• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Citrus fruit labels lasted from the 1880's til the mid-1950's, designed to be attached to wooden crate ends - this identified the product and served as a form of advertising.

The brand names varied widely and ranged across the entire board, including this Mutt example (from the 1930's):

f70fc892-d94a-4f65-b716-b0f8b6445f36_zpstt4ucgdr.jpg

As a kid, these "orange crates" were a wonderful supply of wood to build things with...

like a cart for hauling ice from the Ice House...to build a scooter with roller skates...

to make my "Shoe Shine Box"...even as the first book case to store my comics...the

labels were almost totally ignored.

mm

Black Cat #1. I am almost embarrased to post this beater but it was a $10. purchase and well worth the 10 spot at the time. And, since when am I embarrased to post a beater?

comblackcat1_zpsdg5g8yym.jpg

Black Cat is awesome :) love that cover :)

"Hooded Guys" Weather they be Nazis, Monsters, Clansmen or just any other coward who hides behind a mask to kill or cause mayhem, they have been a staple of comics almost from the beginning. I've selected some of my favorites today. Now, I didn't delve into the Timely or Horror boxes so I thought I'd let you people do that for me...

I'll start with my favorite one. Probably one of my top 5 Nedors. Fighting Yank #23. I love the colors and mood of this one. It would have got my dime fast if I could have bought it off the stands!

comfightingyank23_zps650toq96.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

Rangers Comics #21. Maybe my favorite Rangers cover. Oh, look at the colors! I once had a better copy without the grease pencil scribble but it was a little faded so I "upgraded" to this one.

comrangers21a_zpsfokionum.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

Green Hornet #15. Lot going on here. I know I don't want to set sail on the "Nazi Ghost Ship". Sorry, I don't have that cool original art to this but this beater has a happy home in my collection...

comgreenhornet15_zpshorhfnr9.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

And last but not least, one of the best "Hooded Guy" covers, by Wally Wood. The colors and mood as well as Woody's attention to detail makes this one of my favorite Shock Suspense Stories covers! My eyes, go from the beautiful girl, to the mean dude with the whip to the background figures, car with headlights, torches, and the moon. Sadly, doesn't look like any superhero is around to save her. I will have to read it again since it's outta the box!

comshocksuspense6_zpsj3lykwfp.jpg

Edited by Robot Man