• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,103 posts in this topic

On 2/14/2022 at 5:58 PM, alexgross.com said:

i am not saying that it is not legit, and i certainly hope that it is, as the owner of a nice 4.5 af15 myself. but a few years ago i sold a book on feebay for a record price to a non-paying buyer, and the only reason it came off gpa was because i wrote to them to let them know that i was never paid.

so, it's entirely possible that people wanting to boost prices in this way are bidding on stuff like this but not following through with payment. if two collaborators did it and did not re-list the book again, i don't see how gpa would know it was not legit. 

It was a buy it now too. If two or three bidders had taken it up to that price, I’d be more inclined to believe it.

On 2/14/2022 at 6:58 PM, alexgross.com said:

i am not saying that it is not legit, and i certainly hope that it is, as the owner of a nice 4.5 af15 myself. but a few years ago i sold a book on feebay for a record price to a non-paying buyer, and the only reason it came off gpa was because i wrote to them to let them know that i was never paid.

so, it's entirely possible that people wanting to boost prices in this way are bidding on stuff like this but not following through with payment. if two collaborators did it and did not re-list the book again, i don't see how gpa would know it was not legit. 

I sure hope folks aren’t scheming in this way, but it sounds easy enough to pull off. I took a look at the seller’s other items. Man does he have some good, pricey stuff! Especially to this rookie’s eyeballs. If this seller were to go in on a scheme like this then he/she stands a lot to lose. 

On 2/14/2022 at 4:50 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

I sure hope folks aren’t scheming in this way, but it sounds easy enough to pull off. I took a look at the seller’s other items. Man does he have some good, pricey stuff! Especially to this rookie’s eyeballs. If this seller were to go in on a scheme like this then he/she stands a lot to lose. 

ebay, HA and others all have had colorful conversations on the boards about shenanigans. Good luck.

On 2/14/2022 at 6:50 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

You're right that it is probably easy to pull off.  Just reminded me of a book that I "sold" a few months ago on the bay.  Had a BIN including best offer and the buyer bought it without making an offer and with 0 feedback.  I knew he wouldn't pay, but I played along because you never know if they might be new to Bay or whatever.  Of course he didnt pay and had an excuse.  Totally forgot about that book until reading these comments and its been off listed for a couple months, so GPA definitely wouldn't know that it wasnt really sold.  

On 2/15/2022 at 1:13 PM, Bluemedgroup said:

You're right that it is probably easy to pull off.  Just reminded me of a book that I "sold" a few months ago on the bay.  Had a BIN including best offer and the buyer bought it without making an offer and with 0 feedback.  I knew he wouldn't pay, but I played along because you never know if they might be new to Bay or whatever.  Of course he didnt pay and had an excuse.  Totally forgot about that book until reading these comments and its been off listed for a couple months, so GPA definitely wouldn't know that it wasnt really sold.  

If you search sold listings on Ebay does your book still show up? I mean in such cases I don't know how GPA could track non payers without the book being re listed? Usually GPA takes down a sale as soon as it gets relisted by the same seller after being "sold".

These fake sales would happen routinely with IH181 some time ago, probably still does. I remember posting in frustration it was the most fake sold book in the history of comics. 

Edited by MGsimba77

On 2/15/2022 at 9:29 PM, MGsimba77 said:

If you search sold listings on Ebay does your book still show up? I mean in such cases I don't know how GPA could track non payers without the book being re listed? Usually GPA takes down a sale as soon as it gets relisted by the same seller after being "sold".

These fake sales would happen routinely with IH181 some time ago, probably still does. I remember posting in frustration it was the most fake sold book in the history of comics. 

Ok just checked.  So my memory is bad, it felt like months ago, but it was actually 30 days ago.  And apparently it was a best offer I accepted lol, not BIN.  But it does show up under sold on eBay.  Also shows up under GPA as well. 

On 2/16/2022 at 2:41 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

I’ve taken the plunge and secured a 7 grade FF 48. Here’s to more to come!! The GPAnalysis info is a very good tool. Thanks for that info. Also: I purchased a smaller valued book from Dale Roberts Comics. Decent experience. Does anyone have experience with icomicexchange (ice)? I have not yet purchased, but the prices look reasonable. 

Forgive the pic if it’s taboo here. Wanted to document the day!

3E182120-30C3-4ADD-8803-A2E4C8EE9744.jpeg

Congratulations!!! 

FF48 is a great book. It was the first big key I ever bought and I spent a whopping $60 back in the late 90s. That was allot of money for a teenager working at Kmart! 

Now I think you need to get FF49 and 50 to complete the trilogy!  Not to mention 49 is one of Kirby's finest covers of the SA. 

PS - I don't know where you live, but it looks like you've got some pretty rough winters!  I saw the picture as I was walking my dog in 8 degree whether over slick icy roads. 

Edited by KCOComics

On 2/16/2022 at 11:41 AM, GrasshopperFF said:

I’ve taken the plunge and secured a 7 grade FF 48. Here’s to more to come!! The GPAnalysis info is a very good tool. Thanks for that info. Also: I purchased a smaller valued book from Dale Roberts Comics. Decent experience. Does anyone have experience with icomicexchange (ice)? I have not yet purchased, but the prices look reasonable. 

nice book! also i'm now moving to bradenton florida! looks like a lovely street!

On 2/17/2022 at 9:15 AM, KCOComics said:

Congratulations!!! 

FF48 is a great book. It was the first big key I ever bought and I spent a whopping $60 back in the late 90s. That was allot of money for a teenager working at Kmart! 

Now I think you need to get FF49 and 50 to complete the trilogy!  Not to mention 49 is one of Kirby's finest covers of the SA. 

PS - I don't know where you live, but it looks like you've got some pretty rough winters!  I saw the picture as I was walking my dog in 8 degree whether over slick icy roads. 

I wonder if I’m getting in too late?! After 45 years in Central and Western NY this Florida weather is … quite nice! I don’t miss that 9 degree walk w the dog. 

On 2/17/2022 at 11:53 AM, alexgross.com said:

nice book! also i'm now moving to bradenton florida! looks like a lovely street!

No kidding? Wow, small world! When we first moved here we were out East (Lakewood Ranch). But our kids’ school and my business at that time were in west Bradenton. So we are now west. Closer to the water. And loving it! There are some adjustments, to be sure, but really liking it now. Welcome!!

On 2/17/2022 at 8:59 AM, GrasshopperFF said:

No kidding? Wow, small world! When we first moved here we were out East (Lakewood Ranch). But our kids’ school and my business at that time were in west Bradenton. So we are now west. Closer to the water. And loving it! There are some adjustments, to be sure, but really liking it now. Welcome!!

no i was kidding- because your pic looks so lovely!

Congrats on the sweet FF #48, @GrasshopperFF!

To answer your question, I've bought books from ICE twice over the last few years, and they were great to deal with...

Congrats! ICE (icomicexchange) are simply the best to deal with. You are in great hands with Jay and the gang over there. PM me if you want more detailed reference. All the best in growing the collection!

On 2/19/2022 at 2:48 PM, Roger66 said:

My perspective on collecting Marvel Silver Age keys :womanhero: is that of a collector in the mid-century of his life, who became familiar with all of these characters in or around the 1970s.  I collected strongly in my youth and stopped for about 25 years and have since resumed.  I stand my ground when I say your can divide what to invest in into 3 categories.  On top of the pyramid so to speak are the ELITES or solid historical standby keys  <3 - such as Spider-Man 1, Hulk 1, FF 1. Thor JIM83, Iron-Man's TOS39, X-MEN 1, Hulk 181 etc.  Beneath them and with great respect and seemingly percolating towards the top for good reasons remain the strong supporting characters 1st appearances like that of Black Widow, Ant Man, Hawkeye, Daredevil, King Pin, Dr. Doom, Avengers 1 & 4, ASM129 etc - and admittedly some of these characters have bled into the top tier (i.e. DD1 & FF5) by virtue of very strong sales, high demand and huge investment returns.  In the third and by far the largest tier is almost everyone else such as 1st appearances of Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Shang-Chi, Venom, Kraven, Eternals, Guardians of the Galaxy, She-Hulk etc - 

My above list is by no means comprehensive and might need to be tweaked upon a further editing and certainly I expect will be disputed. Barring high graded CGC copies of any of the above - I find myself reluctant to invest in the third tier esp when the key is HOT and thus will buy the 2nd tier if the price is right and the grade desirable and of course the 1st tier if possible.  In short I find you are best served if with a limited budget to save for Tier 2 and Tier 1, which is now a stretch for most collectors on a constrained budget. This whole "heating up" things is essentially the answer to the question, which is nothing heats up forever and eventually returns to room temperature or to a lesser degree after the oxygen is diminished.  Staying true to your heart and intuition and remembering what historical characters built the MCU is IMO the way to go - so ignore the incessant chattering, hype and movie rumors... :Rocket:  :preach: - my 2-cents.

I really like your reasoning, Roger66. Care to elaborate/expand upon buckets 1 and 2?  Is there room for villains, like the first appearance of Galactus?  I truly do find myself wanting to know more about how far tiers 1 and 2 extend, acknowledging that they bleed into each other in some fashion. Asking for obvious reason: This rookie needs more guidance! 

On 2/19/2022 at 3:43 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

I really like your reasoning, Roger66. Care to elaborate/expand upon buckets 1 and 2?  Is there room for villains, like the first appearance of Galactus?  I truly do find myself wanting to know more about how far tiers 1 and 2 extend, acknowledging that they bleed into each other in some fashion. Asking for obvious reason: This rookie needs more guidance! 

Thank you GrasshopperFF :cheers: - Comics in some ways can be thought of like stocks due to the incredible surging value they have - just think for a moment that the entire recorded Hulk 181 CGC population of say 20,000 copies could be worth I don't know say for argument's sake 150 million dollars while the entire FF1 CGC population of about 3,500 copies could be worth say about 100 million bucks and AF15's population now of about 2,300 copies could be worth perhaps 275 million plus... with that in mind - comics - all of them - are worth billions of dollars in their entirety  (worship)- if you have limited comic money each month to invest in books or let's say stocks - long term you want to create a portfolio that can perform, endure and outlast the competition :idea:.  There is always room for certain characters to grow esp when for years they were left behind in the collectors subconscious mind like Daredevil and Dr. Doom, both loved but not really appreciated money wise until all eyes focused on their importance....  same could be said for Galactus but remember like Thanos once his story arc was done and over in the MCU (and we all hope it shall be royally epic :banana:) - you likely won't hear from this planet eating villain again.  So to me Galactus is in tier 2 and not a tier 1 character..  same for Thanos.  I also believe very strongly that if you have 3 to 5k to spend on either a FF48 or FF49 - hands-down grab issue 48 over 49.  Silver Surfer btw is potentially a tier 1 character and may be there sooner than later.  Hope this helps as well as encourages you - stay thirsty my friend...  Good luck..  :preach:

Edited by Roger66

On 2/19/2022 at 1:33 PM, Roger66 said:

Silver Surfer btw is potentially a tier 1 character and may be there sooner than later.  Hope this helps as well as encourages you - stay thirsty my friend...  Good luck..  :preach:

i'm all in on this last sentence. silver surfer 1, which is obviously not his first appearance, is tier 1 to me as it has a major opportunity to explode if he is developed as so many of us hope he will be at some point. and it's just one of the best covers ever imho. full disclosure, i own many copies of ss1.

On 2/19/2022 at 5:01 PM, alexgross.com said:

i'm all in on this last sentence. silver surfer 1, which is obviously not his first appearance, is tier 1 to me as it has a major opportunity to explode if he is developed as so many of us hope he will be at some point. and it's just one of the best covers ever imho. full disclosure, i own many copies of ss1.

I’m very much interested in the Surfer. Lots of bids out. Watching. Boom!