• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,101 posts in this topic

Oh I love the book Jim, I have a nice copy. I just can't understand the current mentality. It seems very risky to buy a $1000 book on speculation that you don't really like hoping it will go up a lot and make you a sweet profit. Sounds way too much the the housing market. I am gonna stick with buying stuff I like personally.

bb34cgca.jpg

I find this all kind of amusing. Hawkman was already on Smallville, the JSA was in fact. These demand and price bumps seems so arbitrary now. What actually constitutes as legitimate demand versus speculation? These are not cheap books we are talking about, so when speculators buy them they want to flip them for a profit.

Maybe what I am missing is that these books will permanently hold onto these increase and that they are truly becoming long term collectibles. I don't know, I would like to hope so.

Completely agree. Even speculation of a character appearing in a show or movie is driving speculation... :screwy:

Oh I love the book Jim, I have a nice copy. I just can't understand the current mentality. It seems very risky to buy a $1000 book on speculation that you don't really like hoping it will go up a lot and make you a sweet profit. Sounds way too much the the housing market. I am gonna stick with buying stuff I like personally.

I agree and if you've actually been collecting these books for a while the market today is as crazed as it gets. I just don't know that I'd put BB 34 into the grouping of movie, speculation crazed books like we've seen in the past 10 years that were basically obsolete then became hot overnight.

I know there aren't a ton of real DC collectors but this book has always been at least a semi key and features the first appearances of 2 core DC characters - I don't need a movie/tv show bringing the focus on the 1st Appearance of Hawkgirl (as opposed to Hawkman I guess ?) to tell me that the book is really cool and highly collectible.

I love B&B #34, and partly because it's one of the few old style 10 centers with a MAR cover date. In fact, they changed to "Still 10c" in the middle of that month's (Dec 60-Jan 61) run.

:cloud9:

yes, my favorite of the first three covers:

bb35.jpg

I agree and if you've actually been collecting these books for a while the market today is as crazed as it gets. I just don't know that I'd put BB 34 into the grouping of movie, speculation crazed books like we've seen in the past 10 years that were basically obsolete then became hot overnight.

No matter what any of us do or do not think about movie/tv/media-fueled speculation, there's also this:

All this stuff is worth "something", because many people buy into some version of a conversation about the book that goes like this:

"If the first appearance of Character A is worth $100, then the first appearance of Character B should be worth about $85, because it's from the same year and Character B is slightly less important."

There are other factors like scarcity, creator, etc that we'd consider. And we've had approximately 1,375,432 conversations like that on this board. It's fun, and because most of us buy into them to a greater or lesser extent, we make them true [none of this is worth anything if we don't all buy into this idea of relative importance in some form. If we don't, it's just crumbling old paper.]

Jumping to the point -- even without any sort of hype on any given day, when the top sale in the hobby goes from $350k to $3.2 million in a 5-year period, you're going to have a lot of people revisiting those comparisons and deciding if they mean something different now, or not.

A decade ago, Book A was worth $100,000, and Book G-23 was worth $5,000.

If Book A is now worth $1.5 Million, is Book G-23 now worth $75,000? Or maybe "just" $25,000?

The rules are different now, but how different? hm

I think that goes just as far towards explaining some anomalous valuations as movie hype does.

The six issues of Brave and the Bold that Kubert did with Hawkman are not only some of his finest work, but some of the best story and art that DC had during the silver age. They have long been deserving of recognition. They have been almost dead as a collectible though, and can routinely be bought under guide, even in nice shape. If Hawkgirl gets a movie or TV appearance and that makes collectors look at these early B&B's, that is wonderful.

Just look at these:

bb42.jpg

bb43.jpg

bb44.jpg

The six issues of Brave and the Bold that Kubert did with Hawkman are not only some of his finest work, but some of the best story and art that DC had during the silver age. They have long been deserving of recognition. They have been almost dead as a collectible though, and can routinely be bought under guide, even in nice shape. If Hawkgirl gets a movie or TV appearance and that makes collectors look at these early B&B's, that is wonderful.

Just look at these:

bb42.jpg

bb43.jpg

bb44.jpg

100% agree. Always loved these issues between 34 and 44.

I have em all raw and still won't sell my 34 with all the hype and "crazy" value. It's nice to see such a quality book finally getting a bump. Now I'd be bummed if I didn't already have a copy.

The later issues are still bargain fodder. If anyone wants to sell me a nice 9.0+ slab of all the issues, shoot me a PM.

I have about 8 copies of B&B #44....they're in superb VF-ish condition, with one exception...

...their front covers are all torn off.

:cloud9:

It's a shame, really, because they were all very nice copies before they were remaindered. Ah well. Hey, I can't complain, they were $1 each in 1998-1999, so....

Brave and Bold 54 may be heating up. Listed my 9.0 OW/W on CLink this past Sunday and it sold today for full boat. $1150.

I shouldn't be surprised I guess. According to GPA a 7.0 closed for almost a grand recently. Maybe it was an upgrade candidate.

Just look at these:

bb42.jpg

bb43.jpg

bb44.jpg

Yes, those books are gorgeous. Have always thought so.

Thank goodness I have them.

No matter what any of us do or do not think about movie/tv/media-fueled speculation, there's also this:

All this stuff is worth "something", because many people buy into some version of a conversation about the book that goes like this:

"If the first appearance of Character A is worth $100, then the first appearance of Character B should be worth about $85, because it's from the same year and Character B is slightly less important."

There are other factors like scarcity, creator, etc that we'd consider. And we've had approximately 1,375,432 conversations like that on this board. It's fun, and because most of us buy into them to a greater or lesser extent, we make them true [none of this is worth anything if we don't all buy into this idea of relative importance in some form. If we don't, it's just crumbling old paper.]

Jumping to the point -- even without any sort of hype on any given day, when the top sale in the hobby goes from $350k to $3.2 million in a 5-year period, you're going to have a lot of people revisiting those comparisons and deciding if they mean something different now, or not.

A decade ago, Book A was worth $100,000, and Book G-23 was worth $5,000.

If Book A is now worth $1.5 Million, is Book G-23 now worth $75,000? Or maybe "just" $25,000?

The rules are different now, but how different? hm

I think that goes just as far towards explaining some anomalous valuations as movie hype does.

Interesting post.

And, it's hard to compare a late 1960 DC, like B&B #34, with a book like DD #1, a 1964 book, and the last of the "first wave" SA Marvels. The difference between those three+ years in collecting mentality is absolutely staggering.

Well described.

Brave and Bold 54 may be heating up. Listed my 9.0 OW/W on CLink this past Sunday and it sold today for full boat. $1150.

I shouldn't be surprised I guess. According to GPA a 7.0 closed for almost a grand recently. Maybe it was an upgrade candidate.

And that money won't get any of the BB25's for sale on Ebay currently. Prices have really shot up on that one.... I guess it's also pretty scarce?

So....the news today from Marvel looks like it might have an impact on JIM84 after all.

What did I miss?

They confirmed the identity of the new Thor.

And a lot of speculators got burned with that other recent Thor book. lol