• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

On 10/24/2022 at 7:20 PM, Jkelly said:

Matt supposedly supervised an entire re-casing of my books to verify there were no newton rings and then when I received them back - a few still had the rings. His theory is that the weather/heat is causing expansion because he swears the rings were gone when he supervised

In other words, don't put Matt in charge of QC.

Newton rings don't have to be an issue.  They don't even have to exist.  It's been proven.  We've all seen it.  But CGC still chooses to use this cheap, flimsy plastic and hope that people don't care enough to send them back.

And Nelson overseeing the encapsulation process of a customer's books.  Okay.....

On 10/24/2022 at 7:20 PM, Jkelly said:

image0 (1).jpeg

image1.jpeg

ffs...

Does that hole go all the way through?

I would have to assume this went through screening and grading before the hole was added.  Either that or this is the most inept company on the planet.  It's one or the other.

I guess it's very possible they'd be allowed to smoke in the same area they grade paper collectibles.... but that's not a burn.  The edges would be brown and those tiny threads of paper sticking out into the hole wouldn't still be there. 

Something punctured the book. At CGC.

Screenshot_20221025-064543_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e23fff60a652c5b1d5ab91a6eefd45ab.jpg

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 10/25/2022 at 6:02 AM, Sigur Ros said:

I guess it's very possible they'd be allowed to smoke in the same area they grade paper collectibles.... but that's not a burn.  The edges would be brown and those tiny threads of paper sticking out into the hole wouldn't still be there. 

Something punctured the book. At CGC.

No one should be allowed to smoke anywhere in that building, especially near these books. That sure looks like a burn to me of some sort, as if someone could have had the cover open looking at the interior and something dropped on it. If not a burn, something sure ate a hole through it.

Heads need to roll somewhere. This is turning into a joke, and nothing seems to be getting solved in QC. Really sad this is happening over and over, and the list of issues keeps getting deeper.

Edited by DR.X

That looks more like a piece of hot plastic fell on the book and someone pulled it off

This is employees damaging books and either

1) Not caring

2) Trying to hide it

Take a wild guess here, but seems to me nobody, or the same somebodies, are packaging the books for shipping, as they are encapsulating.

Fact is, nobody is looking hard at these books, post capsulation.

On 10/25/2022 at 8:48 AM, MetalPSI said:

That looks more like a piece of hot plastic fell on the book and someone pulled it off

Yeah, could be high heat.  I don't think it was flame for the reasons I stated, but zooming in it could definitely be that something hot fell and melted through.

At least the OP had made Mike and Matt aware of this issue. That should ensure It's dealt with as swiftly as possible. I'd be furious if that happened to one of my books, especially after all the other problems he's been having. 

What a terrible customer experience. 

On 10/25/2022 at 8:36 AM, DR.X said:

No one should be allowed to smoke anywhere in that building, especially near these books. That sure looks like a burn to me of some sort, as if someone could have had the cover open looking at the interior and something dropped on it. If not a burn, something sure ate a hole through it.

Heads need to roll somewhere. This is turning into a joke, and nothing seems to be getting solved in QC. Really sad this is happening over and over, and the list of issues keeps getting deeper.

Grading / Encapsulation / Imaging

Collectibles are authenticated, graded and encapsulated. Once encapsulated, they are re-examined to verify that the grade and accompanying description is correct. The holder is also checked for defects such as scuffs or nicks.

After grading and encapsulation, collectibles are imaged.

Quality Control / Finalized

Collectibles are inspected and approved in Quality Control before being carefully packaged to return to the submitter.

Shipped

Collectibles have been certified, imaged, inspected and approved in Quality Control, carefully packaged and are being shipped back to the submitter. Grades are now available for viewing online.

giphy.gif

On 10/25/2022 at 7:25 AM, skypinkblu said:

There was always an issue with inconsistent grading, loose periods, tight periods, that "grading guide" should help and it should help with training...but getting people to follow it, is going to take a while.

This

Course, you have an experienced opinion on this stuff

The camera angle is something I never gave any consideration to.

Would that be something that is necessary though? What if the issue is with management?

On 10/25/2022 at 9:28 AM, MetalPSI said:

This

Course, you have an experienced opinion on this stuff

The camera angle is something I never gave any consideration to.

Would that be something that is necessary though? What if the issue is with management?

Personally I would not like working somewhere where there are cameras, but if they really can't figure out these constant problems, it might be a temporary solution. The cameras are not so expensive anymore, most of us have at least one on our door.

I believe that the many recent examples of comics with wear typically found at the 8.5 and lower level being encapsulated with 9.6 or even higher labels are not instances of bad grading, but of improper labeling during encapsulation.  Whether there are additional shenanigans going on at that stage or these are simply honest mistakes remains an open question in my mind.

What I find so astonishing is the number of submissions continues to be very high even in the face of untenable turnaround times, inconsistent grading, and poor quality controls.

Edited by namisgr

On 10/25/2022 at 7:32 AM, skypinkblu said:

Personally I would not like working somewhere where there are cameras, but if they really can't figure out these constant problems, it might be a temporary solution. The cameras are not so expensive anymore, most of us have at least one on our door.

I am fortunate to have the ability to choose not to work at a place that would have cameras

I just can't justify it for a comic encapsulation business

Banks, and areas of intense danger, that I can understand 

On 10/25/2022 at 7:33 AM, namisgr said:

I believe that the many recent examples of comics with wear typically found at the 8.5 and lower level being encapsulated with 9.6 or even higher labels are not instances of bad grading, but of improper labeling during encapsulation.  Whether there are additional shenanigans going on at that stage remains an open question in my mind.

This is why I've stopped sending in, a big change in the way things were done has occurred and until the same level of quality returns, I simply cannot send books in without anxiety 

On 10/25/2022 at 9:33 AM, namisgr said:

I believe that the many recent examples of comics with wear typically found at the 8.5 and lower level being encapsulated with 9.6 or even higher labels are not instances of bad grading, but of improper labeling during encapsulation.  Whether there are additional shenanigans going on at that stage remains an open question in my mind.

I wasn't talking about just cameras at grading, I meant at every stage, including opening the books.

I oversaw quality control where I worked for a number of years, but it was different, every case was assigned a number and every examiner had to either sign the folder (before everything was computerized) or there was a computer signature. I could read and look through every step.

If they generated the CGC number before they printed the label and then just tweaked it to add the grade (fairly easy since they don't write notes on it) before printing the label, it might be easier to backtrack, but I doubt they are going to do that stuff...it's not a government agency...so cameras might help. If nothing else for training purposes.

I don't know, but that burn is pretty disturbing, no matter how it was caused.

On 10/25/2022 at 7:32 AM, skypinkblu said:

Cameras aren't expensive, but paying someone to scroll through hours of footage is.