• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,101 posts in this topic

If BB 34 is heating up it's only because it's a character first appearance, pretty much any first appearance seems to be going up. BB 34 is an abundant key.

Ten years ago there were many books to buy that would have been a great move viewed from today. No surprise that Amazing Fantasy #15 was the top book to buy. Whether it still is so much of a potential mover today who can know? There are lots of copies out there that might come to market to create good supply.

A much bigger and more recent surprise is the ascendency of Showcase #4 from a rather stuffy and weary old key into a real mover. There will likely never be a good supply.

If BB 34 is heating up it's only because it's a character first appearance, pretty much any first appearance seems to be going up. BB 34 is an abundant key.
I picked one up recently because I've always wanted one. It is so expensive already in higher grade that I picked up a nice midgrade that will look good enough for my collection. In terms of 'exploding' I'm never too sure about '1st silver age appearance' when it isn't a true character first appearance. Edited by hpkid123

BB 34 is an abundant key.

I beg to differ on your BB34 comment and offer the CGC census as proof.

There are only 381 graded copies, only 26 in 8.5 and higher, no 9.6's, no 9.8's.

Compare that to the current hot Marvel key, Daredevil 1.

There are 2,126 graded copies, 238 in 8.5 and higher, 2 9.8's, 17 9.6's.

(shrug)

Edited by bomber-bob

There are only 381 graded copies, only 26 in 8.5 and higher, no 9.6's, no 9.8's.

(shrug)

In fairness, that is likely a result of lack of interest in slabbing the book heretofore.

Just a quick perusal of eBay reveals dozens and dozens of mostly raw copies available.

-J.

(shrug)

In fairness, that is likely a result of lack of interest in slabbing the book heretofore.

Just a quick perusal of eBay reveals dozens and dozens of mostly raw copies available.

-J.

Yes, and they are all lower grades. Also, the number of raw DD1's on E-Bay is not trivial. I agree that any book getting hot will see more in the marketplace but to call BB34 'abundant' is an exaggeration. Jaydog, per your own words, you only believe in the data. I have produced the data and it shows BB34 is not abundant in high grade.

It is a great time to be a comic speculator, terrible time to be a comic collector (if you care about the value of your collection in 20 years).

Not if you have been a collector for many years. If you obtained many of these 'hot' books years ago you are smiling.

It is a great time to be a comic speculator, terrible time to be a comic collector (if you care about the value of your collection in 20 years).

Not if you have been a collector for many years. If you obtained many of these 'hot' books years ago you are smiling.

This is true.

I will rephrase - now is a terrible time to start becoming a comic collector (if you care about the value of your collection in 20 years).

This is true.

I will rephrase - now is a terrible time to start becoming a comic collector (if you care about the value of your collection in 20 years).

(thumbs u

(shrug)

-J.

Yes, and they are all lower grades. Also, the number of raw DD1's on E-Bay is not trivial. I agree that any book getting hot will see more in the marketplace but to call BB34 'abundant' is an exaggeration. Jaydog, per your own words, you only believe in the data. I have produced the data and it shows BB34 is not abundant in high grade.

It's the same perspective, daredevil has always been "worth slabbing" even in lower mid-grade because it has always been seen as a marvel "key", if an "under-valued" one. So naturally its census numbers will be significantly higher. If B and B 34 actually does become "hot" and more than a few higher grade copies command some serious money, I have no doubt other copies will start appearing. That would seem to be the overwhelming pattern in the age of the slab. lol

-J.

I tell you, some of these 10 cent DC's just don't seem to exist in high grades. Look at Showcase 22, a single highest graded at only a 9.2. Brave and the Bold 25, still only 5 copies in 8.5 or better. Showcase 20, first Rip Hunter, only 5 copies in 8.5 or higher. If Hawkman or Hawkgirl became hot and BB34 took off, the census numbers would still pale to most Marvel. BTW, didn't the article reference above say that it was Hawkgirl, not Hawkman, that would be in a movie ?

Edited by bomber-bob

I tell you, some of these 10 cent DC's just don't seem to exist in high grades. Look at Showcase 22, a single highest graded at only a 9.2. Brave and the Bold 25, still only 5 copies in 8.5 or better. Showcase 20, first Rip Hunter, only 5 copies in 8.5 or higher. If Hawkman or Hawkgirl became hot and BB34 took off, the census numbers would still pale to most Marvel. BTW, didn't the article reference above say that it was Hawkgirl, not Hawkman, that would be in a movie ?
Hawkgirl in Arrow/Flash spinoff TV show I think. The Midway City Easter eggs in Suicide Squad movie that are coming out are quite interesting also. If done right, I think Hawk family characters/storylines would look awesome on the big screen.

(shrug)

Why compare it to a Marvel? I didn't say "compared to a Marvel comic..." I just said it was abundant, and it is. You can find a copy usually up to about 8.0 anytime you want.

Early 60's DCs are quite scarce in very high grade, but the good news is, there are not insubstantial amounts sitting in raw collections out there. They will show up...eventually.

But yes, until about 1962/3, DCs are an absolute bear to find in high grade. Hardly anyone saved them that way. Lots of low grade copies...not so much the highs.

And, it's hard to compare a late 1960 DC, like B&B #34, with a book like DD #1, a 1964 book, and the last of the "first wave" SA Marvels. The difference between those three+ years in collecting mentality is absolutely staggering.

BB 34 is not hard to find and is a minor key at best.

Is it any less of a "key" then Strange Tales 110 ?

1st true appearance of Dr. Strange, a soon-to-be major Marvel silver screen icon vs. 1st SILVER AGE appearance of Hawkgirl...who is appearing as a team member on a CW television series

I tend to lean to "minor" key, but key nevertheless...

I think BB#34 will certainly see a bump. If the HAWKS show up on the big-screen, add in another bump.

I find this all kind of amusing. Hawkman was already on Smallville, the JSA was in fact. These demand and price bumps seems so arbitrary now. What actually constitutes as legitimate demand versus speculation? These are not cheap books we are talking about, so when speculators buy them they want to flip them for a profit.

Maybe what I am missing is that these books will permanently hold onto these increases and that they are truly becoming long term collectibles. I don't know, I would like to hope so.

I find this all kind of amusing. Hawkman was already on Smallville, the JSA was in fact. These demand and price bumps seems so arbitrary now. What actually constitutes as legitimate demand versus speculation? These are not cheap books we are talking about, so when speculators buy them they want to flip them for a profit.

Maybe what I am missing is that these books will permanently hold onto these increase and that they are truly becoming long term collectibles. I don't know, I would like to hope so.

One thing to remember about BB 34...... It has a fantastic cover with a fantastic story and fantastic art..... AND it's a key. That a 7.5 could still be had for a grand was befuddling to me. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u