• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Hey Kids! Comics! Today, I will feature some more obscure horror type comics. Not the usual stuff but some more "fringe" areas of the genre.

comrolypoly_zps43113ce7.jpg

Paul Reinman was pretty tame when working for DC but he made some gruesome splash pages for MLJ.

15692757263_d82ba0d1cb_c.jpg

Thanks for posting this BB. Many people just care only about the covers and tend to not pay much attention to the inside. Reinman did some cool material for the Hangman and Black Hood for MLJ.

"The Drawer Liner" Many years ago a friend of mine went back to the east coast to visit his dad. His dad was a "picker" long before the TV show. In those pre-ebay days a picker was a middle man. He picked items from the original source and sold wholesale them to antique dealers. While visiting his dad he was given this book with the instructions to "give it to your friend who love funny books" When my friend gave it to me I was shocked.I had never owned a single digit Batman. I said I couldn't just take it because it was worth a lot of money. He called his dad and handed me the phone. His dad said. "I was cleaning out an old house and this was in a drawer in an old dresser". He called it a "drawer liner" with some distain. He said he was going to throw it away but thought of me. He said he didn't care if it had any value and if I wanted it, it was mine. I told him how much I appreciated it and would give it a good home. It has been in my box for years and I will always treasure it!

combatman7_zpsc84cf88c.jpg

My favorite pulp magazine. This is one twisted issue. The guy with the branding iron picks up homeless people off the streets and "disables" them. (not the people in the background). He then makes them go out on the streets and pan handles for him. Very disturbing story. One of the few pulps I have actually read as I collect them mainly for the covers. I have also read some Spiders that are pretty wild. I would love to find a nice copy of this but have no luck in many years of searching...

pulpstrangedetective_zps02736d64.jpg

"The Drawer Liner" Many years ago a friend of mine went back to the east coast to visit his dad. His dad was a "picker" long before the TV show. In those pre-ebay days a picker was a middle man. He picked items from the original source and sold wholesale them to antique dealers. While visiting his dad he was given this book with the instructions to "give it to your friend who love funny books" When my friend gave it to me I was shocked.I had never owned a single digit Batman. I said I couldn't just take it because it was worth a lot of money. He called his dad and handed me the phone. His dad said. "I was cleaning out an old house and this was in a drawer in an old dresser". He called it a "drawer liner" with some distain. He said he was going to throw it away but thought of me. He said he didn't care if it had any value and if I wanted it, it was mine. I told him how much I appreciated it and would give it a good home. It has been in my box for years and I will always treasure it!

If only my drawers were lined with "GOLD"!!

Great story ?

My first old toy purchase. Bought at the Rose Bowl flea market when I was 12. My mom was with me but made me spend my own money. I have never seen annother one with Flash Gordon markings. I have seen this a few times but without the Flash Gordon markings.

flashgordonspaceport_zpsa7c80957.jpg

That is Great! Wow.

My favorite pulp magazine. This is one twisted issue. The guy with the branding iron picks up homeless people off the streets and "disables" them. (not the people in the background). He then makes them go out on the streets and pan handles for him. Very disturbing story. One of the few pulps I have actually read as I collect them mainly for the covers. I have also read some Spiders that are pretty wild. I would love to find a nice copy of this but have no luck in many years of searching...

There's a cool Tim Powers' novel called Anubis Gates where a terrible clown named Horribin keeps a beggar army that he disfigures for more money in 1800s London. Not to lay down a spoiler on you if you haven't heard of the book, but it turns out Horribin was the child of a beggar king and he was disfigured by his own father! Pretty creepy. But there was a wild sequence where poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge is overdosed with Laudanum and he wakes up early and finds himself down in Horribin's dungeon interacting with all of his "mistakes". Love that novel!

My first old toy purchase. Bought at the Rose Bowl flea market when I was 12. My mom was with me but made me spend my own money. I have never seen annother one with Flash Gordon markings. I have seen this a few times but without the Flash Gordon markings.

flashgordonspaceport_zpsa7c80957.jpg

Now that's what I am taking about...never seen it before in 50 years of collecting..this by far is the best thead of the year....keep it up

Hey Kids! Comics! Today, I will feature some more obscure horror type comics. Not the usual stuff but some more "fringe" areas of the genre.

Paul Reinman was pretty tame when working for DC but he made some gruesome splash pages for MLJ.

Thanks for posting this BB. Many people just care only about the covers and tend to not pay much attention to the inside. Reinman did some cool material for the Hangman and Black Hood for MLJ.

I don't see any work on Hangman but did find Reinman art for Bentley of Scotland Yard (Pep 32 above) and Fireball in Pep. George Storm (the creator) did that very odd early work on Hangman and King did some work in the middle. Fuje did a lot of great work on Hangman before Archie chased him away.

Sounds creepy like this. I will have to see if I can find a copy. Thanks for the tip.

There's a cool Tim Powers' novel called Anubis Gates where a terrible clown named Horribin keeps a beggar army that he disfigures for more money in 1800s London. Not to lay down a spoiler on you if you haven't heard of the book, but it turns out Horribin was the child of a beggar king and he was disfigured by his own father! Pretty creepy. But there was a wild sequence where poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge is overdosed with Laudanum and he wakes up early and finds himself down in Horribin's dungeon interacting with all of his "mistakes". Love that novel!

I'm sure you are right. I like Fuje a lot too. There is lots of creepy horror stuff in MLJs!

I don't see any work on Hangman but did find Reinman art for Bentley of Scotland Yard (Pep 32 above) and Fireball in Pep. George Storm (the creator) did that very odd early work on Hangman and King did some work in the middle. Fuje did a lot of great work on Hangman before Archie chased him away.

OK, Here is the King of the Robots! His name is Big Loo and he stands about 4 feet tall. Made by Marx toys. He was sold only for a couple monthis in 1962 by Sears at Christmas. Many lucky kids got this from Santa. He has a million actions, talks, eyes light up, walks, arms move, shoots darts and balls from his hands. Has morse cose and sends messages and has a compass in his base. Probably more but that is all I can think at the moment. On a lot of want lists and real hard to find complete and working! I give you Big Loo King of the Robots!

biglou_zps4db0b445.jpg

An odd group of Comic Book buttons. I love the "Garry Dillion Clean Comics Club" pin. The Tip Top Comics Booster isn't real interesting but it is from the late 1930's and quite scarce. The Air Warden Cadet is from the Bill Barnes comic. Polly Pigtails is kinda lame but I got it cheap and had to have it for my comic book premium collection. I don't know who Rocky Starr is. I think an Austrailian comic book.

comicbookmiscpins_zps2352fe4e.jpg

I don't know who Rocky Starr is. I think an Austrailian comic book.

That didn't ring a bell. There was a very good Australian comic called Silver Starr, but Rocky doesn't appear in the index of either standard reference on Australian comics. But I did find this via a Google search on the image:

Rocky Starr-Destination Venus (AUS) - All-otr.com

www.all-otr.com/R010a_RockyStarr.htm

250 × 250 - Rocky Starr-Destination Venus (AUS). This is an Australian children's show about the interplanetary adventures of daredevil Rocky Starr and his intrepid team.

So I searched the television database at the National Film and Sound Archive, and found this entry:

Title No: 714742

Title: ROCKY STAR

Production Date: 1 January 1992

Produced as: Series

Media: Television

Summary: Satirical black and white TV series produced in 1992 which reinterprets the 1950's radio drama series Rocky Starr. Rocky Star (Richard Morsley), Mitch Morgan ( Stephen Fearnley) and Diana Moore ( Kerry Fox) return to earth which is being terrorised by evil alien Zog. Screened on SBS. 20 episodes of 5 minutes duration.

Country of Origin: Australia

Language: English

The radio database had more - apparently Rocky ran for over 600 episodes.

So now we know. :cool: