• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Force #2 - What am I missing here?

148 posts in this topic

I'm surprised it went as high as it did, but it's a pretty great Liefeld DP page. Probably the biggest Deadpool shot he did.

But I think the bigger thing here is simply that there are only about 20 early pieces of Deadpool art by his creator. Mcfarlane did between 40-60 pieces of Venom(depending on how you count Brock), and I'd think Deadpool is more popular than Venom these days.

But I think the bigger thing here is simply that there are only about 20 early pieces of Deadpool art by his creator. Mcfarlane did between 40-60 pieces of Venom(depending on how you count Brock), and I'd think Deadpool is more popular than Venom these days.

Hmmm. When you put it that way it makes sense. Uglyass art but if you've already sold yourself on Deadpool and Liefeld...there you go. Twenty pieces for all the world, just ain't much at all.

(PS - I'm so happy I'm not a slave to that sort of thinking though - uglyass art!)

I'm surprised it went as high as it did, but it's a pretty great Liefeld DP page. Probably the biggest Deadpool shot he did.

Wow! I didnt know the page count was that low.

And while this price is largely because of Deadpool, it is also indicitive that regardless of how the man draws feet, the market for his work is steadily maturing over the years.

Thanks for all the insight guys. It will be interesting to see how the value of a page like this holds up over time. Sounds to me this is about "art" vs "rarity" and I would probably not try to chase a page just because there are only 19 others like it. That's a concept I tried to get away from when I moved from collecting comic books to collecting original art. However, would I like to own Incredible Hulk 181 page 32 if I had the funds and opportunity? Absolutely!

I would dispute that there are only ~20 pieces of published Liefeld Deadpool art.

Maybe that accounts for his first few appearances (NM 98, X-Force 2, 11) but then there's Wolverine 154-155, Deadpool Corps, Deadpool 900, etc.

Still, the market for "vintage" Liefeld work (through the first few issues of Youngblood Strikefile) is entirely different from his later stuff (Marvel Captain America on...)

EDIT: Saw you were talking about "early" Deadpool art. OK then.

And while this price is largely because of Deadpool, it is also indicitive that regardless of how the man draws feet, the market for his work is steadily maturing over the years.

His art has certainly gained a foothold among collectors. It's clear Rob's contribution to the 90s won't just be a footnote.

:kidaround:

His art has certainly gained a foothold among collectors. It's clear Rob's contribution to the 90s won't just be a footnote.

:kidaround:

You are correct, despite the defeetist attitude his detractors take.

BTW, I'll admit to being the underbidder on this one. I wanted it. For Liefeld as much as Deadpool. I fondly remembered this page from my youth, it's a huge image, fun banter, and Liefeld at his peak. I also regretted missing this twice before on eBay. The last time years ago I think it sold for $500?

I think you have to split the early Liefeld from the later Liefeld. It's no different from Byrne or many of the other greats who returned to familiar characters years later. Fun stuff, but you want classic X-Men, not Hidden Years.

For anyone who's curious, below is a list of early Liefeld Deadpool art. There could be a few others out there, but it's a pretty small sample.

And if you actually look at the quality of the pages, not just wanting the back of his head or his arm, I think the XF2 page that just sold was probably the 6th-7th best piece he did, including covers.

Early Liefeld Deadpool:

New Mutants #98 Cover

New Mutants #98 Page 18

New Mutants #98 Page 19

New Mutants #98 Page 20

New Mutants #98 Page 22

New Mutants #98 Page 24

New Mutants #98 Page 25

New Mutants #98 Page 27

X-Force #1 Deadpool Card

X-Force #1 Cable Guide(mini-pinup back of book)

X-Force #2 Cover

X-Force #2 Page 1

X-Force #2 Page 2-3

X-Force #2 Page 4

X-Force #2 Page 6

X-Force #2 Page 8

X-Force #2 Page 9

X-Force #2 Page 10

X-Force #4 Page 13

X-Force #4 Page 18 (back of his head)

X-Force #11 Cover

If you're talking the market for his earlier work, I don't know either way as I haven't followed it. But his more recent stuff, say the new DC titles from the last couple years- I've seen covers from those books on ebay going for what seems like a low price (maybe around 500 bucks?).

I don't know if Rob's rep sells his stuff on ebay , but it seems like it's one guy with the bulk of it

I think it might be his friend Marat Mychaels selling his stuff still. Modest prices, but a flooding stream of the recent art. Very affordable. I've seen some covers for $300.

It's really the older stuff that's tougher to track down and prices have been moving higher on.

If you're talking the market for his earlier work, I don't know either way as I haven't followed it. But his more recent stuff, say the new DC titles from the last couple years- I've seen covers from those books on ebay going for what seems like a low price (maybe around 500 bucks?).

I don't know if Rob's rep sells his stuff on ebay , but it seems like it's one guy with the bulk of it

I think it might be his friend Marat Mychaels selling his stuff still. Modest prices, but a flooding stream of the recent art. Very affordable. I've seen some covers for $300.

It's really the older stuff that's tougher to track down and prices have been moving higher on.

So, you're saying Rob's art can only go toe-to-toe if it feetures Deadpool :kidaround: