• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

A few more crazy "just weird" comics!

Johnny Surge 1947 giveaway. Totally out there book with a talking cow milking machine and a "infinity" cover to boot!

comjohnnysurge_zpsmxovrfom.jpg

One can just imagine the discussion between writer and artist.

(Writer) "I'm going to need you to anthropomorphise a milking machine".

(Artist) "Say what?"

lol

Neat book. I really like oddball stuff like this.

lol such a strange cover.

Sparkle #10 Great Nancy and Sluggo. These are all pretty good books for humor books. Very good reads and a lot of real off the wall covers like this:

comsparkle10_zps0dtsecor.jpg

I never got Nancy; they should have just kept a Fritzi Ritz around! What a great name too; imagine meeting someone named Fritzi today?

Here is the very rare Silver Streak premium picture...

I don't doubt that at all.

This thread is a real treat. Thanks for taking the time to share pictures of your treasures. (worship)

Here is the very rare Silver Streak premium picture...

silverstreakpicture_zps4ujpyrwu.jpg

Fantastic graphics.

The graphics might be by Jack Cole, but there's no way of knowing sure since the reproduced illustration is unsigned. Jack Cole did some early Silver Streak (the character) as well as Daredevil & Dickie Dean, Boy Inventor and the line-shading on SS's muscles looks a lot like Cole's work. Note: Cole SS page added below for comparison (courtesy Google images):

SS6nn01.jpg

It would also be interesting to know who in the Lev Gleason offices actually signed the premiums for the kids requesting 'em. hm

It must have been a secretary or some one with a little time on their hands. I doubt they had to sign many because I have only seen one other one. The "To my Pal Silver Streak" is printed with a space for the kid's name in center. Mine is pretty beat but I was glad to find it.

Anyone got a Silver Streak that offers it?

Anyone got a Silver Streak that offers it?

There was a Silver Streak contest whose winners were announced in issue #6 (I don't know where the contest originated, but if I had to venture a guess I'd suggest possibly issue #4). Perhaps this "Pal" piece was part of that contest?