• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,172 posts in this topic

I mean this really sucks but is easily rectifiable I mean like no missing books and I haven’t heard of any grades real far off from the groups I’m in on Facebook and other places that’s why I was aging like are there many issues all over the place or just like labels etc. 

On 9/11/2022 at 7:45 PM, TomDehnert said:

I mean this really sucks but is easily rectifiable I mean like no missing books and I haven’t heard of any grades real far off from the groups I’m in on Facebook and other places that’s why I was aging like are there many issues all over the place or just like labels etc. 

There have been rumors of something like maybe a stain or a color breaking crease from reputable people, being added to books while at cgc

I myself have experienced rings still on 1 on pre 75 book and then 2 times on moderns, out of about 125 books sent since July last year.

Umm those may be enough for you. On the plus side they have "hired a new qc manager that is keeping track of this thread, to whom a report is being sent each week by @CGC Mike " and the hope is to educate and minimize these mishaps. Cgc continues to approve mechanical errors at no cost to the consumer for correction, but has advertised or spoken about it more and to correct more than "rings"

Not sure how long you were away but this also may be news

Screenshot_20220911-200226.png

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Appreciate you filling me in it’s been several years. I kept collecting but not grading. My problem has always been that I don’t like to sell stuff so I buy a ton until I’m forced to sell in order to upgrade books. But needless to say I was unaware of some of these things happening. To be honest up not sure what your even talking about when you say “rings” apologies for my ignorance but I still think cgc is better than the other options. 

On 9/11/2022 at 8:01 PM, TomDehnert said:

Appreciate you filling me in it’s been several years. I kept collecting but not grading. My problem has always been that I don’t like to sell stuff so I buy a ton until I’m forced to sell in order to upgrade books. But needless to say I was unaware of some of these things happening. To be honest up not sure what your even talking about when you say “rings” apologies for my ignorance but I still think cgc is better than the other options. 

Basically 

It is still a work in progress with most fundamentals running as they should. Their volume went up and their margin of error did too, assuming due to volume. Prices went up, because they hired new people and expanded the facilities, so we're in the training ground phase 

Or something like that 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 9/11/2022 at 8:06 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Basically 

It is still a work in progress with most fundamentals running as they should. Their volume went up and their margin of error did too, assuming due to volume. Prices went up, because they hired new people and expanded the facilities, so we're in the training ground phase 

Or something like that 

Appreciate you filling me in. With that said is it a better idea to wait until things settle down or is this the new normal. 

On 9/11/2022 at 8:09 PM, TomDehnert said:

Appreciate you filling me in. With that said is it a better idea to wait until things settle down or is this the new normal. 

It's for the foreseeable future. Like you when it "started" I thought like you, and I don’t want this to be taken the wrong way; as is, they are currently active in correcting mistakes, so I thought do it while I could. When prices went up cgc added a grace period for the then current members, creating a backlog, that is currently only affecting economy slow but by a year TAT.

That said, I remain hopeful, as I've had limited needed corrections with the last of my stragglers. In other words I sent in a lot more than normal during the price grace period. That's the past, the now is not per se better nor worse, just the amount of books have greatly increased in volume therefore the errors too. (Seemingly mostly labels up until these posts)

On 9/11/2022 at 7:54 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

There have been rumors of something like maybe a stain or a color breaking crease from reputable people, being added to books while at cgc

I myself have experienced rings still on 1 on pre 75 book and then 2 times on moderns, out of about 125 books sent since July last year.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

The shake comic syndrome has seldom been mentioned, but it has, so that's worth pointing out too.

Like encapsulation had hiccups upon new workers that have put golden age in magazine holders, all that was trying to fix the issues before that of, books being harmed in encapsulation that pressing could not correct.

@TomDehnert

On 9/11/2022 at 9:09 PM, TomDehnert said:

There's no reason to think there will be any "settling down".  It's not like anything has changed at the company that caused a disruption.  New owner, but they're just an investment group.  It's not like they're watching over QC.  Their concern is profit, not operations.

As for the Newton rings you were shown, it's not a new normal.  They've been there forever. It's an easy fix but they choose not to.  They'd rather just reholder for those who bother to return them.

On 9/13/2022 at 9:55 AM, DR.X said:

Something is seriously wrong in Denmark here. Who is training these people to be graders?

CGC is going to go the way of the dodo bird if they don’t right their ship ASAP

What’s the point of encapsulation if you can’t trust the grade on the label at all?

On 9/13/2022 at 12:23 PM, The Meta said:

Hard to be sure, but it is consistent with SCS

Either a processing or shipping issue

Wow, can SCS really be that bad?!  :whatthe:  (I always thought that it was mostly limited to staple tears from the covers shifting within the slab, but I haven't really looked into it too much.)

On 9/13/2022 at 10:37 AM, Gonzimodo said:

Wow, can SCS really be that bad?!  :whatthe:  (I always thought that it was mostly limited to staple tears from the covers shifting within the slab, but I haven't really looked into it too much.)

The way the corner crunched and further down, bent outward, suggests it could have slipped against the mylar in that fashion.

Maybe there is staple damage and the poster didnt see it

On 9/13/2022 at 11:37 AM, Gonzimodo said:

I have books were the bottom edge of the book is smashed into the shape of the mylar. I should dig one up and post it.

On 9/13/2022 at 12:37 PM, Gonzimodo said:

Seriously doubt it is SCS due to the fact everything lays flat.