• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

OK, Here is the King of the Robots! His name is Big Loo and he stands about 4 feet tall. Made by Marx toys. He was sold only for a couple monthis in 1962 by Sears at Christmas. Many lucky kids got this from Santa. He has a million actions, talks, eyes light up, walks, arms move, shoots darts and balls from his hands. Has morse cose and sends messages and has a compass in his base. Probably more but that is all I can think at the moment. On a lot of want lists and real hard to find complete and working! I give you Big Loo King of the Robots!

biglou_zps4db0b445.jpg

Incredible in that shape, complete and working!

Thanks AJD I thought it was from down under. I believe I got it on eBay.

I don't know who Rocky Starr is. I think an Austrailian comic book.

That didn't ring a bell. There was a very good Australian comic called Silver Starr, but Rocky doesn't appear in the index of either standard reference on Australian comics. But I did find this via a Google search on the image:

Rocky Starr-Destination Venus (AUS) - All-otr.com

www.all-otr.com/R010a_RockyStarr.htm

250 × 250 - Rocky Starr-Destination Venus (AUS). This is an Australian children's show about the interplanetary adventures of daredevil Rocky Starr and his intrepid team.

So I searched the television database at the National Film and Sound Archive, and found this entry:

Title No: 714742

Title: ROCKY STAR

Production Date: 1 January 1992

Produced as: Series

Media: Television

Summary: Satirical black and white TV series produced in 1992 which reinterprets the 1950's radio drama series Rocky Starr. Rocky Star (Richard Morsley), Mitch Morgan ( Stephen Fearnley) and Diana Moore ( Kerry Fox) return to earth which is being terrorised by evil alien Zog. Screened on SBS. 20 episodes of 5 minutes duration.

Country of Origin: Australia

Language: English

The radio database had more - apparently Rocky ran for over 600 episodes.

So now we know. :cool:

That didn't ring a bell. There was a very good Australian comic called Silver Starr, but Rocky doesn't appear in the index of either standard reference on Australian comics. But I did find this via a Google search on the image:

250 × 250 - Rocky Starr-Destination Venus (AUS). This is an Australian children's show about the interplanetary adventures of daredevil Rocky Starr and his intrepid team.

So I searched the television database at the National Film and Sound Archive, and found this entry:

Summary: Satirical black and white TV series produced in 1992 which reinterprets the 1950's radio drama series Rocky Starr. Rocky Star (Richard Morsley), Mitch Morgan ( Stephen Fearnley) and Diana Moore ( Kerry Fox) return to earth which is being terrorised by evil alien Zog. Screened on SBS. 20 episodes of 5 minutes duration.

Here's a small voice from the back of the room, Stamina was a school clothing company back in the day (yes, school uniforms, not weird, get over it) and they had a history of doing "collectible" stuff.

I know I have a pack of collectors card from a pair of pants (well, yes, shorts) that illustrate this.

If pressed (see what I did there) I'll bugger about and not find them.

Great stuff Robot Man, I am thoroughly enjoying it :applause:

Here's a small voice from the back of the room, Stamina was a school clothing company back in the day (yes, school uniforms, not weird, get over it) and they had a history of doing "collectible" stuff.

I know I have a pack of collectors card from a pair of pants (well, yes, shorts) that illustrate this.

If pressed (see what I did there) I'll bugger about and not find them.

Great stuff Robot Man, I am thoroughly enjoying it :applause:

I for one adamantly refuse to press your shorts. :o

The boards seem a little slow these days. Are you guys actually working at work??? Only got a couple things today.

First up is a real hard to find Speed Comics #26. A great American flag/Nazi cover. These Speeds in the nimber 20's seem real hard to find.

comspeed26_zpse5895ca3.jpg

Speaking of Speed Comics, here is another very unusual item. Now, if you thing the comics are hard to find, try locating one of these. This is the Shock Gibson Speed Comics membership kit. I've seen a few of the pinbacks but this is the only complete kit I know of. The cover reproduction is slightly oversize and blank on back. For some reason, this stuff does not appeal to most comic collectors. I feel they go hand in hand and are an interesting extension to the comics themselves.

speedcomicskit_zps800e91b5.jpg

The boards seem a little slow these days. Are you guys actually working at work??? Only got a couple things today.

First up is a real hard to find Speed Comics #26. A great American flag/Nazi cover. These Speeds in the nimber 20's seem real hard to find.

I have always loved the cover to Speed Comics #26. (thumbs u I keep telling myself I need to get this book, but I agree, these issues in the 20s seem really hard to find.

I have always loved the cover to Speed Comics #26. (thumbs u I keep telling myself I need to get this book, but I agree, these issues in the 20s seem really hard to find.

Very tough indeed!

Speaking of Speed Comics, here is another very unusual item. Now, if you thing the comics are hard to find, try locating one of these. This is the Shock Gibson Speed Comics membership kit. I've seen a few of the pinbacks but this is the only complete kit I know of. The cover reproduction is slightly oversize and blank on back. For some reason, this stuff does not appeal to most comic collectors. I feel they go hand in hand and are an interesting extension to the comics themselves.

every day I look forward to what you are going to surprise me next, and that is very tough after collecting 50 years also. This newest membership kit floored me..where you are coming up with this stuff....well it shows what a true comic book collector can do...with a little bit of time...

speedcomicskit_zps800e91b5.jpg

Since I am on a "kit" run and I've been asked, here is some EC stuff:

First up is the set of "Ghoulantic" photos in the mailer. There are reproductions of these photos on thin paper but these are the real deal. I believe I got them from Grant Giessman many years ago in a trade.

ecphotos_zpsnjhiaq2f.jpg

Next up is a complete Fan Addict kit in the mailer with all 5 newsletter that were sent out later. There is also a repro of this kit with a sticker instead of the metal pin.

Cool back story on this one. In the late 1970's I used to go every week to Wonderworld Comics to get my new comics. The owner was an older man named Richard Kyle. Richard was an old time fan and ran with the Thompsons, Jerry Bails and was the publisher of Alter Ego I believe. We would always talk old comics. I asked him once what happened to his collection. He told me sadly, they were lost in a house fire. He knew I was a big EC fan. One day in December I went into his shop for my weekly comic fix and he said he had a Christmas present for me. He pulled this kit out from under the counter and handed it to me. I was floored and said I couldn't just take it as it was worth a lot of money. He said that it was the only thing left from his EC collection and he had sent away for it himself. He told me that if I agreed to never sell it it was mine! Richard, if you are reading this, I am a man of my word and still have it. And it ain't going nowhere!

ecfanaddictkit_zps6xcewj5n.jpg

Next in line is the 1972 EC Fan Addict Convention Kit. This was held in New York and featured Gaines, Feldstein and ALL the EC folks except Ghastly I believe. This kit is complete even down to the un-used tickets. Now this would have been something to see. I was just a kid and didn't even know about it at the time.

ecconkit_zpshiseoyvl.jpg

Last, but not least are a few items from the San Diego con 2000 EC reunion. Not many original folks left by then but I do remember, Elder, Williamson, Kamen, both the Severins, Davis and a few more were there. It was the best SD Con I ever attended! The badge on the card were given to attendies of the dinner. The bigger silver badge was given to the special guests I believe. I got mine from Jack Karen who said he thought it might have more to me than it did to him. I was at his table and we had a lot of laughs. VERY cool giy!

ec2000kit_zpsvh8jvf1j.jpg

Fantastic Stuff :applause:

GREAT backstory on the Fan Addict Kit and newsletter - it restores one's faith in the hobby when something like that happens.

Minor point - the mailer was sent to Larry Kyle and you got it from Richard (Kyle). Name change later in life?

I know it's minor, but you know how OCD and detail oriented collectors can be.