• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 6/14/2022 at 9:00 PM, Gaard said:
On 6/14/2022 at 1:29 PM, CGC Mike said:

t will take time but, the QC manager and I have been working hard to fix the problems we have been seeing.

Why?

I'm not going into too much detail but, it takes some time to implement procedural changes within a company.  In some cases, new equipment is needed.  For example, some equipment was ordered a few weeks ago to help prevent scratches on the slabs. For some things, I believe QC improvement will be measured in weeks.  

On 6/14/2022 at 8:22 PM, Gaard said:

I'd probably be very difficult to work for. I'd show all these pics (wrong labels, upside down books, etc) to the QC people and simply say, "Do your job". Yeah, I know, that's too much to expect from a person.

Lol 😂 job descriptions can be vague but I understand where you're coming from haha JS sometimes understanding the job is as important as implementation.

I can't imagine some of these errors were done by someone who "should just know better" 😂

I feel the frustration. I hope it works out for whomever. Glad the squeaky wheels are getting greased to say the least!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I'm just excited that economy tier had signs of life, as it too has been just as aggressively sought after same as qc.

It isn't ok that it has gone on so long either, although it's just nice to see the sunshine however brief.

Even if it's me holding my own flashlight  :wishluck:

The good news: 20 out of 25 modern Star Wars books in my last shipment made the 9.8 pre-screen. 

The bad news: 8 of the 20 that make it had newton rings, and another one had a plastic shard trapped between the book and the front of the case. So 9 out of 20 should have failed quality control. Looks like I will be on the horn with customer service again to get this fixed. 

On 6/15/2022 at 10:44 AM, Stefan_W said:

The good news: 20 out of 25 modern Star Wars books in my last shipment made the 9.8 pre-screen. 

The bad news: 8 of the 20 that make it had newton rings, and another one had a plastic shard trapped between the book and the front of the case. So 9 out of 20 should have failed quality control. Looks like I will be on the horn with customer service again to get this fixed. 

That sucks......:facepalm:

28A4C5BA-20EC-4DAE-B82F-2F49BE65F027.gif

On 6/14/2022 at 6:05 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

... the new qc coordinator cgc hired ...

Yeah, no.  (tsk)  If you reread CGC's announcement of May 25th, you'll see that the new Quality Assurance Manager (Michael Saucerman) was actually hired by CCG (Certified Collectibles Group), the parent company of CGC.  I certainly don't know anything about the terms of his employment contract, but I imagine he has oversight responsibilities for each of CCG's eight subsidiary companies .  As you can see, CGC is only one of those eight subsidiaries.

CCG.thumb.png.455f0d5a47956a9c38d6ebdf56ca3392.png

I'm confident Mike will correct me if anything I've said above is incorrect.  :hi:

Edited by zzutak

On 6/15/2022 at 11:55 AM, zzutak said:

Yeah, no.  (tsk)  If you reread CGC's announcement of May 25th, you'll see that the new Quality Assurance Manager (Michael Saucerman) was actually hired by CCG (Certified Collectibles Group), the parent company of CGC.  I certainly don't know anything about the terms of his employment contract, but I imagine that, he has oversight responsibilities for each of CCG's eight subsidiary companies .  As you can see, CGC is only one of those eight subsidiaries.

I'm confident Mike will correct me if anything I've said above is incorrect.  :hi:

I wasn't aware there was that much issue with the other "7", but makes sense.

I'm not aware of anything either ...... which leads me to wonder why one of the top CCG Executives hasn't just phoned CGC and told them to, "Just do what the coin guys are doing!"  If every certified collectible has a label, why is it so hard for only the comic book guys to get it right?  (shrug)

Here's an NGC-certified coin.  The coin can be placed in the holder upside-down or backwards, just like with a comic.  There are different certification labels, just like with a comic.  The label can be switched with other coins in the order, just like with a comic.  The label information can be incorrect, just like with a comic.

Coin-1.jpg.c1dbab93053b52020cc250466382348b.jpg

If CCG's subsidiaries (like NGC) are not having encapsulation and label-related QC problems, perhaps it's time for CCG to tell CGC to adopt these tried-and-true policies and procedures.  Why reinvent the wheel?  (shrug)

Edited by zzutak

• Administrator
On 6/15/2022 at 12:55 PM, zzutak said:

Yeah, no.  (tsk)  If you reread CGC's announcement of May 25th, you'll see that the new Quality Assurance Manager (Michael Saucerman) was actually hired by CCG (Certified Collectibles Group), the parent company of CGC.  I certainly don't know anything about the terms of his employment contract, but I imagine he has oversight responsibilities for each of CCG's eight subsidiary companies .  As you can see, CGC is only one of those eight subsidiaries.

You are correct.  He has been working hard as well.  I get e-mails from him on weekends and have received several between 7:00 and 7:30 AM.

• Administrator
On 6/14/2022 at 8:28 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Is restored, should be yellow/purple label. 

191966224_10225499611619969_6072457543746121905_n.thumb.jpg.923f013d7aa12d3d4b3fc8579ebeb39d.jpg

I have just been told this:

We fixed this problem in 2021 with a grading screen programming issue.

This book was graded in 2017 before the fix.  

• Administrator
On 6/15/2022 at 1:08 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Does he work on-site? 

I believe he does the majority of the time.  I know he has regular, in person meetings with the CGC comic employees.  

On 6/15/2022 at 12:44 PM, Stefan_W said:

Customer service was awesome to deal with. I just sent the pics, and hopefully they will re-slab all of the books rather than a selection of them. 

On 6/15/2022 at 12:05 PM, zzutak said:

I'm not aware of anything either ...... which leads me to wonder why one of the top CCG Executives hasn't just phoned CGC and told them to, "Just do what the coin guys are doing!"  If every certified collectible has a label, why is it so hard for only the comic book guys to get it right?  (shrug)

Here's an NGC-certified coin.  The coin can be placed in the holder upside-down or backwards, just like with a comic.  There are different certification labels, just like with a comic.  The label can be switched with other coins in the order, just like with a comic.  The label information can be incorrect, just like with a comic.

Coin-1.jpg.c1dbab93053b52020cc250466382348b.jpg

If CCG's subsidiaries (like NGC) are not having encapsulation and label-related QC problems, perhaps it's time for CCG to tell CGC to adopt these tried-and-true policies and procedures.  Why reinvent the wheel?  (shrug)

I'm curious how many coins are submitted for grading compared to comics.  It's easier to have effective quality control if the volume is 10 units per day as opposed to 500 units a day.