• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes - What a joke

163 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of buying a comic so I've asked the seller if he is ok to wait while I pull the grader notes to make an informed decision.

Spine stress lines break colour.

That's great.

A competitor which I shall not name, provides these free of charge... And then this is the level of detail.

¾" corner crease bottom left back cover does not break color

¼" tear right front cover

small chip/tears/creases top back cover

sunshadow right front cover

Instant and free.

The CGC ones cost me $10.

What the hell?? rantrant

Post your best grader notes that cost you money...

While I'm not the biggest fan of CGC notes and their cost, this is essentially not a fair comparison. Is it the same book graded by both companies? if not who's to say the first book's only defect is what is listed. :shrug:

I get that people want them to be free like before or more detailed but haven't we discussed this before.

If you aren't happy with the turn around times, the fees, the notes etc there seems to be a perfect alternative but yet people still want to complain about CGC.

I still have the book I was talking about, & if anyone wants to pay to have it graded by some other un-named company, I will gladly let them - for science, of course!

:)

-slym

A dealer once was selling me a 9.2 as a possible upgrade. Said if it didn't sell, he'd probably resubmit.

I bought it, but not to upgrade.

Called up CGC (when notes were free) and sure enough there was writing on a couple of interior pages.

Now if someone tells me a book has upgrade potential, I just ignore that line

I'm thinking of buying a comic so I've asked the seller if he is ok to wait while I pull the grader notes to make an informed decision.

That's great.

A competitor which I shall not name, provides these free of charge... And then this is the level of detail.

Instant and free.

What the hell?? rantrant

While I'm not the biggest fan of CGC notes and their cost, this is essentially not a fair comparison. Is it the same book graded by both companies? if not who's to say the first book's only defect is what is listed. :shrug:

I get that people want them to be free like before or more detailed but haven't we discussed this before.

If you aren't happy with the turn around times, the fees, the notes etc there seems to be a perfect alternative but yet people still want to complain about CGC.

I prefer CGC's cases to Brand X

The grades were not for the same book. However I looked up several books from 5's to 9's they all had detailed and specific information. I'm not talking about the holder but I do think CGC need to pull up their socks, but they won't as they still get paid for it.

I have never bought grader notes for my books. but I have always been tempted for this one.

Oh and if anyone has 10 bucks they want to toss away feel free to find out for me /wink

1o0lfc.jpg

A guy drinking from the same pool as his donkey? Of course, you have to downgrade for that! :D

The more time they spend jotting down notes, the less time they spend grading.

But I do agree that we should get more for our money. That leaves the CGC with two options:

1. Improve the detail of the notes for which we pay.

2. Stop charging for graders' notes.

But I do agree that we should get more for our money. That leaves the CGC with two options:

Option #3: Do nothing.

Here are some graders' notes I've gotten from CGC:

SA CGC 9.6:

Left Bottom Back Cover Small Chip Out

Modern CGC 9.2:

Interior Large Heavy Writing

Top Front Cover Small Bend

Right Bottom Front Cover Small Bend

Center Back Cover Fingerprints

Modern CGC 9.6:

While Book Small Lite Multiple Dent

Modern CGC 9.0:

Back Cover Multiple Scratches

BA CGC 9.2:

Right Bottom Front Cover Small Chip Out

Center Spine Small Bend

SA CGC 9.2:

Top Back Cover Small Tear

Modern CGC 9.4:

Left Top Back Cover Bend

I wish the notes were free too, but a couple of these saved me a fair bit of money, so :shrug:

That's great.

Instant and free.

What the hell?? rantrant

People complain because they want to believe in CGC and for CGC to do well as they paved the way for comic grading, but we also want to feel that they understand that customers have some legitimate complaints that shouldn't go ignored. This is why people are jumping ship...

Option #3: Do nothing.

If they stopped doing notes would books be on time :baiting:

what a wide range of detail on these grader notes -- it is as if all graders are self trained or lack standards as far as language or level of details.

Some of them read like a freaking haiku:

Interior Large Heavy Writing

Top Front Cover Small Bend

Right Bottom Front Cover Small Bend

Center Back Cover Fingerprints

drink with arse = five oh

Center Back Cover Fingerprints (oh no!)

Grader notes ten bucks (you blow)

it is as if all graders are self trained or lack standards as far as language or level of details.

The notes were never meant by CGC to be all inclusive or exhaustive. They were meant for graders to pass notes from each other to the next so that nothing that was crucial might be missed.

As people started to complain about their grades the notes came to be used to justify the grade of the book, often over the phone. But they still were not written down for customer consumption.

I'm guessing that by today, they're not even writing notes down any more and just use a pre made check list and check off the most appropriate notes, and those get recorded.

Again, not meant to account for every defect. Just to give a general idea of where the next grader should keep an eye out for.

People complain because they want to believe in CGC and for CGC to do well as they paved the way for comic grading, but we also want to feel that they understand that customers have some legitimate complaints that shouldn't go ignored. This is why people are jumping ship...

I understand but I sincerely doubt that anything written about it on their chat boards with a thread titled "Grader Notes - What a joke" will make them change their current operation. There are better ways of communicating this to them. This thread comes across more of "look at Y company and how much better it is than Z" propaganda thread.

I'd be curious of those "jumping ship" what the total % of $ that is to their bottom line. Furthermore, I'd be curious how many of those opted to go with the other company was because of free notes etc.