. A five second search on his Facebook Page reveals he is "screwed" and having "money problems" along with a plethora of other questionable posts.

As a buyer and/or seller, would YOU want to deal with him based on what you can find online? It speaks to his "brand". His reputation. Trustworthiness. Professionalism.

2c

1 minute ago, Iceman399 said:

Man I really can't wait to hear what happens when you talk to Keith

Can you get Keith's side of the conversation and PM us with it???

8 8