• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grader Notes - What a joke

163 posts in this topic

What? CGC has been a little on the loose side for a while.

Might depend on the tier.

I've had a few come back in the same grade or lower and they weren't overgraded the first time.

Moderns are tight at CGC, have been for awhile but that's fine with me. I'm usually not surprised when a book fails 9.8 pre-screen. Marvels and IDWs are tough at the moment. Print run quality at Marvel varies from week to week.

From what I've seen so far the other company they are a bit loose on Moderns, especially with the uber higher grades. This is from firsthand experience, cases in hand. But that's just my opinion and what do I know, right?

I'm in even bigger disagreement here. They are giving gifts out like a drunk Santa Claus in moderns. The other company is actually not giving production defects a pass for moderns and handing out tighter grades.

I'd need to know about what production defects on moderns are given a pass before I could respond to that. I saw a 10.0 Marvel (new release, not thick stock or special cover stock) from the other company at a show this past summer that had a huge dent coming out from the spine just above the bottom staple that was a such a glaring defect... A lot of people looked at that book.

When it comes to Moderns I couldn't sub to that company anyway since their turnaround time on Modern Tier looks on par or just a bit worse than CGC's are right now. The only other option is the $35 fast pass option which is not cost effective and based on their volume handling issues they couldn't handle my submission volume on a regular basis anyway. No way they get a 500 - 1000 book submission out in two days if I threw it at them under that tier.

Are you saying CGC gives you preferential treatment based on the amount of books you submit?

Where in that does it say CGC gives me preferential treatment? lol I wait just as long for my books as the next guy. C'mon Joey.

Based on a two day turnaround at the 'other" company I can't see them getting 500 - 1000 books out the door in two days (their tier, not CGC).

Thanks for straightening that out. I may have read between the lines when there was no between the lines. Regarding the statement itself,I would have to respectfully disagree, I know they could if they had to.

But how would that impact everyone else in the queue? Is priority being made for pass right now? Is that why the other tiers have fallen behind?

I've had a few come back in the same grade or lower and they weren't overgraded the first time.

Moderns are tight at CGC, have been for awhile but that's fine with me. I'm usually not surprised when a book fails 9.8 pre-screen. Marvels and IDWs are tough at the moment. Print run quality at Marvel varies from week to week.

From what I've seen so far the other company they are a bit loose on Moderns, especially with the uber higher grades. This is from firsthand experience, cases in hand. But that's just my opinion and what do I know, right?

I'm in even bigger disagreement here. They are giving gifts out like a drunk Santa Claus in moderns. The other company is actually not giving production defects a pass for moderns and handing out tighter grades.

I'd need to know about what production defects on moderns are given a pass before I could respond to that. I saw a 10.0 Marvel (new release, not thick stock or special cover stock) from the other company at a show this past summer that had a huge dent coming out from the spine just above the bottom staple that was a such a glaring defect... A lot of people looked at that book.

When it comes to Moderns I couldn't sub to that company anyway since their turnaround time on Modern Tier looks on par or just a bit worse than CGC's are right now. The only other option is the $35 fast pass option which is not cost effective and based on their volume handling issues they couldn't handle my submission volume on a regular basis anyway. No way they get a 500 - 1000 book submission out in two days if I threw it at them under that tier.

Are you saying CGC gives you preferential treatment based on the amount of books you submit?

Where in that does it say CGC gives me preferential treatment? lol I wait just as long for my books as the next guy. C'mon Joey.

Based on a two day turnaround at the 'other" company I can't see them getting 500 - 1000 books out the door in two days (their tier, not CGC).

Thanks for straightening that out. I may have read between the lines when there was no between the lines. Regarding the statement itself,I would have to respectfully disagree, I know they could if they had to.

But how would that impact everyone else in the queue? Is priority being made for pass right now? Is that why the other tiers have fallen behind?

That I don't know. But how is it different with CGC. Every time a fast track order comes in it will get done before a regular submission that may have been there for months. It supersedes it, as it should.

If a company wanted to keep the playing field even they would not have a tier that would allow submitters to leap frog over others by paying more.

That I don't know. But how is it different with CGC. Every time a fast track order comes in it will get done before a regular submission that may have been there for months. It supersedes it, as it should.

If a company wanted to keep the playing field even they would not have a tier that would allow submitters to leap frog over others by paying more.

Yeah, I know, I'm just bored. I'm at My Mom's place visiting and she's got no Movie Channels. I've been reduced to watching Law & Order repeats or HGTV. What a life. lol - Do you have HBO? Maybe I should drive over to your place if you do. I could probably be there in just over an hour. lol

I had no idea turnaround times took a big dump over there until someone sent me a PM asking me what I thought. It seems very extreme 65 days or 2 days... Anyway, off my radar. Been busy.

I'm so bored... Need to get off the computer lol

Ramble Ramble

Yeah, I know, I'm just bored. I'm at My Mom's place visiting and she's got no Movie Channels. I've been reduced to watching Law & Order repeats or HGTV. What a life. lol - Do you have HBO? Maybe I should drive over to your place if you do. I could probably be there in just over an hour. lol

I had no idea turnaround times took a big dump over there until someone sent me a PM asking me what I thought. It seems very extreme 65 days or 2 days... Anyway, off my radar. Been busy.

I'm so bored... Need to get off the computer lol

Ramble Ramble

I don't have HBO :sorry:

Going to bed. 6:00 Am rolls around too quick.

I don't know

The last comment I read was someone mentioned that the other company was getting more business so as a result CGC was giving gift grades i.e. That 8.0 ASM

I replied that I couldnt understand why people come to those conclusions

I don't know

The last comment I read was someone mentioned that the other company was getting more business so as a result CGC was giving gift grades i.e. That 8.0 ASM

After the first dozen or so posts that thread had served its purpose.

I'm thinking of buying a comic so I've asked the seller if he is ok to wait while I pull the grader notes to make an informed decision.

Spine stress lines break colour.

That's great.

A competitor which I shall not name, provides these free of charge... And then this is the level of detail.

¾" corner crease bottom left back cover does not break color

¼" tear right front cover

small chip/tears/creases top back cover

sunshadow right front cover

Instant and free.

The CGC ones cost me $10.

What the hell?? rantrant

Post your best grader notes that cost you money...

It's Christmas time CGC

How about doing something nice for your customers and start giving us the notes free beginning 2015 :foryou:

quick question -- when someone submits a book through a pre-screening process prior to CGC-- do they have notes? is that something worth keeping with the book?

Not with CGC...well at least I have never tried to look up notes on a failed one...I don't have one near me else I would see but I doubt that CGC keeps notes on failed books.

*edit* I have no freaking idea if CGC does lol

I don't know

CGC is not giving gift grades to anyone other than who we normally see with unusually good grades for dinged books. So, everything seems normal.

When posts go poof, does it mean the issue doesn't exist? I missed whatever it was about and 90% of people posting here know what's going on even if it's not stated.

I don't know

CGC is not giving gift grades to anyone other than who we normally see with unusually good grades for dinged books. So, everything seems normal.

When posts go poof, does it mean the issue doesn't exist? I missed whatever it was about and 90% of people posting here know what's going on even if it's not stated.

Can you elaborate on that?