• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
8 8

4,504 posts in this topic

This one is cool. 1940's Quaker Puffed Wheat Sparkies box offering the Terry and the Pirates Gold Dector Ring. What kid wouldn't want one of these? This box is complete and very nice shape. Condition is not an issue if you collect these fellas so when you find a nice one you've scored!

cboxterrypirates1_zpskz9yoar3.jpg

cboxterrypirates2_zpsztvslpgu.jpg

It's been a crazy WonderCon, Flea Market, Easter weekend but I'm back. Had fun at the con. Got to chat with Hap Hazard and Sacentaur a bit. I was supposed to meet up with the legendary Mitch but got an urgent work call and had to leave early on Sat.

My observations. A little thinner on dealers. No Terry, Bud Plant, or Richie Munchen but still some nice out of state dealers. Had to pass on High Grade and Greg Reese (no GA to speak of). I don't usually buy much from Harley but actually got a few from him. Had fun hanging out with Redbeard who I don't see much. Spent most of my dough with Ted of Superworld, Jamie Graham, A-1 and Saul of Oddesy. All good guys with a nice selection of affordable accuarately graded and priced books. I kept going back and buying more since there wasn't as much at this show. A few smaller guys as well. Thanks guys, I appreciate you all being there!

It was hard to find stuff I really wanted bad. (MLJ, Ace, Prize, Catman, Nedor) are my focus right now. I was willing to "man-up" but the selection of that stuff just wasn't there. I was able to get the last issues I needed of a couple pre-code horror titles, Marvel Tales and Mystic. A few Timelys, DC's a cool Planet, some Baker romance and a couple of ACG weird romance. Otherwise a real mix of all other genres and titles. Had to work HARD to get them but overall very satisfied. I found I could really do this show in one day if I had to. I like to socialize after I'm done picking and still found time to do that as well. I feel very fortunate to have a show like this in my back yard. I know a lot of you guys have way smaller shows in your area so I am not complaining. A fun couple of days. I've got a nice pile on the table to go through and will post my finds for you in the next couple of days as I get some time.

Congrats on a great show Bob! Wish I could have been there to geek out with you

Perhaps San Diego? :wishluck:

Yeah, we gotta meet face to tin one of these days! Probably not at San Diego though. Too hard to get in, too expensive and the crowds just kick my butt. I haven't gone for the past two years after going to all of them byt 4 I think. I'm OK with it. Plus it is about the same time as the Portland Expo Antique Show. I go with my wife because she is an antique dealer. I always find a ton of stuff including always a decent load of old comics cheap. Best indoor antique show in the country!

Yeah, we gotta meet face to tin one of these days! Probably not at San Diego though. Too hard to get in, too expensive and the crowds just kick my butt. I haven't gone for the past two years after going to all of them byt 4 I think. I'm OK with it. Plus it is about the same time as the Portland Expo Antique Show. I go with my wife because she is an antique dealer. I always find a ton of stuff including always a decent load of old comics cheap. Best indoor antique show in the country!

:cry:

Maybe one of the AZ shows next year?

Hey Ciorac I am still stuck on Chicago :headbang: Thanks.

I will be there for sure :)

I will be there for sure :)

O you are there now :devil:

C'mon, you're Robot-Man! Anyone kicks your butt's gonna end up with a sore toe or worse. bender-dance.gif

I agree with bob thin on material at wonder con... Very high prices on orig art also.... In some respects much more a comic con than San diego.... But material wise it not by a mile

Looking forward to another SDCC (my one-stop candy store for high grade comics, art, parties & get-togethers with friends). We've lined up our housing and travel (gotta do it early for this'n).

You psyched yet, Mitch? :banana:

OK, here is what Robot Man scored at WonderCon. I was looking for MLJ, Ace, Prize, Catman and some oddball GA books preferably in nice shape. This is the better stuff I got. I'm not unhappy because I filled some holes and got some cool stuff but was just a little disapointed with the dealer turnout. I mostly bought from A1, Ted at Superworld (always fun to see Ted), Jamie Graham (he grows on you) and Saul from Oddesy Comics (always has a good selection of unusual GA at great prices). I also like the "little" dealers that get lost in the shuffle. I got some good deals from them as well.

Low grade but I've always wanted one and Jamie Graham made it VERY affordable

comallwinners1_zpscamw49ag.jpg