• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men TV show from Fox
2 2

228 posts in this topic

TV Ratings: 'The Gifted' and 'Supergirl' Hold Steady on Monday Night

Despite the crowded TV slate across network channels on Monday night, the evening's two superhero series managed to hold steady ratings, clearing up their trajectory for the rest of the season.

Supergirl aired a new episode on The CW at 8 p.m. ET, going up against a solid slate of CBS sitcoms, The Voice and Dancing with the Stars. Even in the face of competition, Supergirl stayed steady with 1.86 million viewers, posting a 0.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic. The episode was followed by freshman military series Valor (1.2 mil/0.3), which also held its numbers.

Fox's X-Men series The Gifted (3.4 mil/1.1) was steady from last week, even though it had a solid lead-in from Lucifer (3.7 mil/1.1) which saw a slight rise.

Excellent episode last night. Humans using their Hounds to keep government entities from interfering in Sentinel plans was interesting.

And now Trask Industries comes into the picture. There's your association with X-Men: Days of Future Past.

:ohnoez:

'The Gifted': Skyler Samuels Cast In Recurring Role

the-gifted-skyler-samuels-esme-1059415-6

Actress Skyler Samuels is going from scream queen to mutant.

Samuels has been cast in a “key recurring role’ on The Gifted, according to Deadline. The report describes Samuels’ character as “a refugee mutant with telepathic abilities and a mysterious past.”

Given The Gifted’s use of the Hounds and how the show seems to, overall, be on the path to the dystopian future of “Days of Future Past,” one may think that Samuels could be playing Rachel Summers. However, the synopsis for the show’s next episode, “threat of eXtinction,” has her listed as a character named “Esme.”

The name Esme combined with the telepathic mutant abilities seems to suggest that Samuels is playing Esme Cuckoo, one of the telepathic “children” of Emma Frost, one of the most powerful mutant telepaths in the Marvel Universe.

'The Gifted' Introduces Two Big 'New X-Men' Easter Eggs

the-gifted-esme-1059948-640x320.jpg

Last night’s episode of The Gifted, “threat of eXtinction,” introduced two key elements New X-Men, Grant Morrison’s divisive and franchise-redefining early-2000s retooling of the X-Men.

Two things that Morrison did during his run on New X-Men was to introduce several new, young, and weird mutants and update the mutant concept to reflect how counterculture had changed in the years since the idea was conceived of by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. Both of those moves by Morrison were on display in “threat of eXtinction.”

Skyler Samuels was cast in The Gifted as Esme, a telepathic mutant who appears to be the television version of Esme Cuckoo, a character that Morrison created in New X-Men. For now, Esme is only described as a telepathic with a mysterious past.

In the Marvel Universe, Esme Cuckoo was one of a set of quintuplets with a telepathic hive mind referred to as the Stepford Cuckoos who were later revealed to be clones of Emma Frost created by the same project that gave Wolverine his adamantium. However, before any of that was discovered, Esme became part of a bad crowd of students at the Xavier Institute who ended up becoming a new iteration of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

I saw last Monday's episode today...best one yet.  That plot twist with Reed Strucker being a mutant who was "cured" of the X-gene as a child and his kids ended up having the same powers as their great-grandparents was a REALLY good one.  :applause:

Edited by fantastic_four

'The Gifted' X-Men Connection Will Be Explored in the Season 1 Finale

the-gifed-x-men-1063239-640x320.jpg

X-Men fans should expect big things from the two-hour season finale of The Gifted.

Earlier in the show’s first season, a scene revealed that the X-Men had chosen Thunderbird to help lead the Mutant Underground, confirming that the Mutant Underground wasn’t just a separate organization with similar goals, but a group that was seemingly put in place for a purpose just before the X-Men disappeared.

ComicBook.com spoke with The Gifted star Emma Dumont, who plays Polaris, the founder of the Mutant Underground’s Atlanta cell, and asked if this was a mystery that would be further addressed this season or if eager fans would have to wait until further down the road (assuming The Gifted is renewed). Dumont had good news.

“That's definitely something for this season,” she said. “It's actually something for the finale. Yeah, the X-Men, for many episodes we kept saying, ‘The X-Men chose us, the X-Men chose us.’ We find out now, the X-Men specifically chose Lorna and Johnny, Thunderbird and Polaris. They chose them. I don't know if it's because of their lineage, or if they have had their powers for a long time. You know, yeah, maybe their family histories, I'm not sure, but they chose them for some reason. Thunderbird had an easy time with it. He accepted the role of leader. He's from the military, he knows what it's like to lead, he knows what it's like to save lives.”

The burden of leadership weighs heavier or Lorna, as Dumont explained.

“Lorna, however, had spent her whole life being shamed, being told she was different, or bad, in many different ways,” she said. “She has a mental illness, she has a hard time with authority, she's a mutant, she's all these things that are bad, no, wrong. Her father abandoned her, and her parents passed, her foster family abandoned her. There was so much she was shamed for, so it was harder for her to accept a leadership position, and we kind of see more of that towards the end of the season, which is really cool.”

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:24 AM, Bosco685 said:

'Fenris', 'Hellfire Club', 'X-Men' - they are definitely plugging all the right references.

Yeah, I noticed this too.

I thought last night's episode was great, although one thing that's taken some getting used to for me is Amy Acker's character. I so strongly associate her with the total badass she was as root on POI that seeing her be so helpless and constrained by her environment feels strange . . . but then I remind myself this is a different show and she's playing a different character. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing Mama Strucker kick some serious_ass though, maybe in just one episode :luhv:.

Edited by Antpark
filterz

1 hour ago, Antpark said:

I thought last night's episode was great, although one thing that's taken some getting used to for me is Amy Acker's character.

She's my least favorite character on the show. I think she sucks. Just tired of all the "Oh no, my kids!" . Let them fight!

23 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:
2 hours ago, Antpark said:

I thought last night's episode was great, although one thing that's taken some getting used to for me is Amy Acker's character.

She's my least favorite character on the show. I think she sucks. Just tired of all the "Oh no, my kids!" . Let them fight!

I agree she's probably my least favorite, but I think she's a necessary vehicle.  She's the 'straight' man, the normal human in a crazy world where all she wants to do is take of her kids, which is important.  The show is ultimately supposed to be about family, and she's the glue.  And she's been even more isolated due to her husband's 'status'.

If this show IS successful, I wouldn't mind them doing a prequel spinoff (at some point) about the Hellfire Club set in the 50's/60's (before the events of Xmen First Class).  It could be set in London or NYC (Were the Fenris's in Europe or America?).  Kind of like how Peggy Carter was supposed to run limited with nods to Agents of Shield and Captain America.

Or I wouldn't mind them going Godfather 2 style and just have a whole season full of Fenris flashbacks along side the current story.  The degree of difficulty and budget is higher, but it could be pretty sweet.

Also, is it just me, or is there an EXTREMELY high percentage of good looking people in the cast? 

11 minutes ago, revat said:

I agree she's probably my least favorite, but I think she's a necessary vehicle.  She's the 'straight' man, the normal human in a crazy world where all she wants to do is take of her kids, which is important.  The show is ultimately supposed to be about family, and she's the glue.  And she's been even more isolated due to her husband's 'status'.

If this show IS successful, I wouldn't mind them doing a prequel spinoff (at some point) about the Hellfire Club set in the 50's/60's (before the events of Xmen First Class).  It could be set in London or NYC (Were the Fenris's in Europe or America?).  Kind of like how Peggy Carter was supposed to run limited with nods to Agents of Shield and Captain America.

Or I wouldn't mind them going Godfather 2 style and just have a whole season full of Fenris flashbacks along side the current story.  The degree of difficulty and budget is higher, but it could be pretty sweet.

Also, is it just me, or is there an EXTREMELY high percentage of good looking people in the cast? 

They had it in the works. Then the network decided just to go with the one show.

I really would have loved to see that early period Hellfire Club.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:
3 hours ago, revat said:

They had it in the works. Then the network decided just to go with the one show.

I really would have loved to see that early period Hellfire Club.

Same here.

On 12/6/2017 at 3:28 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

I cringe every time she comes on screen...everything that comes out of her mouth is nagging or cornball cheese with an extra helping of cheese on top.  :sick:

I'm surprised how much I like this show - I thought it would be a tedious family drama (a mutant version of Fear the Walking Dead) but it's been really good so far.

It is a shame Amy Acker is wasted in such a passive role.

14 hours ago, Comicopolis said:

It is a shame Amy Acker is wasted in such a passive role.

Yea, she seems good, but the character is just annoying as hell.  Whoever thought in the writer's room "let's do X-Men, but with their parents around to constantly nag them about safety" needs a swift kick to the nards.  :mad:  But I do like the show overall.