• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes - What a joke

163 posts in this topic

Didn't CGC originally offer free Grader's Notes? High grade Moderns has been my thing so I've never had to request Grader's notes. I seem to remember them getting slammed by people requesting notes on possible press and flip books (mostly GA/SA/BA).

Back in the old days yes....if I got back an order I could call and get any notes they had on a few books I had serious reservations about. This was free of charge. I suspect the time they spent to do this (always professionally and with courtesy I might add) prevented them from grading books.

Also, if you knew the serial number and was interested in purchasing you could get this information.

But flush all of that. That was before FDR's "New Deal" lol.

it is as if all graders are self trained or lack standards as far as language or level of details.

The notes were never meant by CGC to be all inclusive or exhaustive. They were meant for graders to pass notes from each other to the next so that nothing that was crucial might be missed.

As people started to complain about their grades the notes came to be used to justify the grade of the book, often over the phone. But they still were not written down for customer consumption.

I'm guessing that by today, they're not even writing notes down any more and just use a pre made check list and check off the most appropriate notes, and those get recorded.

Again, not meant to account for every defect. Just to give a general idea of where the next grader should keep an eye out for.

Understood...

However things change over time and when the competition is doing something that the paying customer desires then the original company can do one of two things. Ignore what it's paying customers ask for or continue on with their plan of action.

We want the notes. Despite whatever CGC meant for them to be, they are something different now. They are the notes that allow us to understand why a book is assessed at a certain grade. They are the notes that allow us to have a better look at the interiors of a sealed book that we cannot see unless we break the casing of the slab. It removes an element of doubt when determining whether or not a purchase should be made.

The baseball card industry never had to provide notes because all negative aspects holding a card from a grade could be seen due to all sides of the card being visible. This is not true with the comic.

Free notes...

I don't want to spend money every time I want to know why my book was graded the way it was. I paid to have it assessed. I want to know what is wrong with it. Otherwise we wonder why a book that received an 8.0 looks really like a 5.0. (See the other thread)... Or I am left wondering... why did my ASM 1 come back a 2.5 after I had it pressed by Matt and it removed some of the defects that earned it a 2.5 the last time.

The competition is offering free notes. I have to say... I have been checking them out. It makes me far more willing to buy books in their slabs when I can make a more educated decision.

Furthermore... it leads me to believe that others are willing to do the same, so I will start submitting books to them to be graded. Because at the end of the day... I will know what service I actually paid for.

Submitters should have access to the notes on their books. They want to charge 3rd parties, by all means that sounds fair. I should have access to the notes that I submitted.

Sure, only we are speaking towards two different points.

I'm trying to explain why the notes are the way they are, you're explaining the way you want them to be.

I agree that more detail, and not having to pay for it, would be best.

At this point I do not mind if they are as vague or non descript as they currently are. They should be free to those who submitted the books.

There is no rational reason other than a money grab that CGC shouldn't make available the notes they have, as they currently exist, free to the person who submitted the book.

Roy, a year ago, they could say, "If you don't like it, then go somewhere else."

They cannot say that anymore. And if anything, I am glad the boys in Franklin's Tower appear to have them ting in their oatmeal* because it will help act as a catalyst for progressive change for both companies. Franklin's Tower arrives and we see a few significant changes in CGC for the first time in awhile. Rollback of moderns, changes to purple labels and so on. What we really wanted was notes. The ball is in CGC's court. Let's see what happens.

*Because every time they nuke a thread that mentions Franklin's Tower and not PGX it conveys fear not protection of their brand

Really? I'd venture a guess and say that far more people care about the rollback of the modern tier to 1975 than whether the graders' notes are free or not. I personally would much rather have CGC focus on getting the turnaround times back on track ...

I would like them to revaluate the FMV on the tiers

it is as if all graders are self trained or lack standards as far as language or level of details.

The notes were never meant by CGC to be all inclusive or exhaustive. They were meant for graders to pass notes from each other to the next so that nothing that was crucial might be missed.

As people started to complain about their grades the notes came to be used to justify the grade of the book, often over the phone. But they still were not written down for customer consumption.

I'm guessing that by today, they're not even writing notes down any more and just use a pre made check list and check off the most appropriate notes, and those get recorded.

Again, not meant to account for every defect. Just to give a general idea of where the next grader should keep an eye out for.

Understood...

However things change over time and when the competition is doing something that the paying customer desires then the original company can do one of two things. Ignore what it's paying customers ask for or continue on with their plan of action.

We want the notes. Despite whatever CGC meant for them to be, they are something different now. They are the notes that allow us to understand why a book is assessed at a certain grade. They are the notes that allow us to have a better look at the interiors of a sealed book that we cannot see unless we break the casing of the slab. It removes an element of doubt when determining whether or not a purchase should be made.

The baseball card industry never had to provide notes because all negative aspects holding a card from a grade could be seen due to all sides of the card being visible. This is not true with the comic.

Free notes...

I don't want to spend money every time I want to know why my book was graded the way it was. I paid to have it assessed. I want to know what is wrong with it. Otherwise we wonder why a book that received an 8.0 looks really like a 5.0. (See the other thread)... Or I am left wondering... why did my ASM 1 come back a 2.5 after I had it pressed by Matt and it removed some of the defects that earned it a 2.5 the last time.

The competition is offering free notes. I have to say... I have been checking them out. It makes me far more willing to buy books in their slabs when I can make a more educated decision.

Furthermore... it leads me to believe that others are willing to do the same, so I will start submitting books to them to be graded. Because at the end of the day... I will know what service I actually paid for.

Submitters should have access to the notes on their books. They want to charge 3rd parties, by all means that sounds fair. I should have access to the notes that I submitted.

I'm trying to explain why the notes are the way they are, you're explaining the way you want them to be.

At this point I do not mind if they are as vague or non descript as they currently are. They should be free to those who submitted the books.

There is no rational reason other than a money grab that CGC shouldn't make available the notes they have, as they currently exist, free to the person who submitted the book.

Roy, a year ago, they could say, "If you don't like it, then go somewhere else."

They cannot say that anymore. And if anything, I am glad the boys in Franklin's Tower appear to have them ting in their oatmeal* because it will help act as a catalyst for progressive change for both companies. Franklin's Tower arrives and we see a few significant changes in CGC for the first time in awhile. Rollback of moderns, changes to purple labels and so on. What we really wanted was notes. The ball is in CGC's court. Let's see what happens.

*Because every time they nuke a thread that mentions Franklin's Tower and not PGX it conveys fear not protection of their brand

Really? I'd venture a guess and say that far more people care about the rollback of the modern tier to 1975 than whether the graders' notes are free or not. I personally would much rather have CGC focus on getting the turnaround times back on track :shrug:

I will easily concede turnaround times as the priority over notes. I should not have overlooked that. However, the tier for what was considered modern submissions was a set level where people simply accepted it even if they disagreed. Notes were once free. Charging for them led to an outcry that was not seen nor discussed in regards to discussions pertaining to the line drawn for what constitutes a modern book and what does not.

Didn't CGC originally offer free Grader's Notes? High grade Moderns has been my thing so I've never had to request Grader's notes. I seem to remember them getting slammed by people requesting notes on possible press and flip books (mostly GA/SA/BA).

Back in the old days yes....if I got back an order I could call and get any notes they had on a few books I had serious reservations about. This was free of charge. I suspect the time they spent to do this (always professionally and with courtesy I might add) prevented them from grading books.

Also, if you knew the serial number and was interested in purchasing you could get this information.

What's to say that the "other" company won't change policy on this as well as or if they grow?

What's to say that the "other" company won't change policy on this as well as or if they grow?

Which one? The one that cuts books and sells them in his holder as unrestored, or the one that puts dog hairs in the case because he does it in the basement? :juggle:

Which one? The one that cuts books and sells them in his holder as unrestored, or the one that puts dog hairs in the case because he does it in the basement? :juggle:

The boys in "Franklin's Tower"

one thing that these grading companies could do is offer some of these items as options when sending in a book. Individually or packaged -- but why not upsell?

I can think of several items that might be worth it as additional services:

- grading notes that explain how a grade was given

- a certified set of images of all pages of the interior of a book that the owner could use to read the book or show condition issues mentioned in notes without cracking a slab

- on line access features-- such as availability to these services to other users when granted by the owner. I can see dealers finding this quite useful for the higher dollar books.

of course-- these items I propose are well beyond simply providing the in house grading notes that are not always that useful. My thinking is that grading services should focus more attention on customer service and even monetize extreme levels of services (or more so than they do at this time).

and before people whine about current delay times getting even worse-- that might be another area that they need to address by expanding capacity regardless of these additional features.

I'm sure I'm not up to date on the latest slabbing drama...I am under the assumption that there still really isn't any valid competition. Refer me to threads if I am incorrect.

Understood...

Free notes...

Really? I'd venture a guess and say that far more people care about the rollback of the modern tier to 1975 than whether the graders' notes are free or not. I personally would much rather have CGC focus on getting the turnaround times back on track :shrug:

I will easily concede turnaround times as the priority over notes. I should not have overlooked that. However, the tier for what was considered modern submissions was a set level where people simply accepted it even if they disagreed. Notes were once free. Charging for them led to an outcry that was not seen nor discussed in regards to discussions pertaining to the line drawn for what constitutes a modern book and what does not.

Honestly - compared to the outcry here on the boards when the modern tier was pushed to 1980, the noise level on the graders' notes has been minimal (albeit persistent).

The truth is that outside of these boards nobody cares about the notes to any significant extent - they didn't care when you could get them for free (which, btw, was never acknowledged publicly by CGC), and they don't care now when you have to pay for them. It's just not the big deal that you're trying to make it out to be :shrug:

It's no secret that I work a fair number of shows for CGC as a CAW - the top 3 complaints I hear at every show are:

1) Turnaround times

2) Shipping prices (which is usually from people who don't understand why they paid $32 for USPS shipping and receive a box with a postage label stating $15 worth of postage, not realizing that the $15 is only the regular USPS priority mail cost and doesn't include the $12+ Registered Mail fee nor the cost of the USPS insurance).

3) Invoice fee

Graders' notes aren't even a blip on the radar.

I'm sure I'm not up to date on the latest slabbing drama...I am under the assumption that there still really isn't any valid competition. Refer me to threads if I am incorrect.

Seriously? You don't know what CGC's original head grader is doing now?

Sorry, no threads. :gossip:

Honestly - compared to the outcry here on the boards when the modern tier was pushed to 1980, the noise level on the graders' notes has been minimal (albeit persistent).

The truth is that outside of these boards nobody cares about the notes to any significant extent - they didn't care when you could get them for free (which, btw, was never acknowledged publicly by CGC), and they don't care now when you have to pay for them. It's just not the big deal that you're trying to make it out to be :shrug:

It's no secret that I work a fair number of shows for CGC as a CAW - the top 3 complaints I hear at every show are:

1) Turnaround times

2) Shipping prices (which is usually from people who don't understand why they paid $32 for USPS shipping and receive a box with a postage label stating $15 worth of postage, not realizing that the $15 is only the regular USPS priority mail cost and doesn't include the $12+ Registered Mail fee nor the cost of the USPS insurance).

3) Invoice fee

I would disagree with that. At my last two LCS, I was one of the few if not the only guy that submitted books to CGC. The major complaint was and is, how do you know what is going on inside the book? At this time CGC should be enticing those within the collecting community that do not subscribe to their services a reason to start. The Signature Series was the last time I saw some type of innovation to bring in people that would not normally have encapsulated their books to do so. Every now and then I bring in one of my Golden Age books to the LCS because he likes to check them out. A recent conversation with another customer asked about how CGC determined the grade assigned and how you can find out. His response was pretty rational. Why should you pay to have the book assessed and then pay again to find out how they arrived at the assessment. He immediately said "No thanks" to CGC.

Pushing the timeline of what is considered old and what is considered new is inevitable (in my opinion). Eventually even the books that are coming out next week will be considered "non-moderns." That is reasonable. It is unreasonable to charge for notes, as that is in my eyes, and many others, double charging for the same service.

And you lie. Your biggest complaints at shows are probably:

1 - "What do you mean you cannot accept this book? I waited in line all day! I swear to God that (insert comic talent) sketched / signed this book!!"

2 - "I cracked the book out that (insert comic talent) had signed last year myself so (insert comic talent) could sign it. What do you mean you cannot verify the book."

3 - "Turnaround time is what?" (Told you I agree with that)

Maybe CGC needs some computer help. Grader notes should be available when you look up a cert #, AND printed on the back of the label. It would cost them nothing.

+1

Making the grader's notes available online for free seems like it would be a simple one-time programming/website modification as CGC's "system" obviously has all grader's notes already captured electronically. Gouging...fees on top of fees for this, that, and the other and we have to wait months for our product to arrive.

1) Turnaround times

3) Invoice fee

I would disagree with that. At my last two LCS, I was one of the few if not the only guy that submitted books to CGC. The major complaint was and is, how do you know what is going on inside the book? At this time CGC should be enticing those within the collecting community that do not subscribe to their services a reason to start. The Signature Series was the last time I saw some type of innovation to bring in people that would not normally have encapsulated their books to do so. Every now and then I bring in one of my Golden Age books to the LCS because he likes to check them out. A recent conversation with another customer asked about how CGC determined the grade assigned and how you can find out. His response was pretty rational. Why should you pay to have the book assessed and then pay again to find out how they arrived at the assessment. He immediately said "No thanks" to CGC.

Pushing the timeline of what is considered old and what is considered new is inevitable (in my opinion). Eventually even the books that are coming out next week will be considered "non-moderns." That is reasonable. It is unreasonable to charge for notes, as that is in my eyes, and many others, double charging for the same service.

1 - "What do you mean you cannot accept this book? I waited in line all day! I swear to God that (insert comic talent) sketched / signed this book!!"

2 - "I cracked the book out that (insert comic talent) had signed last year myself so (insert comic talent) could sign it. What do you mean you cannot verify the book."

Pretty harsh.

So he gave you his notes for free and you don't trust them?

Understood...

Free notes...

The part I have bolded I completely agree with, and I'll tell you why.

I have a silver surfer #6 That I wanted to upgrade, I buy a raw one on Ebay only to find out it has a one inch spine split on the bottom that wasn't visible in the scans.

I hate spine splits, so I am back to searching for another upgrade.

I find a really nice looking CGC book that seems to be just what I want, I buy it, and when It arrives, I promptly crack it out like I do all my CGC books, and what do I find? A two inch MF'ing spine split from the top.

SON OF A B***H!!!!!

It would have been nice to know that was there before I bought it, as I would not have bought it if I had known.

I'd just prefer they not grade as harshly as they are at this moment....

:whistle:

Great time to be a buyer.

I was thinking the same thing. They are tight as heck again.

1) Turnaround times

3) Invoice fee

Pretty harsh.

So he gave you his notes for free and you don't trust them?

Reread the conversation - that is not what I said in the slightest. He was stating the three most heard comments when he works shows with CGC. I said he lies in a sarcastic tone as he mostly deals with signature series. That is why I said the comments that he must hear the most is along the lines of people who cannot get with the rules of the SS program.