• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peter Jackson won’t do a Marvel movie, says ‘the industry has lost its way

77 posts in this topic

http://www.hypable.com/2014/12/22/peter-jackson-says-no-to-marvel/

Speaking about why he wouldn’t direct a Marvel movie, The Hobbit director Peter Jackson explains that Hollywood has too many superheroes.

Peter Jackson has just come home from an epic second odyssey to the world of Middle-earth. He has completed six movies set in J.R.R. Tolkien’s world, and is no stranger to neither adaptations nor remakes (see King Kong).

Yet there is one prevalent Hollywood genre he will not touch: superheroes.

In a Moviefone interview, Jackson explains that, “The industry — and the advent of all the technology — has kind of lost its way. It’s become very franchise-driven and superhero-driven.”

Related: Watch: Peter Jackson receives his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame

Jackson may be on to something; technological prowess does sometimes come at the expense of good storytelling, and his own Hobbit films can be considered a casualty of the franchise-driven industry.

“I’ve never read a comic book in my life, so I’m immediately at a disadvantage and I have no interest in that,” Jackson adds.

And if you’re not a comic book reader, the coming years certainly look saturated with what, on the surface, seems like really similar movies.

We are looking at countless superhero adaptations including more Avengers, more Guardians of the Galaxy, new Fantastic Four, Batman v Superman, Doctor Strange, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and many more. If you haven’t read the comics, all of these kind of blend into one.

Jackson plans to return to New Zealand and immerse himself in a smaller project. We can imagine that he must really be looking forward to that after the intensity of Hollywood.

Hollywood will always follow a trend if it sells, so that point I don't get from him. I did notice he's never read a comic and has no interest in Superheroes, so I can see that as a good reason not to participate: make movies about characters & subjects that interest you, that's the artistic way.

Hollywood will always follow a trend if it sells, so that point I don't get from him. I did notice he's never read a comic and has no interest in Superheroes, so I can see that as a good reason not to participate: make movies about characters & subjects that interest you, that's the artistic way.

+1

I think it is because he has no interest in superheroes or comics more so than any of his other reasons.

He had no problem doing the billionth or so remake of King Kong because he had an emotional attachment to the story that made it easier for him to get behind.

I'm certainly in the minority, but I couldn't get into the Lord of the Rings movies...sat through 2 of them on an airplane, and was bored stiff.

I'm a huge King Kong fan, but even though he took everything from the original and in many ways improved upon it, the movie wasn't very good. I think the movie contained scenes that were too extended. A case of improved doesn't equal better.

For decades we barely had any superhero movies because the technology wasn't there to make them appropriately. Now we do, so we're making up for lost time.

Plenty of great directors out there to make all the movies we want, so no big loss if Jackson doesn't want to do one.

Peace,

Chip

We are looking at countless superhero adaptations including more Avengers, more Guardians of the Galaxy, new Fantastic Four, Batman v Superman, Doctor Strange, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, and many more. If you haven’t read the comics, all of these kind of blend into one.

This is a dumb statement.

For decades we barely had any superhero movies because the technology wasn't there to make them appropriately. Now we do, so we're making up for lost time.

True. But there's also such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Not saying that audiences are there yet en masse, but as a lifelong comic book reader who is, at best, a marginally curious observer of the modern superhero movie phenomenon (fad?), I know that I'm very close to the tipping point. The tedious sameness of it all becomes more and more clear to me with each new trailer I see...

I have no problem with a director not wanting to direct a movie dealing with a subject matter about which he/she has no knowledge.

In fact, when it comes to superhero properties... I applaud it.

Yes, technology is the building block of the current slate of well-made superhero movies, but the directors and producers who love and appreciate the history of the characters are the architects.

I find some of the responses here funny. The guy is talented, far more talented some of the directors making some of these super hero movies. So he doesn't want to make a super hero movie, I'm sure if you ask a lot of directors they'd probably say the same thing.

:shrug:

Peter Jackson complaining about movie franchises is like Babe Ruth complaining about cheap women, hot dogs, bourbon, home runs and making more money than the president.

+47