• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Force #2 - What am I missing here?

148 posts in this topic

In this hobby, the people who hate the work are mostly a non-factor. Kirby, Ditko, Miller, Byrne, McFarlane, Wrightson... You name the artist, I can show you a bunch of collectors who are not impressed.

The only people who do matter are the people who ARE in the market, and it's clear that there are people interested in and spending money on Liefeld's work.

What do you think an interior page from New Mutants #98 would sell for, given what seems to be the fact he only appeared in about 1/3 of the book

New Mutants #98 Page 18

New Mutants #98 Page 19

New Mutants #98 Page 20

New Mutants #98 Page 22

New Mutants #98 Page 24

New Mutants #98 Page 25

New Mutants #98 Page 27

What do you think an interior page from New Mutants #98 would sell for, given what seems to be the fact he only appeared in about 1/3 of the book

New Mutants #98 Page 18

New Mutants #98 Page 19

New Mutants #98 Page 20

New Mutants #98 Page 22

New Mutants #98 Page 24

New Mutants #98 Page 25

New Mutants #98 Page 27

Given the last few that have popped up or come to market, I'd imagine $5k minimum and up from there into 5 figures.

I could see the first page fetching $20k+:

new-mutants-98-1st-deadpool-850x560.png

Im a buyer please offer any pages to NM 98

20k on one list above I'm in let me know where to send the check :)

I know in 2010 a page from New Mutants #98 sold for about $4,000 on eBay, it was Page #19.

I've not seen many or any of the pages on the market other than that one in the past decade.

Hmmm... Nice piece and a lot of great points made by everyone. I strongly believe that a lot of factors played a roll in the final price. I actually also feel that this piece undersold. Like mentioned already, not many early Deadpool piece exists. This was the time when Liefeld on top of his game. You also have to consider that not only is it an early DP piece, but it also is an early piece illustrated by DP's creator. I can go on but these points were made in the thread previously. With all that said, I wonder were this piece ended up. ;)

Hmmm... Nice piece and a lot of great points made by everyone. I strongly believe that a lot of factors played a roll in the final price. I actually also feel that this piece undersold. Like mentioned already, not many early Deadpool piece exists. This was the time when Liefeld on top of his game. You also have to consider that not only is it an early DP piece, but it also is an early piece illustrated by DP's creator. I can go on but these points were made in the thread previously. With all that said, I wonder were this piece ended up. ;)

I agree actually, taking an objective step back.

I grew up on the 1980's era of comics and appreciated stuff from the 1960's to 1980's with a bit of snobbery towards 1990's onward in always seeing that material as having less substance and being "new" (when in fact when I was collecting in the 80's, stuff in the 60's like the emergence of the 1st app of X-Men, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, Thor, Iron Man, Daredevil, etc was only 20 years aged), and if you look at it now, characters like Spawn, Deadpool, etc. are aged over 20 years since their debuts and are still standing and popular. So, I guess when you're older, what you liked tends to become "classics" and the newer stuff seems to be not as good as the older stuff, sort of like how most fans of music who are stuck in a certain genre and generation see things today.

So, in looking at Deadpool, he's very popular, just look at the Cosplayers at conventions and the books on comic racks, plus he's optioned for a future movie.

I think Rob Liefeld has a style, much like how many may pan Frank Miller, Jack Kirby and others who don't draw necessarily photo realistic. So, many people who grew up on Liefeld, love his work. I enjoy his work.

And you're right, to get an early appearance (as an option if the 1st appearance material isn't available) by the creator is a solid buy and good investment.

I doubt if Deadpool is going away anytime soon. I think many folks felt maybe the same way about Wolverine's popularity in the mid-80's and he's still standing (well, actually he's technically dead, awaiting Marvel's resurrection)

The demand is pretty high for quality Deadpool art, where the supply is scarce, so I can see pieces like this continue to rise.

I think Rob Liefeld has a style, much like how many may pan Frank Miller, Jack Kirby and others who don't draw necessarily photo realistic. So, many people who grew up on Liefeld, love his work. I enjoy his work.

The difference is that artists like Miller, Kirby (as you mentioned), as well as artists like Toth, Adams, Ditko, etc.. developed a style from knowing how to draw. They knew anatomy, perspective, and shadowing. Liefeld's style developed from him NOT knowing how to draw.

If you're a big Deadpool fan, then I can understand appreciating this page. Liefeld was the artist, so that's who you're stuck with I guess. But the price that these pages go for is a reflection of the character, and not the artist.

--Mark

The difference is that artists like Miller, Kirby (as you mentioned), as well as artists like Toth, Adams, Ditko, etc.. developed a style from knowing how to draw. They knew anatomy, perspective, and shadowing. Liefeld's style developed from him NOT knowing how to draw.

If you're a big Deadpool fan, then I can understand appreciating this page. Liefeld was the artist, so that's who you're stuck with I guess. But the price that these pages go for is a reflection of the character, and not the artist.

--Mark

All subjective. If many of those guys had select panels picked apart the way Liefeld's work has been, they wouldn't hold up so well either.

--Mark

All subjective. If many of those guys had select panels picked apart the way Liefeld's work has been, they wouldn't hold up so well either.

Agreed that its all subjective.

I'd like to think this group can show some restraint on ripping into Liefeld's. Picking on Liefeld's art has been done before and its really juvenile and boring.