• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Well, it's Mothers Day. If you are lucky to still have one, give her a call or better yet, go over and give her a hug! We are going to have a little BBQ over here at the Robot junk pile this afternoon. Enjoy your day!

I took my kid's Mom to the junk show this morning and lookie what I got. 1932 Betty Boop puzzle set. You just don't see early Betty stuff like this very often.

bettybooppuzzles_zpsju76j6dp.jpg

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Well, it's Mothers Day. If you are lucky to still have one, give her a call or better yet, go over and give her a hug! We are going to have a little BBQ over here at the Robot junk pile this afternoon. Enjoy your day!

I took my kid's Mom to the junk show this morning and lookie what I got. 1932 Betty Boop puzzle set. You just don't see early Betty stuff like this very often.

Very cool!

Betty Boop used to be so popular but her character merchandise is difficult to find today, especially great pieces like this puzzle box with its contents.  Robot Man has done it again!  Nobody works harder at finding this stuff and he has certainly earned the right to be rewarded now and then.  Great find!

4 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

Betty Boop used to be so popular but her character merchandise is difficult to find today, especially great pieces like this puzzle box with its contents.  Robot Man has done it again!  Nobody works harder at finding this stuff and he has certainly earned the right to be rewarded now and then.  Great find!

I was in Brussels last week, and was surprised to see tons of Betty Boop merchandise. The comic shop windows were full of figurines and statues, they're really into her there. I was expecting TinTin and the Smurfs (lots of that too) but was taken aback at Betty's current popularity. 

On 5/14/2017 at 0:28 PM, Robot Man said:

My lady loves this!

I told her I'd get her one if I EVER found it lol

Seems all the ladies love Betty Jimmers. My wife has said that when I go to the big junk show in the sky, she might keep my vintage Betty Boop and Felix stuff. The other stuff, she would just as soon kick to the curb...

Betty Boop is still real popular. They have been making new stuff for years. I ONLY collect the 1930's era stuff though and it's pretty hard to find.

bettyboopwatch_zps0ytaj6aw.jpg

Was looking through a nice pile of Timely and DC coverless GA books that Mr. Bedrock was so kind to bring to me at WonderCon. They kind of got buried in a pile so I hadn't read them yet. Well, last night was the night.

One was this one. Young Allies #10 from Summer 1943. In addition to a great house ad for All Select #1, I ran into this ad. Apparently, brass and copper was needed for the war effort so the club was forced to fold. Bucky was pimping the purchase of a war stamp with that dime instead. Now, I'm as patriotic as the next guy, but I think my dime might have gone to that fat, glossy copy of All Select instead...

captmaericaad_zpsvtvbecoq.jpg

54 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Was looking through a nice pile of Timely and DC coverless GA books that Mr. Bedrock was so kind to bring to me at WonderCon. They kind of got buried in a pile so I hadn't read them yet. Well, last night was the night.

One was this one. Young Allies #10 from Summer 1943. In addition to a great house ad for All Select #1, I ran into this ad. Apparently, brass and copper was needed for the war effort so the club was forced to fold. Bucky was pimping the purchase of a war stamp with that dime instead. Now, I'm as patriotic as the next guy, but I think my dime might have gone to that fat, glossy copy of All Select instead...

captmaericaad_zpsvtvbecoq.jpg

Very cool! Thanks much for posting. In a different way, but this bears resemblance to the campaigns we had in Italy after 1940 (including the famous request to spouses to give their wedding ring).

I would love to find coverless copies of Timely books… Unlikely from here!

There is at least one round pinback, 1 1/4 inches in diameter, that looks like the one in the ad but in color.  There is also a shield with that image that is 5/8 inches wide and one inch long from the top to the bottom tip of the shield.  Variations undoubtedly exist.

There are three variations. First one was 1-1/2" and had a blue rim. Then the one seen in the ad and last was a thin celluloid shield. First one is pretty rare. The other two are fairly attainable. By, the way, in this picture is the only other MLJ premium pinback I know of. Rang-A-Tang the Wonder Dog from Blue Ribbon Comics (pre Mr. Justice). I often wished they did a Mr. Justice pin instead...

shieldgmanstuff_zpsb07e6155.jpg

Robot,

circa what year is that Card? I ask since Olga was born in 1910. I am always curious to know how old were the folks sending in / signing up for the Clubs. I find that many we can trace are in their later teens rather than their early teens as once might suspect from our looking back at these.

13 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

Robot,

circa what year is that Card? I ask since Olga was born in 1910. I am always curious to know how old were the folks sending in / signing up for the Clubs. I find that many we can trace are in their later teens rather than their early teens as once might suspect from our looking back at these.

Not exactly sure since it's not dated but around 1941 would be a solid guess. Sounds like she would be an adult. Most of the pulp premiums seem to be aimed at adults but the comic book clubs generally seem to be a younger audience.

That's an interesting point differentiating the age group target across Pulp and Comics premium. Makes sense given the level of "literacy" required. Thanks.

I am always surprised that "older" people would send for the comics premium but that would be a sign of the times with fewer people continuing education than today.

1 hour ago, Scrooge said:

That's an interesting point differentiating the age group target across Pulp and Comics premium. Makes sense given the level of "literacy" required. Thanks.

I am always surprised that "older" people would send for the comics premium but that would be a sign of the times with fewer people continuing education than today.

Or maybe she meant to sign up one of her kids and her name ended up on the card? hm

16 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Here's some of the stuff the older pulp folks could send away for...

pulppremiumgroup_zpsxn06iijm.jpg

Wow. Very cool, Robot Man. I've never seen the Phantom pin, and that Pete Rice badge must be dang scarce as well. It appears I've been chasing after those EMPTY antique cigar boxes all these years when I should've been buying them full, considering that's where stuff like this likely resided for a half century. :wink:

The Phantom pin is from Phantom Detective. Probably the hardest one of these to find. Closely followed by the G-Man Club. I have only seen a couple of either of these. The Pete Rice badge does turn up from time to time as does the Air Adventures wings badge. Of special note, the Nick Carter badges have different backs. One is the usual pin and the other is a lapel stud. Stud is MUCH harder to find and as an added bonus, it is serial number 45! The two biggies missing here are the Operator 5 and Spider Rings. I have the Spider but never the Operator 5.

pulpphantomdetoct_zpsccgioadj.jpg

pulpgman2_zpsc89b9f31.jpg

pulpshadowsilver_zps1hmxjzrd.jpg

pulpdocsavagemarch1938_zps9hsh5qyb.jpg