• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men TV show from Fox
2 2

228 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Gifted got a great review from USA Today.

Can we not change the Title to the "The Gifted" now instead of new X-Men show?

image.png.6d6b375e1b31be767c55b0705f3c783f.png

Unfortunately after one year the forum locks the earliest posts. Not allowing for a title edit.

THE GIFTED: Here's What Happened To The X-Men And Brotherhood Of Evil Mutants In The TV Series

Brotherhood.jpg

"The X-Men are gone," says The Gifted showrunner Matt Nix in a new interview, confirming that the heroes were part of this world in the not too distant past. The team's role has been something we've all been wondering about for a while now and it turns out that the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants also existed before the events of the premiere so why are all these famous mutants M.I.A. from The Gifted?

Well, the obvious answer is because Fox doesn't wish to muddy the waters between their big and small screen X-Men related offerings but it turns out that there's a story reason of sorts for their absence.

"Most of the powerful classic mutants are not around. People don’t know where they’ve gone. They are shrouded in mystery. It comes out gradually over the course of the series that there’s been a cataclysmic event, a bit of a 9/11 event, that caused enormous social upheaval and a lot of hatred towards mutants. It’s somehow related to the disappearance of the X-Men and the Brotherhood."

2 hours ago, nearmint said:

Looking forward to this tonight.  Currently at 69% on RT and 60% on Metacritic.  Most common phrase in the reviews: "The Gifted is everything The Inhumans isn't."

:wishluck::wishluck:

USA TODAY Review: Fox's ‘The Gifted’ is a smart and exhilarating X-Men series

The Gifted is the kind of show you’d want to take with you on the run.

The new Fox series (Monday, 9 ET/PT) is set in the X-Men universe and follows a family with two mutant teens, fleeing from the government forces that want to lock them away. It’s a gripping and savvy series that carves out its own space in the cluttered comic-book TV landscape.

One of the best aspects of The Gifted is that creator Matt Nix (Burn Notice) fundamentally understands how to stage a thrilling action sequence, which many comic-book series struggle to do. It's a mix of veteran and new mutants offering different styles of fighting, gracefully combined with judiciously deployed special effects. A sequence involving creepy robots is particularly striking, utilizing both horror and action tropes.

The Gifted looks and feels different from other superhero series on TV, and Monday's premiere backs up that novelty with smart storytelling and strong characters.

OVERALL: 3.5/4.0 stars

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER 'The Gifted': TV Review

I've watched the pilot for The Gifted, the only episode made available to critics, multiple times and each time it's been after watching Marvel's Inhumans, so I don't know if The Gifted is good, but I'm sure it has a little heart, a little humor and that gives it a pretty huge advantage. If I'm doing comparisons, FX's tangentially related Legion is so far beyond any of these network shows in terms of aesthetic and conceptual difficulty that it's hardly worth mentioning in the same sentence. Again Fox's timing for The Gifted, which will air its entire first season between seasons of Legion, is perfect.

The Gifted gets points for including X-Men characters with some name recognition and for acknowledging its place within the bigger franchise. That, however, raises expectations, too, as does Singer's adroit work with a budget that no subsequent director is likely to have. Three or four effects-driven set pieces, including an unnerving climax with Sentinel robots more than balance out the soapy family moments. I have very little confidence that The Gifted will be able to achieve that balance in subsequent episodes, but I'll definitely be watching to find out, which is more than I can say for Marvel's Inhumans. It's all a matter of context.

14 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

It was OK, but there were too many improbables for me...like

Reveal hidden contents

how did they happen to have enough cash for the motels, etc with them?

I noticed that last hotel they were at they left without paying.  Not intentionally mind you, they were in a hurry.

Stan Lee's Cameo In 'The Gifted' Premiere Revealed

the-gifted-stan-lee-cameo-1027752-640x32

Lee’s cameo occurs when Eclipse (Sean Teale) is going to meet Reed Strucker (Stephen Moyer). Eclipse heads for the agreed upon meeting place, a bar called Tex’s Loung (the “T” and the “E” on the neon sign just happen to be out, so that it looks like it reads “X’s Lounge”).

As Eclipse goes to the front door of the establishment, he just happens to bump into an older gentleman on his way out, and that older gentleman just happens to be Stan “The Man” Lee.

In an interview on the set of The Gifted in Atlanta, actor Coby Bell, who plays Sentinel Services agent Jace Turner, told ComicBook.com that Lee’s cameo was not planned ahead of time. Lee just happened to be in Dallas, where the pilot episode of The Gifted was filmed.

“The Stan Lee thing was just luck,” Bell said. “He happened to be in Dallas. [Executive Producer Matt Nix and Producer Derek Hoffman] went to where he was and were like, ‘Hey man, we’re doing an X-Men TV show. Will you come and pop in? It happened in like a day...And he was like, ‘Sure!’ and he just came by and did it.”

'The Gifted' Premiere Has An 'X-Men: The Animated Series' Easter Egg

the-gifted-x-men-animated-series-easter-

The moments occurs during at scene at the mutant underground’s Atlanta hideout. Eclipse (Sean Teale) is talking to Blink (Jamie Chung) and trying to figure out a way to save his girlfriend, the mutant Polaris (Emma Dumont).

It is at that moment that Eclipse receives an unexpected call from Reed Strucker (Stephen Moyer). When Eclipse’s phone rings, it plays the instantly recognizable theme song from X-Men: The Animated Series. The song only plays briefly, but it should be enough to stir up nostalgia for any 1990s X-Men fan.

It wasn't bad.  Very watchable.  Not epic like Daredevil.  But I like most of the characters, other than Amy Acker (but I think they wrote her character kind of boring at least for the first ep) and the Light Mutant.

Stan Lee's appearance is so fast, if you turned around to grab a drink, you'd miss it. I wish he had put a little more into it. It must have been the $50K appearance rate versus the $150K appearance.

stanleegifted.jpg

QdhojGW.png

Edited by Bosco685

Finally saw it today and really liked it.  Definitely not as epic-feeling as the films, but it was enjoyable in almost the exact same way that "Heroes" was enjoyable the first season or so.

Does anyone fully understand the kids' powers?  The girl seems to have Sue Storm's powers, but I can't tell what the brother is doing.  Is it just telekinesis like Jean Grey but without her telepathic powers?