• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Movies/TV/Video Games Subforum General Discussion Thread
7 7

515 posts in this topic

For those not in the know about why Dogma is never available on Digital and limited on bluray. Blame the Weinsteins.

Kevin Smith Explains Why 'Dogma' Isn’t Available Digitally

Almost twenty years after its theatrical release, Kevin Smith's Dogma remains arguably the most commercially successful film of his career -- but getting your hands on a copy can be difficult, and somebody finally caught up with Smith on Twitter to ask why.

As it turns out (and as most fans of Smith's work probably knew or could have guessed) it has a little to do with the Catholic League, a little to do with Bob and Harvey Weinstein, and a lot to do with the economics of Hollywood at the turn of the century versus now.

"Disney owned Miramax in 1999," Smith answered in a tweet. "Dogma was catching heat from the Catholic League so Disney let the Weinsteins buy the movie themselves (they still personally own the film). Lionsgate released theatrically & Sony did home video. But Digital didn’t EXIST yet when the deal was struck."

That would all begin to change by the time Smith's next big feature film, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, came out, with digital bootleggers getting their hands on a pre-VFX copy of the movie and circulating it prior to the film's official release.

The "heat" in question was that the Catholic League was threatening a boycott of Disney if they permitted the film to be released. Disney technically owned Miramax, but had only previously used its veto power to prevent the distribution of one previous film: the 1995 drama Kids. They took a similar stand against Dogma, and getting the film into U.S. theaters ended up being a challenge that took months and required the direct intervention of Miramax's top executives, the Weinsteins.

@Bosco685

Part 1

Kevin Smith told Business Insider why he referenced "Dogma" in his new movie, "Jay and Silent Bob Reboot," though he doesn't own the rights to it.

Smith's 1999 movie starring Matt Damon and Ben Affleck as renegade angels is owned by Harvey and Bob Weinstein.

Smith said he "thought it would be fun" to give a "Dogma" update, especially seeing this year marks the 20th anniversary of its release.

The writer-director has reached out to the Weinsteins in the past about getting the rights to the movie but has never heard back from them, he said.

"Kevin Smith is one of the great directors of our time, of course I'd hear and consider any idea he would suggest," Harvey Weinstein said through his spokesman Juda Engelmayer to Business Insider about selling Smith the rights to the movie.

Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

Writer-director Kevin Smith makes a references to almost all his old movies in "Jay and Silent Bob Reboot," including one he doesn't have the rights to.

Smith's latest movie, which had a nationwide screening Tuesday through Fathom and will have another on Thursday (followed by a roadshow tour), is a literal reboot of his 2001 movie "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back," in which the New Jersey stoners (played by Jason Mewes and Smith) run into numerous characters from Smith's previous movies while trying to stop a Hollywood adaptation of the comic book based on them.

"Reboot" is loaded with familiar faces, from Ben Affleck reprising the role he played in Smith's "Chasing Amy" to celebrity cameos like Chris Hemsworth in hologram form. But one interesting inclusion is Matt Damon's cameo as Loki from Smith's 1999 movie, "Dogma," which Smith doesn't technically have the rights to use.

Smith was able to make "Reboot" because he personally owns the rights to the Jay and Silent Bob characters and got permission to use "Strike Back" from Miramax Films. So that covers movies like "Clerks," "Mallrats," and "Chasing Amy."

But it gets complicated with "Dogma."At the time Smith made "Dogma," Miramax, then run by Harvey and Bob Weinstein, was owned by Disney. The family-friendly studio refused to have a company it owned releasing a movie about an abortion clinic worker (Linda Fiorentino) who sets out to save the world from two renegade angels (Ben Affleck and Matt Damon). So the Weinsteins personally bought the rights to the movie and got Lionsgate Films to release it.

Since then, the Weinsteins have owned "Dogma."

"We put out word to them a long time ago, 'What's the chances we can buy our movie back?' We never heard back," Smith told Business Insider.

Because of the rights situation, Smith had no intention of including "Dogma" in his new movie. But then he heard from Matt Damon.

"We were in post and Matt got back from vacation and was like, 'Don't leave me out, I want to do something,'" Smith recalled.

At first, Smith was going to have Damon do a cameo as the version of himself that is in "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back." But Smith's wife convinced him to instead put Damon in the movie as Loki."And I said, 'But Loki's dead,'" Smith recounted. "She was like, 'Yeah, in the movie. They are just movies.' And I was like, 'Oh, you're right.' So I thought this would be fun, give a 'Dogma' update."

In "Reboot" (this time Jay and Silent Bob are trying to stop a Comic Con-like event of the comic book characters based on them from happening) Damon briefly appears as Loki, sitting in a church with the Bible in his hand, talking to the camera. He even makes a joke that he's not the Loki from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

For Smith, the Loki cameo is the closest he can get to celebrating a movie he doesn't own.

"This is the 20th anniversary of 'Dogma,'" Smith said. "I can't celebrate it because the movie is not owned by me. It's not available publicly. At a certain point, I felt I created Loki. It's not like we are building the marketing campaign on Loki, so I'm going to weight a certainty over a doubt and I'm certain including Loki is the right thing to do. The only thing that would be the doubt is he starred in a movie that you don't technically own."

Smith said the last time he heard from Harvey Weinstein was in 2017 when the producer called him about wanting to make a sequel to "Dogma" and getting the original available to the public after years of it being unavailable. However, a week after that call, The New York Times published its explosive exposé detailing allegations of sexual misconduct against Weinstein spanning decades. Smith now believes the call was Weinstein's way of gaining his support before the Times story ran. (Weinstein's spokesman Juda Engelmayer told Business Insider he does not know if this call ever happened.) Currently, "Dogma" is the only Kevin Smith movie unavailable to stream.

Would Weinstein ever sell Smith the rights to "Dogma"?

"Kevin Smith is one of the great directors of our time, of course I'd hear and consider any idea he would suggest," Weinstein said to Business Insider through his spokesman Engelmayer.

Part 2

I don't think I can paste so I will sum up.

Smith basically says that Weinstein must have some pretty big legal bills.  Dogma is an asset that has a buyer.  This was back in 2019, but as the film rights have STILL not been sold to Smith, it looks like Dogma is going to be locked in film library purgatory. 

6 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

:whatthe:

Who the hell were they talking too?  We watched it last night on HBOMax (kiddo's wanted to see it), and it was horrible.  HORRIBLE!

I'd have been well and truly pissed if I had paid $50 to take the fam to this at a theater.

Also whoever keeps casting Chloe Grace Mortez in movies needs to be shot.  

5 hours ago, Katrina Ortiz said:

I found the videos on social media to be really rich, especially with the funny sound especially. I have also tried downloading some sounds at aqui and found them to be great. create a good video to add to funny clips for the movies you create.

Darling Ohayo – Hot Tiktok.gif

1 hour ago, Rufus Lambert said:

I have watched a lot of good, interesting, funny movies and I filtered the passages that viewers like the most to turn it into ringtones. and if you need you can Télécharger completely free. 

Minion.gif

32 minutes ago, SophieHernandez said:

Do you like minions? me too it's great to have the same interests. Awesome Descargar minion sounds for free

minions 2.gif

You three should get together and upgrade my kitchen cabinets. It's good, solid work. :banana:

Walt Disney gets all the credit for creating Mickey Mouse, but it was actually his best friend Ub Iwerks who first brought the iconic character to life in 1928.

Kansas City takes a lot of pride in being the place where Walt Disney started his first animation studio and created his first cartoon characters.

But here's the thing: Walt Disney didn’t design Mickey Mouse. And the stories he told for years about how the iconic character came to be aren’t true.

To know the truth about Mickey Mouse and the secret to many of Walt Disney’s successes, you have to know the story of Disney's best friend: Kansas City animator Ub Iwerks. It was Iwerks, not Disney, who in 1928 designed Mickey Mouse and single-handedly animated the first Mickey cartoon in Hollywood.

The two originally met as teenagers, while working at the same Kansas City commercial art studio. Unlike Disney, Iwerks was born and raised in Kansas City. And from an early age, Iwerks was fascinated with the idea of bringing still images to life. It was his dad, a German immigrant, who first introduced him to film.

In addition to being a prolific animator, Iwerks was also the genius inventor behind Disney's greatest special effects. He is the one to thank for the iconic scenes in "Mary Poppins" and "Sleeping Beauty," in addition to Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds."

“He was the person who was doing most of the behind-the-scenes work. And when Walt was taking credit, Ub was the one who was denied credit,” says Jeff Ryan, author of “A Mouse Divided: How Ub Iwerks Became Forgotten, and Walt Disney Became Uncle Walt.”

download.thumb.png.e2b6f34a5ce361d2ea637e8707446f44.png