• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Icomgivemars1_zpswbewqr6h.jpg

Cool comics. :applause:

Regarding the adult ticket prices: 33 cents plus 7 cents tax!!!

Sales tax was 20% back then?

Used to be a 20% federal excise tax on movie theater proceeds. I believe it was repealed in the 50's.

Wow, you learn something new everyday...thanks for sharing.

Icomgivemars1_zpswbewqr6h.jpg

Cool comics. :applause:

Regarding the adult ticket prices: 33 cents plus 7 cents tax!!!

Sales tax was 20% back then?

Used to be a 20% federal excise tax on movie theater proceeds. I believe it was repealed in the 50's.

Dang! Looks like the Congressmen from Southern California didn't have enough clout in those days. :D

Thanks for the knowledgeable response. :)

Longshot, but as it IS a knowledgeable response, does anybody know of any reference books re the movie theater industry of the 1930s?

There is some fascinating stuff about giveaways and prize lotteries... lots of legal wrangling and industry back and forth about putting a stop to it -- which explains what they were trying to do with Motion Picture Funnies Weekly (cheap alternative), but I have basically been reading through film industry mags of the era trying to piece it together.

Working backwards in the thread...

See if your...

...dirty little mind finds something "interesting"...
...with any of these. One is a coloring book, not a comic. Just remember, it's all in your mind. ;)

154090.jpg.f6e7294a53199d79b2206e9efca79eab.jpg

154091.jpg.795c4bc1371beb4952b26103f93ffaec.jpg

154092.jpg.cff858881891605b0610228bd6d65e8e.jpg

154093.jpg.6ef2c9dd86994eeab6bdda411babaf4c.jpg

154094.jpg.f1c1bef8fcec6710ddf3fb53f4826cfb.jpg

Working backwards in the thread...

See if your...

...dirty little mind finds something "interesting"...
...with any of these. One is a coloring book, not a comic. Just remember, it's all in your mind. ;)

These are great Boot! I especially like the Andy Preston. Today that would happen because someone would be looking at a cell phone...

Looks like we got similar tastes.

I used to have a big collection of Zeppelin stuff. Sold it all off in a moment of weakness. Have always liked them. A few years ago in one of the Brimfield fields I found this nice large Metal Craft one from the '30's. It was just parts in a box. It apeared pretty complete so I chanced $25. on it and took it home. Had a lot of fun re-building it and to my surprise, found it complete except for the end tip piece. Love the "steam punk", art deco look and the colors.

zeppelinorange_zps168ah0ka.jpg

Then lo and behold, I found this beast. Pressed steel Steel Craft Zeppelin on wheels. It is about 2 feet long and fully complete. Has a hole in front where you would attach a string to drag it around. Just like the one in "Christmas Story". The only two zeppelin pieces I have right now but who knows?

zeppelinsilver_zpsvtexaitx.jpg