• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Movies/TV/Video Games Subforum General Discussion Thread
7 7

515 posts in this topic

In the wake of her social media scandal, Gina Carano hasn't just lost a potential spinoff series of The Mandalorian—she's also lost an action figure of Cara Dune that's been cancelled by Hasbro. Carano's Cara was a former Rebel shock trooper turned mercenary turned marshal of the New Republic. She was a key figure in both seasons of the Disney+ series. It's also been reported Carano could have starred in her own Star Wars spinoff, possibly related to Star Wars: Rangers of the New Republic, which was announced by Disney in December.

However, late last year, the former MMA fighter came under fire for making transphobic comments, as well as spreading election and pandemic conspiracy theories on social media. Though many have called for Carano's firing since then, she remained associated with Lucasfilm until last week. At that point, she shared controversial posts about the Holocaust and Jeffrey Epstein. Both Lucasfilm and Carano's agency announced they had cut ties with her, meaning she'll no longer be apart of The Mandalorian or any spinoffs.

Now, Hasbro, the toy company that manufactures The Mandalorian action figures, has reportedly cancelled the action figure of her Carano's character Cara as well. On Friday, Twitter user TheComixKid (via The Wrap) posted a message from online retailer Big Bad Toy Store stating Hasbro "canceled production of the Star Wars: The Black Series 6” Cara Dune (The Mandalorian)" and regretting the cancellation of all orders. Hasbro itself hasn't released any statements regarding the toy, but its entire inventory of Cara Dune action figures is currently listed as sold out on its website.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I’ll throw it out there:

The other day I was watching some old episodes of Sneak Peeks/At The Movies with Siskel and Ebert on YouTube. 

When I was watching the Tron episode I noticed that there was a bunch of background dialogue in both clips. 

In the first clip it’s when Flynn first gets materialized on the game grid and the whole time you can hear the guards talking behind him. 

The second clip is when they escape the light cycle game, there’s of intercom traffic and you hear the drive scream when the tank goes over the edge. 

Thing is, I’ve got the movie on Blu-ray and none of that dialogue is in the film. I used to own the DVD special edition but I don’t have it anymore and can’t say for sure, though I don’t think this dialogue was in that version. 

So does anyone know what the deal with this is?  Is there some whole missing background dialogue track to Tron?

31 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

The other day I was watching some old episodes of Sneak Peeks/At The Movies with Siskel and Ebert on YouTube. 

When I was watching the Tron episode I noticed that there was a bunch of background dialogue in both clips. 

In the first clip it’s when Flynn first gets materialized on the game grid and the whole time you can hear the guards talking behind him. 

The second clip is when they escape the light cycle game, there’s of intercom traffic and you hear the drive scream when the tank goes over the edge. 

Thing is, I’ve got the movie on Blu-ray and none of that dialogue is in the film. I used to own the DVD special edition but I don’t have it anymore and can’t say for sure, though I don’t think this dialogue was in that version. 

So does anyone know what the deal with this is?  Is there some whole missing background dialogue track to Tron?

National Public Radio did a movie special years ago about the level of care shown to some film sound tracks when it comes to actors providing background contributions to the main scenes. They even played some tracks to movies with just the background sound, and it was amazing the level of detail included that to the average moviegoer it probably goes right on by them. Yet nowadays when you are watching these things with a great soundbar or even with a decent headset, you pick up on such details you may have never noticed.

I'll have to see if I can track down that NPR special. It was extremely well crafted. It even talked about what this engineering focus is called, and the special references to their techniques used.

Never heard of a missing Tron background track.

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

That’s funny you posted this. About 2 or 3 weeks ago I had put Tron on to watch in the background and my wife typically likes to have CC enabled and I hadn’t shut it off. I noticed when Flynn gets to the game grid there was a lot of chatter that popped up I never noticed before. And mind you, this was one of the first VHS tapes my family had when VCRs became mainstream and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen Tron. 

End of line. 

Edited by bentbryan

Holy! Found it. And this goes back to 2007. So I'd like to think this was a replay I heard years ago.

NPR Special Series: How Hollywood Makes Noise

Without sound, a movie is just celluloid and sprockets. But often there are too many distracting noises to capture the perfect effect. Sound is usually added in post-production.

One of the places where filmmakers go to add sound is Todd-AO Studios in Santa Monica, Calif. The facility has a Foley stage, where "human effects" such as footsteps, body punching, eggs frying and dogs running are recreated.

For snapping bones? Twist spaghetti. It makes great cartilage. Celery or bok choy are good for breaking bones. Use a wet chamois cloth to make the gushy sound for blood.

Jeffrey Wilhoit and James Moriana have been working on Todd-AO's Foley stage together for 20 years. It's a crowded, dusty, workroom filled with car doors, old chains — the kind of junk you might find at a garage sale.

They're following in the footsteps of movie pioneer Jack Foley, who perfected sound effects in the first talking pictures. A major part of his work was re-creating an actor's footsteps. That's still the case today.

Even though Wilhoit and Moriana create some 150 different effects each day while working on a film, they're still primarily "Foley walkers" — with more than 100 pairs of shoes between the two of them.

Why the obsession over sound? "If it's not there, you will notice," says Wilhoit. "It's just that little organic element."

Director William Friedkin (The Exorcist) agrees. "The sound effects and the music very often, to me, carry the scene," he says.

Three decades ago, Friedkin mixed the sound for The Exorcist at Todd-AO. In the film's most chilling scene, a child is possessed by the demon and her head turns totally around on her neck. The director was in need of some creative effects.

He hired Gonzalo Gavira, an innovative sound man from Mexico. Gavira found an old, cracked leather wallet that was full of credit cards and stood in front of a microphone. He started to bend the wallet, and the creaking that followed became an unforgettable movie sound.

Definitely listen to the actual sound track in the article to get the full experience of the special. It's all of 7 minutes.

On 2/19/2021 at 12:32 AM, bentbryan said:

That’s funny you posted this. About 2 or 3 weeks ago I had put Tron on to watch in the background and my wife typically likes to have CC enabled and I hadn’t shut it off. I noticed when Flynn gets to the game grid there was a lot of chatter that popped up I never noticed before. And mind you, this was one of the first VHS tapes my family had when VCRs became mainstream and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen Tron. 

End of line. 

How dare you put Tron in the background! Nobody puts Tron in the background!

And now thanks to you nerds, I’m watching it again tonight. I may even do Legacy. 

On 2/18/2021 at 11:19 PM, Number 6 said:

Watched it again yesterday from my iTunes library and no chatter and no scream from falling tank. Did this movie get the Lucas treatment with some added stuff?

4 hours ago, Oddball said:

Watched it again yesterday from my iTunes library and no chatter and no scream from falling tank. Did this movie get the Lucas treatment with some added stuff?

I know it was digitally remastered, but I’m not aware of any overt changes made to the film. 

Is it possible that in the remastering this background dialogue got buried in the sound mix?  I’m not enough of video/audiophile to answer those kinds of questions but I would think that the tank driver screaming would be at the forefront of the audio track. 

Here’s the Siskel and Ebert episode. If you’ve watched Tron recently you’ll spot what I’m talking about right away. 

Edited by Number 6

I have the "Ultimate Tron Experience" blu-ray set that came out after Legacy (and comes in a light up Identity disc!), and includes a blu-ray of the original Tron.  Neither that that dialog or scream is on there either, which is odd. 

I had the 20-year anniversary DVD set that came out in 2002, but sadly that was lost in a fire, and wonder if it was on that version as well.

17 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I know it was digitally remastered, but I’m not aware of any overt changes made to the film. 

Is it possible that in the remastering this background dialogue got buried in the sound mix?  I’m not enough of video/audiophile to answer those kinds of questions but I would think that the tank driver screaming would be at the forefront of the audio track. 

Here’s the Siskel and Ebert episode. If you’ve watched Tron recently you’ll spot what I’m talking about right away. 

That’s pretty cool, so this is the original theatrical release as reviewed by E & S and for whatever reason the audio was omitted for home release. If that’s the case, I’m sure it’s not limited to just those two scenes. I wonder what else was changed.

Edited by Oddball