• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$10,000

98 posts in this topic

FF #1. Everything else seems to have run up a lot more in the last 5 years. I've got to think it's a relative value.

I fully agree with this, and I also think that FF #48 and Adventure Comics #247 are great buys right now when you consider what they will sell for in 2030. My crystal ball says that it will be a lot.

If you don't like the strategy of scooping up first appearances of formerly popular characters when they are down, then you can always go for currently popular characters that will almost certainly stay that way.

Iron Man and the Avengers are firmly entrenched on the A-list now, and Batman has the A+-list all to himself at the moment(thanks, Sony). Their Silver Age key issues still seem relatively affordable to me.

I would go with the highest grade ST 110 you could get. It is undervalued and if the movie is a smash hit it will continue to increase as more people get turned on to the title and character.

The issue with the Hulk 1 or Af 15 is if you bought a 3.0 or 3.5 AF 15 or a 4.0/4.5 Hulk how much room is there going to be to grow? In 20 years they will increase but to what extent.

A HG copy of a key for 10k has got a better chance to out perform a low grade key IMO.

Will the Hulk or AF 15 be a safer bet most likely but a dramatic return I would not bet on.

If this is an investment question I would answer none. No way I would hold almost any comic book for 15-20 years as an investment at this time.

If we were talking about personal collection I would probably throw it at a SC22 in 7.0-7.5 and use the rest to fill in some Flash/Batman/Tecs/BB/SC's I need.

A year ago when you could have gotten a 5.5/6.0 Incredible Hulk #1 for your 10k I might have said that. Now that you would be lucky to get a 4.5/5.0 for 10k I'm not so sure. I still think Fantastic Four #1 is a better buy right now.

Pulease! 3.5's are going for 11K+ these days.

FF #1 is a good buy but unless Marvel and Disney get the rights back it will never see a movie bump because all the movies have sucked. Basically it is on its own to increase in price while every other key has gotten a movie bump

Actually HUlk 1 might be the best because if they ever come out with a great HULK movie the book may explode

If this is an investment question I would answer none. No way I would hold almost any comic book for 15-20 years as an investment at this time.

If we were talking about personal collection I would probably throw it at a SC22 in 7.0-7.5 and use the rest to fill in some Flash/Batman/Tecs/BB/SC's I need.

True. If you were looking to invest I'd recommend an S&P EFT.

One book: I like the idea of a HG FF #4. Great book.

I'll go against the grain and say I'd buy some early Marvel circle 12s with the 10K:

A few early Hulks, which aren't as plentiful as other title's early issues, regardless of how bad the stories were.

A few early FFs, the Alpha Dogs of Silver Marvel. (or at least they should be)

A few early JIMs, anything before 93 is a bit of a challenge.

Just my 10K. Full disclosure, I prefer runs to keys.

Coincidentally, BB 25 9.2 last sale was $10k on the nose. 2 in grade (highest) and 46 Universal on the census, although that will almost certainly change. No one would take that over a Hulk 1 4.0 or an AF 15 3.0?

Nope. (thumbs u

I don't even think the movie hype on this book (such as it is) will even make it to the release date.

-J.

You've got $10,000 to buy silver age books raw or slabbed.

You're going to keep them for at least 10-20 years.

What would you buy?

I would buy old label and mid 2000s certification number books . Targeting unmanipulated pedigrees, Green River for example, whose certification provenance can be traced from the seller (who willfully discloses all material facts before purchase) back to the original owner. (thumbs u