• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,103 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2021 at 4:25 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

That book has been a sleeper favorite for a while.  It's a black John Buscema cover that people love.

I think I can count the number of copies available on ebay right now on one hand so clearly it's number has come up. I can only imagine what a high grade copy would be at right now.

On 7/5/2021 at 6:09 PM, AJLewandoski said:

Also I didn't see anyone mention it when they were talking about Abomination in the Shang Chi trailer, but Tales of Suspense #50 seems like it should be pretty hot.

Sorry what am I missing here? How does ToS 50 relate to either Abomination or Shang Chi?

On 8/8/2021 at 6:25 PM, bpc3qh said:

First appearance of The Mandarin.

I know that part but I'm not seeing the ties to abomination or Shang Chi. Is Mandarin in the movie? As in a "real" Mandarin and not that BS from Iron Man 3?

On 8/8/2021 at 9:16 PM, LordRahl said:

Sorry what am I missing here? How does ToS 50 relate to either Abomination or Shang Chi?

Tony Leung is playing Wenwu, Shang Chi's father. The character is an amalgam of Fu Manchu and the Mandarin, but altered to not be a racist stereotype. He will be leading the terrorist organization known as the Ten Rings and also possess the mystical artifacts of the same name, hope that clears things up. (Ben Kingsley will also be back as the fake Mandarin from Iron Man 3)

On 8/10/2021 at 3:55 PM, BrooksR said:

Is it weird that I love beat up silver age books? It’s a lot like vintage guitars, they look cooler when they’re well used 🙂

Is it weird that I love beat up silver age books - yes! :baiting:

they look cooler when they’re well used - no, no they don't

But to each his own as the saying goes. Honestly for me, if someone gave me that book I'd either sell it or junk it. I have absolutely zero desire to own low grade beaters. They do absolutely nothing for me. Doesn't mean other folks shouldn't collect them, if they work for you great... I just never saw the appeal in beaters.

On 8/10/2021 at 7:03 PM, LordRahl said:

I just never saw the appeal in beaters.

well, I like that I can read them without being scared of creasing the spine or bending the corners  🙂

I thought that 2nd print of Nice House on the Lake looked cool too😄

Edited by BrooksR