• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,103 posts in this topic

All of this talk and nothing changes period... ebay sellers are full of ...

Showcase #30 -great cover and try-out issue (one of multiple retelling of origin,not first silver age) key book if your collecting the showcase run or a fan of Aquaman)

Adventure #260 is the first silver age origin ONLY of Aquaman. I dont like the cover !

Aquaman #1 first solo title ... that's it !

Argue if needed but as stated before this is all these books are. If i could not get my hands on a More Fun the next book i would grab (pre-movie hype) would be Showcase #30 !

There are indeed great sig lines all over the boards.

All these books being discussed, whether keys, semi keys or just made up will have greatest demand and greatest appreciation in high grade. I like the cover to Adventure #260 with its low key scene that looks so 1950s.

Keys were determined somewhat differently when most collectors were focusing on assembling runs of their favorite characters and titles. Keys existed within the context of what an individual was actively collecting. An Aquaman fan would have no problem considering SC 30 to be a Key....... but in the last 10 years or so we have seen the increased focus on collecting Keys only..... and in this regard, some additional discrimination has become necessary from a variety of standpoints and motivations. Every longtime collector of SA D.C.'s I've ever known has always considered the Showcase appearances to be necessary to the completion of their runs..... and since they predate the actual run, they are, as Jay says, notable. In the truest sense of the term "Key", including most of them in the same group as the OPG Top 10 is certainly inaccurate. The book is Key to the collector...... but not Key in the "USA Today" mindset. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...... for many years the Showcase title was considered to be a run of "Keys".

Nice analysis and it makes a lot of sense. Several dealers I've talked to at the bigger shows over the last several years speak of this--everything being about keys and few people putting runs together. Personally, the thought of putting a full run together of almost any silver age book is a thrill...but I've been told that outside of ASM and a couple of others there just aren't many people doing it anymore.

The two titles I see the most people building SA runs with are ASM and Batman. There are the odd collector of other titles, but there are very few of them relative to the big two.

I've been building a Superman Silver Age collection for the last couple of years, and I've noticed that I'm getting a lot more competition recently when a nice string of VF-ish 12 cent books go up on eBay.

Thankfully, most of the keys I already have, so now it's just filling in the in-between issues. Previously, I could snag a nice run of 7.0-8.0 books for VG guide pricing, now it looks like they're creeping up into the fine pricing range.

It's an anecdotal tale, with a sample size of one, but that's been my experience over the last 6-8 months or so.

I don't know if that has changed much over the years. When I was still filling in my want list anything below VF could be had usually under guide, as soon as you hot VF or higher that no longer seemed the case. There are a lot of fun books to buy from the Superman run. My personal favorites are the 160's.

I got Showcase 30 a long time ago. Have always thought of it as a key.

Movie, schmoovie, I couldn't care less.

There is no retcon, there is no bamboozling, not towards me. Sorry.

Congrats..?

No sure what this has to do with anything?

I was trying to reply to your other post, but it is now dust in the wind. Probably for the best, since you don't want such silliness leaving a stain on your posting legacy.

Anyway, you were searching for consensus. That's easy. Collectors have spoken with their wallets, and Showcase #30 is, at the very least, a minor key.

Why is Hulk #181 considered a more important key than #180? Money. That's the consensus. Sure, there are specific reasons that people used when the majority chose #181. They are the opposite reasons people used when they decided on the key Doomsday and Darkseid appearances. The consensus is often arbitrary. Why is Batman #227 considered a key? Batman #251? How about a Hulk vs. Thor battle from 1973, nearly a decade after they first fought? None of these feature a first appearance of note. Yet they all command a premium.

So what is our clearest indicator of what collectors consider to be key? How they choose to spend their money.

This consensus you seek doesn't really help your argument.

So what else is heating up on eBay besides the white hot juggernaut that is Showcase #30? Are the still affordable Dr. Strange books about to get another bump as more movie info is made available?

I think you are confusing popular/in demand with key. Just because a book has a cool cover and people pony up a lot of money to buy it does not mean the book is important in any way beyond having a cool cover. A cool cover does not equal key.

I don't know if that has changed much over the years. When I was still filling in my want list anything below VF could be had usually under guide, as soon as you hot VF or higher that no longer seemed the case. There are a lot of fun books to buy from the Superman run. My personal favorites are the 160's.

..... so does this mean that Superman 158 (my second favorite behind 141) is a piece of dung :baiting: GOD BLESS....

.... around here ASM and Batman are also king..... with Batman probably in the lead (as far as runs...)..... but there are several collectors working on X-Men also....and Daredevil..... but then DD is still very reasonable for the most part.

I think you are confusing popular/in demand with key. Just because a book has a cool cover and people pony up a lot of money to buy it does not mean the book is important in any way beyond having a cool cover. A cool cover does not equal key.

I think that once you start referring to classic covers as "key" it makes any sort of agreement on the definition of what constitutes a key much harder to come by. But...people do it all the time:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4782132&fpart=1

Personally, I'm fine with the words notable or important or breathtaking being used in lieu of "key" every now and again.

I use the term "Classic Issue" to differentiate from a key.....which to me should either be #1 or a first appearance. The money involved determines the significance...... and while this can be fleeting, it usually won't be. 2c GOD BLESS...

I think that once you start referring to classic covers as "key" it makes any sort of agreement on the definition of what constitutes a key much harder to come by. But...people do it all the time:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4782132&fpart=1

Personally, I'm fine with the words notable or important or breathtaking being used in lieu of "key" every now and again.

I think most people in the hobby equate a key with some level of importance of a book. Hence the level of key. First appearance of a major character = top level key, first appearance of a B level character = minor key or some such. Sure there are variances in each individuals definition of key however the hobby as a whole has some consensus on the fact that a key features some sort of important event (1st app, death of, team up, whatever). I don't think anyone can argue with a straight face that Batman 227 is important in any way, shape or form. It ISN'T... at all. It's just a cool cover that happens to be hot right now. In 20 years it might not be and then the book has nothing going for it. Hulk 181 however will always be the 1st app of a major character and therefore a key even if it isn't popular for a time.