• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Fantastic Stuff :applause:

GREAT backstory on the Fan Addict Kit and newsletter - it restores one's faith in the hobby when something like that happens.

Minor point - the mailer was sent to Larry Kyle and you got it from Richard (Kyle). Name change later in life?

I know it's minor, but you know how OCD and detail oriented collectors can be.

Fair question. I asked him the same thing when he gave it to me. Larry is his brother. One year younger than him. They both bought tons of comics especially EC's off the racks in Oakland, CA. His brother sent for this and Richard swiped it from him.

OK, It's a little slow here on the farm today plus I noticed the ACE thread came alive. So if you don't mind here are a few more I had in the bucket:

First up is Super Mystery. It seems to get over shadowed by Four Favorites a bit. But there are many great covers on these as well. I am down to only one or two more to get all the ones I want.

comsupermystery4_zps4540f673.jpg

comsupermystery3_zps04db0621.jpg

comsupermystery2_zpsd04db8d3.jpg

comsupermystery1_zps5c1402e0.jpg

comsupemysteryv63_zpsa1e6723c.jpg

Fantastic Stuff :applause:

GREAT backstory on the Fan Addict Kit and newsletter - it restores one's faith in the hobby when something like that happens.

Minor point - the mailer was sent to Larry Kyle and you got it from Richard (Kyle). Name change later in life?

I know it's minor, but you know how OCD and detail oriented collectors can be.

Fair question. I asked him the same thing when he gave it to me. Larry is his brother. One year younger than him. They both bought tons of comics especially EC's off the racks in Oakland, CA. His brother sent for this and Richard swiped it from him.

Sibling rivalry over comics? The older brother covets and procures a valuable item from his brother.

The younger brother, unhappy, quietly plans his revenge . . .

This has all the makings of an E.C. horror story plot lol

Thanks for clearing it up, anyway. Kudos :applause:

The boards seem a little slow these days. Are you guys actually working at work??? Only got a couple things today.

First up is a real hard to find Speed Comics #26. A great American flag/Nazi cover. These Speeds in the nimber 20's seem real hard to find.

comspeed26_zpse5895ca3.jpg

Speaking of Speed Comics, here is another very unusual item. Now, if you thing the comics are hard to find, try locating one of these. This is the Shock Gibson Speed Comics membership kit. I've seen a few of the pinbacks but this is the only complete kit I know of. The cover reproduction is slightly oversize and blank on back. For some reason, this stuff does not appeal to most comic collectors. I feel they go hand in hand and are an interesting extension to the comics themselves.

speedcomicskit_zps800e91b5.jpg

Love this cover, ever since I saw it used as the cover for a book talking about comics being used for the American war effort in WW2. I also believe the original art for the title splash for this issue is being auctioned by Clink in Feb.

Richard Kyle moved south to Long Beach, CA, probably in the early 1960's, and opened a great paperback and new comics store. I never saw so many sci-fi paperbacks in one place before, but they were his passion more than comics. We always had interesting conversations.

Richard Kyle moved south to Long Beach, CA, probably in the early 1960's, and opened a great paperback and new comics store. I never saw so many sci-fi paperbacks in one place before, but they were his passion more than comics. We always had interesting conversations.

Yeah, he was great guy. Taught me a whole lot about GA comics. Even though he sold no back issues, it was my favorite comic store. Do you remember the long wall of framed Jack Kirby original pages and covers? I think it was $100. For a page and $150. For a cover. I think he and Jack were friends. If I only new then what I know now... He is pretty old but still around. I saw him at SD a few years back. Did you know John Versyl? He had a great little shop up in Alhambra with lots of old comics before he moved to Texas.

OK, It's a little slow here on the farm today plus I noticed the ACE thread came alive. So if you don't mind here are a few more I had in the bucket:

First up is Super Mystery. It seems to get over shadowed by Four Favorites a bit. But there are many great covers on these as well. I am down to only one or two more to get all the ones I want.

comsupemysteryv63_zpsa1e6723c.jpg

I have been on the Palais bandwagon for a few years. That paper cutter scan reminds me of what a great variety of covers he created.

Yellow Kid,I always wanted to show you this...

d70fe3f9-5196-4018-ba3c-16c8097ea0c3_zps4610776e.jpg

496dec76-5a97-4d43-86ac-0398ff835325_zps5a62cc18.jpg

Great book! There are so many wonderful books and magazines that are relatively unknown to most contemporary collectors. Just last week a friend of mine who is a major Disney collector marveled at the fact that publisher's beautiful bound volumes of children's magazines with art by the greatest illustrators of their time like Kemble, Cox, and Cady, were available so inexpensively, often less than $50 a volume in nice condition.