• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

There was no Tales of Terror Annual #1. It wasn't until about 30 years later when I got this one from one of Gary Moondog's first ebay auctions. I had probably seen one other copy in all those years so I had to have it! Then I noticed the contents:Crypt of Terror #17 (#1), Haunt of Fear #15 (#1), Tales from the Crypt #20 (#1) and Weird Science #13 (#2)! These annuals were put together randomly from unsold copies so what are the odds of these great contents? It was one of the highest amounts I'd ever paid for a book (I laugh now) but I wasn't getting away from me. I almost think the other bidders didn't read the description of the contents but I was thrilled. I right away got emails from the two lower bidders asking if I would sell it to them for a small profit. Really? Were they kidding? Have had it ever since and is one of my top five favorite books in my collection.

Thanks again Gary. It has found a good home for as long as I'm around!

comtalesofterror1_zpsdmoluql6.jpg

Great story Robot Man. Can you remember the guy's name or is it too many years ago?

As to the premiums, they are terrific. It's very satisfying to see what the actual item is, versus its advertisement in the funny pages.

Thanks a lot for the effort (thumbs u <--- the good one

I used to have a big collection of Zeppelin stuff. Sold it all off in a moment of weakness. Have always liked them. A few years ago in one of the Brimfield fields I found this nice large Metal Craft one from the '30's. It was just parts in a box. It apeared pretty complete so I chanced $25. on it and took it home. Had a lot of fun re-building it and to my surprise, found it complete except for the end tip piece. Love the "steam punk", art deco look and the colors.

zeppelinorange_zps168ah0ka.jpg

I'm a Zeppelin fan from years back. I became enamored with them in high school and did screen prints, made 8 mm movies and devoured whatever material I could find. Our fanzine was even published under the Zeppelin Publications name.

I don't know why I caught this bug but it might have been the stories my Grandmother told of caring for the burn victims from the Hindenburg disaster. We grew up about 20 miles north of Lakehurst and victims were taken to the hospital where my Grandmother worked in Neptune, New Jersey.

I've never owned one of these models; maybe someday.

How about any Shucco monorails Robot Man; that seems up your alley!

There was no Tales of Terror Annual #1. It wasn't until about 30 years later when I got this one from one of Gary Moondog's first ebay auctions. I had probably seen one other copy in all those years so I had to have it! Then I noticed the contents:Crypt of Terror #17 (#1), Haunt of Fear #15 (#1), Tales from the Crypt #20 (#1) and Weird Science #13 (#2)! These annuals were put together randomly from unsold copies so what are the odds of these great contents? It was one of the highest amounts I'd ever paid for a book (I laugh now) but I wasn't getting away from me. I almost think the other bidders didn't read the description of the contents but I was thrilled. I right away got emails from the two lower bidders asking if I would sell it to them for a small profit. Really? Were they kidding? Have had it ever since and is one of my top five favorite books in my collection.

Thanks again Gary. It has found a good home for as long as I'm around!

comtalesofterror1_zpsdmoluql6.jpg

Great story about the garage, Bob. Amazing that the stuff was all gone when you returned - almost like it was never really there... And nothing makes me happier to see comics I've sold over the years still making people happy!

Great story Robot Man. Can you remember the guy's name or is it too many years ago?

As to the premiums, they are terrific. It's very satisfying to see what the actual item is, versus its advertisement in the funny pages.

Thanks a lot for the effort (thumbs u <--- the good one

No I can't remember the guy's name any more. I can still picture him and will NEVER forget what I saw in that garage. I've always hoped it didn't just get trashed.

Here is a Buck Rogers Sonic Ray Gun from 1953 in original box with papers. I love the graphics all around it. The list of "features" is also fun.

buckrogerssonicraygun1a_zps396uxw82.jpg

buckrogerssonicraygun2a_zpsbfk3b04e.jpg

buckrogerssonicraygun3a_zpshocg8cwn.jpg

buckrogerssonicraygun4a_zpstd7k3ps4.jpg

What a fantastic item! :applause:

The toy's feature's blurb is priceless.

The "Atomic Power" fixation was still going strong

The description reminds me of an old "Mad Magazine" article that described ordinary household objects with similarly ridiculous "features". A toothpick had an "all natural, wood-based finish" and "gently tapered, gum friendly interface areas".

Or some such. I am sure you get the idea.

[font:Arial Black]The Doc Savage Stamper is killer and extremely rare!.

Put out for a short period of time by Street & Smith in 1934.

Along with yours, I have one in my collection, and know of only 2 others.

The Stamper, the Doc Savage Cystex sign, and the Doc Savage Medallion are the top Doc Savage collectibles.

Dwight[/font]

It's been a crazy WonderCon, Flea Market, Easter weekend but I'm back. Had fun at the con. Got to chat with Hap Hazard and Sacentaur a bit. I was supposed to meet up with the legendary Mitch but got an urgent work call and had to leave early on Sat.

My observations. A little thinner on dealers. No Terry, Bud Plant, or Richie Munchen but still some nice out of state dealers. Had to pass on High Grade and Greg Reese (no GA to speak of). I don't usually buy much from Harley but actually got a few from him. Had fun hanging out with Redbeard who I don't see much. Spent most of my dough with Ted of Superworld, Jamie Graham, A-1 and Saul of Oddesy. All good guys with a nice selection of affordable accuarately graded and priced books. I kept going back and buying more since there wasn't as much at this show. A few smaller guys as well. Thanks guys, I appreciate you all being there!

It was hard to find stuff I really wanted bad. (MLJ, Ace, Prize, Catman, Nedor) are my focus right now. I was willing to "man-up" but the selection of that stuff just wasn't there. I was able to get the last issues I needed of a couple pre-code horror titles, Marvel Tales and Mystic. A few Timelys, DC's a cool Planet, some Baker romance and a couple of ACG weird romance. Otherwise a real mix of all other genres and titles. Had to work HARD to get them but overall very satisfied. I found I could really do this show in one day if I had to. I like to socialize after I'm done picking and still found time to do that as well. I feel very fortunate to have a show like this in my back yard. I know a lot of you guys have way smaller shows in your area so I am not complaining. A fun couple of days. I've got a nice pile on the table to go through and will post my finds for you in the next couple of days as I get some time.

So, since I am OD'd on comics, I'd show something different today.

Vintage cereal boxes. I love these and actively search them out. I've got quite a few over the years. These were not ment to be kept. Who would hang on to them? I like them because I collect premiums and these had ads and offers on them for the cool little devices a showed a while back. The ultimate to a premium collector is to have the device in mailer with papers and the cereal box that offered them. There are also VERY hard to find and a nice challenge.

Here is a Quaker Oats cannister type that offered the Roy Rogers Branding Iron ring from about 1949.

cboxroy_zpsopxvryxn.jpg