• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,157 posts in this topic

On 10/25/2022 at 9:32 AM, skypinkblu said:

Personally I would not like working somewhere where there are cameras, but if they really can't figure out these constant problems, it might be a temporary solution. The cameras are not so expensive anymore, most of us have at least one on our door.

The bolded word is the problem.The fact that CGC refuses to fix these problems (and there are a lot of problems over there) leads me to believe they aren't going to be the "go to" guys for much longer. I just don't understand why they are steadfast on refusing to fix these issues. (shrug)

On 10/25/2022 at 9:38 AM, skypinkblu said:

I wasn't talking about just cameras at grading, I meant at every stage, including opening the books.

I oversaw quality control where I worked for a number of years, but it was different, every case was assigned a number and every examiner had to either sign the folder (before everything was computerized) or there was a computer signature. I could read and look through every step.

If they generated the CGC number before they printed the label and then just tweaked it to add the grade (fairly easy since they don't write notes on it) before printing the label, it might be easier to backtrack, but I doubt they are going to do that stuff...it's not a government agency...so cameras might help. If nothing else for training purposes.

I don't know, but that burn is pretty disturbing, no matter how it was caused.

Ironically, with ALL the "my books were damaged at CGC" stories, not once have I read where CGC looked at the cameras. To be honest (and a little cynical),  I think it's just a bunch of bullpucky that they have cameras.

cameras.jpg

I know the image is terrible, and the label may be hard to read, but it's supposed to be a Vengeance of Bane 1, 1st print. We didn't have a Vengeance of Bane 2 anywhere in the sub.......  Where are the graders even getting these "extra" books to slip in these subs?  Why aren't the books of a sub, staying with just the books of that sub?  

image0.jpeg

On 10/25/2022 at 5:04 PM, Monster's Lair Comics said:

I know the image is terrible, and the label may be hard to read, but it's supposed to be a Vengeance of Bane 1, 1st print. We didn't have a Vengeance of Bane 2 anywhere in the sub.......  Where are the graders even getting these "extra" books to slip in these subs?  Why aren't the books of a sub, staying with just the books of that sub?  

image0.jpeg

oh-my-pretend.gif.f2e122e8118c0d27e16c47834485b2dd.gif

On 10/28/2022 at 1:59 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

IMG_2882.JPEG

playboy.thumb.jpg.fabb0b68442d6009b28348b3cb1138e3.jpg

[sarcasm] Understandable. That piece is so small how could it possibly be noticed? [/sarcasm]

Seriously, theses shards have been an issue for years.

I see two possibilities...

- CGC knows where these shards are coming from (it's been YEARS, afterall) and simply chooses not to fix the problem.

or

- CGC can't figure out where they're coming from (after YEARS), which makes them a supremely inept company.

Let's say that, for some strange rea$on, CGC chooses not to fix the problem and is simply relying on QC to catch them as they come thru. In order for that stupid modus operandi to work, each slab needs to be inspected. How hard is it to look at each slab?

Some will say "Yeah, but they're extremely busy and doing tons of slabs." So what? If your business requires you to hire more QC personnel, then you hire them. (Oh yeah, there's that strange rea$on again).

"Yeah, but they have to be qualified." Excuse me? They have to look for errors on each slab.

We've been told it'll take time. First off ... why? Secondly, Michael Saucerman was hired in May. That's half a year ago. How much time is needed?

Obviously, this Playboy slab was not looked at. And this Playboy was not even close to being the only one. Each slab needs to be inspected. Why does CGC have so much difficulty understanding this? After all these examples, you'd think it'd be common sense. Oh wait, I keep forgetting about that strange rea$on - maybe they do understand and just don't care. But that simply isn't possible, is it?

I shipped my SS 9.4 Bruce Timm to CGC for the Paul Dini signing.
Just got it back.
The new label doesn't reference the previously witnessed Bruce Timm.
AND they even included the previous label back in this shipment.

Has this happened to anyone else?
If so, how did you handle it?

@CGC Mike
Help me out...
My submitted 9.4 SS Bruce Timm had Paul Dini added.
Unfortunately, CGC forgot to include the Bruce Timm data on the new label.
The best part is CGC returned the original label to me. /s obvs...
(please see below)

IMG_7684.jpg

Edited by troy.division

On 10/29/2022 at 12:23 PM, workingdog said:

Just saw this on eBay.  Then I saw the label.  Apparently spell checkers are not permitted in QC ...

Batman 128 Comic Mint Convention Edition - Illiterate.jpg

The last conention I went to, I was expecting comics, but I probably should have clued in that it was held in a tiny room on the 3rd floor

The sight of stuffed animals and vegetable oil makes me cringe to this day

• Administrator
On 10/29/2022 at 2:33 PM, troy.division said:

@CGC Mike
Help me out...
My submitted 9.4 SS Bruce Timm had Paul Dini added.
Unfortunately, CGC forgot to include the Bruce Timm data on the new label.
The best part is CGC returned the original label to me. /s obvs...
(please see below)

This will need to be sent back to us as a ME.  Before you do so, let me look into why the old label was sent to you and ask if you need to send that in as well.  Could you PM me the submission number?   Please include the pic and text you posted here, and I will send everything in and make sure it's done right and you end up with a 9.6 label and both sigs noted.  After I find out about the 9.4 label, I will give you instructions on how to do a ME (if you don't already know) and you may need to mark it  "att:" to a specific individual.  

Mike

Pennsylvania

In 1981, Steve Geppi was told about a collection near Lancaster, Pennsylvania by a broker named Birney. Birney took him to an elderly woman's home where stacks of Golden Age comics were piled throughout a room. There were about 1,000 comics in the collection, primarily from the 1941-1944 period, and contained mostly superhero comics from numerous publishers. The bulk of the books resided in personal collections for over a decade before they began appearing on the market. Their grades are among the highest of the pedigree collections and the books are easily identifiable by a cursive "P" penciled on the front covers.

On 10/30/2022 at 7:45 AM, BlowUpTheMoon🤡 said:

1293585684_Screenshot_20221030-0743542.thumb.png.8c804dcb560aab19f0ccfc4192159067.png

How could this be, indeed?  It's another in the long list of recent examples that indicate either CGC is encapsulating the wrong label with a bunch of books, or the high grade comic that was assigned that grade and label was switched out for an inferior copy at some point between the grading and the encapsulation step.

An answer to the root cause of these now frequent mistakes (there are over a dozen I've seen posted on the Boards in just the past couple of months) goes to the very integrity of the grading company, and deserves a response from CGC management.

@CGC Mike

Edited by namisgr